Starting my own project - Thermoworks, Arduino, Pi

GeordieStew

Hi all

Software developer (C#) by trade (based in the UK), with no electronics experience (with some mechanical engineering thrown in).

Just finishing my first UDS build...and looking to add some temperature measurement/logging.

I have an ET732 but it's just not enough to satisfy my geekery.

I've picked up various Thermoworks probes, an Arduino uno and a Pi3. As well as many different electronics bits and bobs. I've slowly started pulling them together. And looking at some very basic Arduino programming. I have some questions...

1) The Thermoworks probes appear to be 100k ohm resistance at 25 degrees C. Should I be using a 100k ohm resistor in the voltage divider circuit?
2) Does anyone know the Beta factor and coefficients for these probes?
3) Any working Arduino code or could someone help me with some snippets?
4) I've also just ordered a Thermocouple and breakout board and connector for my grill probe and to play with. Is this the right thing to do? I understand that they're useful for higher temps.

Many thanks in advance

Stew

Hi all

Software developer (C#) by trade (based in the UK), with no electronics experience (with some mechanical engineering thrown in).

Just finishing my first UDS build...and looking to add some temperature measurement/logging.

I have an ET732 but it's just not enough to satisfy my geekery.

I've picked up various Thermoworks probes, an Arduino uno and a Pi3. As well as many different electronics bits and bobs. I've slowly started pulling them together. And looking at some very basic Arduino programming. I have some questions...

1) The Thermoworks probes appear to be 100k ohm resistance at 25 degrees C. Should I be using a 100k ohm resistor in the voltage divider circuit?
2) Does anyone know the Beta factor and coefficients for these probes?
3) Any working Arduino code or could someone help me with some snippets?
4) I've also just ordered a Thermocouple and breakout board and connector for my grill probe and to play with. Is this the right thing to do? I understand that they're useful for higher temps.

Many thanks in advance

Stew

Old post, but how did this go? I just started my project using a raspberry pi zero w. Monitoring and logging is working as of yesterday, and now I'm waiting for parts for control to arrive.

Check out the heatermeter forum, no need to code, it's all already done for you!
This. The Heatermeter is a great device and a worthwhile project. If that doesn't scratch the itch, then at least use it as a starting point and improve upon it. Perhaps code up something that will allow it to control multiple pits.

Back