Waterlogged Butt

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Thawing a butt in the sink and accidentally let it get soaked with water.
Planning on trimming and salting it when thawed.
Am I in trouble?

I am also curious: does the no concern hold true for pork and beef? Is there a point in time where there would be a problem?

You're in BIG trouble with the butt gods. Actually put it in the dryer for a quick spin cycle :D

To expand on my original question, does anyone actually let a Butt thaw in the sink (cold water method) nekkid (without any wrapping at all)?
BTW, that Butt came out great!!

I usually cook fully frozen or partially defrosted butts with no problems.
Just takes the WSM an extra hour to come up to temp.

Tim

I've done that, too. But have you ever thawed one in the sink? I want to know if I can throw one in there for mostly all day with no wrapping, and it cook alright.

Mine are usually wrapped in cryo, but as long as the sink is sanitized clean I don't see a problem.

Tim

I've never seen the need to thaw one - I just slather in mustard and rub and throw it on. Don't try to inject it though. ;)

I wouldn't do it if the butt was completely unwrapped. In lieu of the sink, I'd place it in a large food grade bucket or stock pot. Just my opinion.

<scratches head> If you're gonna submerge unwrapped pork butts to thaw, at least brine them at the same time.

I wouldn't intentionally thaw a frozen pork butt unwrapped in water, no more than I'd do it with a turkey or a steak or any other meat. Meat will take on water when soaked in plain water. Like JKalchik said, it's a whole different story if we're talking a brining. But that was not Charles intention.

Back