Any reasonable toaster recommendations?

My toaster knife would be getting a workout with that one from oxo!

latest

I might just go back to putting the stuff over the stove! I’m not going over a hundred bucks unless it bakes the bread, slices, toasts and butters it, then washes the knife and plate.

I might just go back to putting the stuff over the stove! I’m not going over a hundred bucks unless it bakes the bread, slices, toasts and butters it, then washes the knife and plate.
Here ya go. $20 . Not that you'd get it from here (Ebay Canada) BUT it does the job and never breaks
$_59.JPG

And another for $20

$_59.JPG

Plus its an antique!

Last edited:
Nah. I used them as a kid (as a novelty). Safe as houses :D Only thing to ensure is that the cord is good. Easy to update in any case.

To op, why cant you fix the lever ? As to the rest, I find it hilarious how picky folks are about their toast. My dad loved his toast and mom burned the bread from the oven burner. He would then scrape off the char to his liking.

As to the rest, I find it hilarious how picky folks are about their toast.
For me it's like most everything else related to cooking. I do it because I like it, not just because I have to eat. I'm always looking to improve, always seeking perfection. Making the perfect piece of toast is included in this. Toast is a big part of my breakfast most mornings and I'm rather particular about how I like my toast. I want it uniform on both sides.

The thing that gets me is the electric toaster has been around for over 100 years and most of the ones in existence don't work any better than those first ones. Many of them are clearly worse. If you want one that will evenly toast the bread, both sides, top to bottom, right to left, you apparently have to spend ridiculous amounts of money. It shouldn't be like this.

We need that Dyson guy to start working on a toaster.

Oh the Dyson guy. Than he'll come up with some space ship looking thing that costs $750 and still "sucks" Honestly what that guy has convinced people they need is outrageous. Take a look on YouTube for BoltR or AVe he has some Dyson stuff torn apart and exposes it for the fraud it is

I started to watch one of those videos but I'm afraid my tolerance for completely unnecessary, moronic profanity has become very low. The guy sounds stupid. Opening the box with a reciprocating saw didn't raise my opinion. I turned it off before he even got the thing completely unboxed.

As for Dyson being a fraud, I'm afraid my personal experience leads me to a very different conclusion. I bought my first Dyson when I was renting a four bedroom house. The landlord had the carpet professionally cleaned right before I moved in. The previous tenants were obviously heavy smokers -- the place smelled like an ash tray -- so I bought a good vacuum cleaner in the hopes it would help with the smell. The first few times I vacuumed it pulled so much dust out of the carpet I had to empty it after each room. After a week of daily vacuuming I was able to do the whole house before needing to empty the vacuum. Eventually it got to where I could vacuum several times before emptying. That Dyson must have pulled 50 pounds of dust out of that freshly "cleaned" carpet before it clearly was picking up just new dust.

There was a similar experience when I bought a Dyson for my mother. She regularly vacuumed with a decent quality Hoover. The new Dyson obviously picked up way more than the Hoover, the canister needing to be emptied midway through on the first couple sessions. Now it can go several complete vacuumings before needing to be emptied.

I can't speak to the alleged quality of the guts of the machine but I do know that both the models I've purchased have vastly outperformed whatever came before them. Regular use after the initial remedial vacuuming sessions leaves me knowing the carpet is as clean as it's going to get.

If Dyson made a toaster, I'm sure it would cost $500, but I'm also pretty sure it would make perfect toast every time.

OT: he's a great reviewer IMO, I found him when I was doing comparisons between my old framing saw (makita hypoid), the saws everyone else was using (skilsaw) and what I wound up with (skilsaw titanium - he was hard on it, now manufactured in China). It only took me trying to build a wall with a POS cordless saw to motivate me to buy a new one.

Even though he seems to....um...not be so refined, and not so friendly to the manufacturers, I'm happy especially when considering different products, to see stuff taken apart and critiqued. If you want product friendly 5-star reviews, you can go to amazon or download brochures, or talk to slick salespeople, if you want to see the guts & know what you're getting, you can watch videos from this guy. I can see being turned away by his language if I wasn't interested in the product....you're obviously in love with your Dyson, not that there's anything wrong with that ;) Most people love them.

I wonder which vacuum he does like.

Here's a toaster review for you :) I like the 2nd one. I used my Panasonic to toast a pita last night for my butter chicken, and it, I think, has a the same footprint and does a better job at toasting.....but I digest.

The Smeg toaster? I have to get one of those. Oh, wait... $150? Maybe not. That's only $30 less than the 4-slice smart Breville.

I also noticed that even the very expensive ones have the typical uneven toasting issue where one side toasts darker than the other. That's one of the reasons I tend to prefer the ones that have a single long slot. You don't get heat from the other toaster slot leaking through and making the inside hotter than the outside.

Last edited:

Back