Who wants to see my clam?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've been a reefer (in the loosest sense) since ~2006...............back in 11/2015 I was about to abandon the hobby over a $150 purchase to keep it going...... so I moved my bookshelves out of the kitchen and half-assed it by moving a bunch of my stuff to where it'd be seen.

>>>>SNIP(((talk about the $$$$, nobody cares about that)))

So here's my tank with renewed interest. These can be so cool when they're clean and done right, I just don't know what I want, so I try re-doing what I've liked & new things I hope will work:

36961319_10212434055428353_515338591677710336_o.jpg

36898662_10212434046628133_5115030325520498688_o.jpg

36831861_10212434047908165_8338574916651581440_o.jpg

36852342_10212434053748311_7785335789797244928_o.jpg

36874284_10212434054868339_4568603914445783040_o.jpg

And to the other reefers: Yes I know my tank needs attention (I'm working on it) :) Lay off of me!

The clam is fed by the lights, it's not going to make a pearl, and I hope I end up with a healthy specimen rather than another 6" shell from my last effort.

Nice looking salt water tank, Clint. The water looks clear, and the color is good.

I have a 30 gallon fresh water tank. Never tried salt water yet.

Nice looking salt water tank, Clint. The water looks clear, and the color is good.

I have a 30 gallon fresh water tank. Never tried salt water yet.

Freshwater are awesome too! I'm not too picky, I like them all - planted, tropical, cichlid, discus, koi, I just like watching them....always have.

I had a homemade/modified random skiimmer - the pump went out ~6 months ago so I've been doing without. I just got a new skimmer, that's part of what got me going again - next is the ATO & other automated (just the ATO reservoir & RO/DI supply line) - stuff for that will be here this coming Thursday. I've neglected it so much that I got bubble algae, so water changes and emerald crabs have been deployed. I had a bicolor blenny years ago, got another one of them, I also got 3 bengaii cardinals (captive bred), and I'm hoping for a one-spot rabbit fish next, but I'm in no hurry----kind of fearing another cycle so taking it "slow". I'm also interested in a pair of leopard wrasse (need a sand bed to bury themselves to sleep in at night), a cleaner wrasse, serpent star,,,,,,,, but I'm going for a system that needs little care and little attention. Not sure how well I'm doing so far.

I built a stand and light hangers, need a new tank...............watch for updates - maybe my POS will look NICE one day.

I'd love to see a pic of your tank if you feel like posting it.

Nice looking tank Clint, Only had fresh water myself...I always want a salt tank but just to much upkeep on them and they are expensive to get up and running.

Impressive stuff Clint ! I can't even keep my sourdough starter alive so there's no way I could do what you're doing :D

Nice looking tank Clint, Only had fresh water myself...I always want a salt tank but just to much upkeep on them and they are expensive to get up and running.

The used market is the best way but the thing is, you have to know what you're getting......

Impressive stuff Clint ! I can't even keep my sourdough starter alive so there's no way I could do what you're doing :D

Thanks. I'd say there's nothing to it but the shelf full of mostly-read books (some just thumbed through) might say otherwise. I try to make the systems fairly self sustaining so I can leave for a few days and not have to worry about it. Not real sure what I'm doing, just playing around with it. I'll try to post a pic now n then if I make remarkable progress.

I'd love to see a pic of your tank if you feel like posting it.

I have some pictures, and I will post them ASAP.

I used to a have a 10 gallon tank, too, but I let it go so I could concentrate on the big tank.

One thing about the aquarium hobby, it's taught me some things about water chemistry. I didn't know that 70% of fish waste (mostly ammonia) is passed through the gills, and that nitrifying bacteria grow best when the water pH is near neutral. I imagine the same principle holds true for septic tanks - which could explain why some folks have troubles if their tank pH level drops much into the acid zone?

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...

Correct!

no but it looks nice

You must not have an eight year old in the house. The layout is the town of "Bikini Bottom." This is where SpongeBob Squarepants lives.

I really want to change it up and make it more of a natural setting, but my daughter still wants this theme.

Last edited:
Nice, Pat!

Looks very clear!

Here in may area, we have soft water, so I add an alkaline buffer which helps to keep the water clear too. Being in Texas, I assume you have hard water?

Nice, Pat!

Looks very clear!

Here in may area, we have soft water, so I add an alkaline buffer which helps to keep the water clear too. Being in Texas, I assume you have hard water?

Thanks! Yes, hard water here in Texas. Next house we will probably get a water softener.

I use tap water with dechlorinater, that's all.

Speaking of dechlorination, I had troubles with fish dying until I installed a faucet-mounted water filter (even though I was dechlorinating the water before adding it to the tank). The filter removes a host of of stuff besides chlorine too.

Correct!

You must not have an eight year old in the house. The layout is the town of "Bikini Bottom." This is where SpongeBob Squarepants lives.

I really want to change it up and make it more of a natural setting, but my daughter still wants this theme.

SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!

At least it's not pinkey dinkey doo, Barney, or tele tubbies :)

Themed tanks are fun.

>>>>>I run a 6 stage RO/DI filter

Back