Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Today will be about 20 hatdogs and 20 hamburgers. Tomorrow will be the same. Why, because it's a cheap way to grill for a bunch of people coming over.

Today will be about 20 hatdogs and 20 hamburgers. Tomorrow will be the same. Why, because it's a cheap way to grill for a bunch of people coming over.

Good stuff.

In other news, a first for me:

49400878_10213636027236897_758335656463171584_n.jpg

I went on an adventure today. What should have been a three hour tour from my house to the place in CA Bay area I was traveling to and from turned into about five hours. I suppose I should have expected that given the traffic in parts of the trek but I left home with optimism. Told my other half I would be gone for a couple hours. That didn't happen.

So today was actually a decent day and while on my journey I decided to roll down the window and enjoy some of the sun that has been elusive lately. It was very nice until I hit the button to roll the window back up and heard a popping sound. The window made it about half way up. At this point I already knew what was going on. The window regulator was taking a crap. On my way home it was getting pretty cold and the window was stuck all the way down because the regulator is done. I'll continue the story later.

I hate doing regulators. Well on an old Saturn "S" series not so bad. You simply take off the outer door skin and voila you can reach everything. No pinched fingers, cur arms, bad language LOL

Three hour tour continued:

Those of you that follow the gas grill section of this forum are familiar with "I'll just leave this here will thread will know. There was a grill that sparked my interest on craigslist myself and another member of the forums local to me had seen. Our other member posted the links to the grill I was eyeballing. Anyone that looked again at the link in that thread (and I'm pretty sure no one did) would know that the one I was interested in is no longer listed. It was in the SF bay area and that is between 2 and 4 hours from me depending on what part of the area. I have never gone so far for a CL, or any other listing before. I try to find things in my *hood. With that said, I emailed the seller and didn't get a response too quickly. I assumed it was because someone else had already bought the grill. Nothing new, its happened before. Then I get an email, nothing new, it's happened before. In fact my phone goes off so often I don't always look rite away. But this time I did, and it was from the seller. They gave a phone number in the response so I called them. After a short chat they told me that they had several responses to their ad but I was the first to actually respond back to them. I explained that I was not close to them and it would take me a while to get there. They said the first person to show up gets it. After a brief chat they said they would hold it for me for a set amount of time. Actually they said we will be home until 3 PM but I figured that meant they would not continually wait for me. Either way I made it around 2:45 and rang the door bell. A nice lady answered and says, you must be the guy for the grill, followed by a nice gentleman who introduced himself and went to open the side gate. The grill was as advertised and no surprises to me (listing said scratch on lid, but it turned out to be the dreaded fade) given the pictures from the listing.

Now as for my car window. LMichaels, I will not be replacing the regulator myself. I have a warranty for the car that will cover parts and labor with a $100 delectable. However it's still a pain in the arus since I will have to be without my car during that time. And remember that nice weather I mentioned yesterday. Today it is raining and a few minutes ago was coming down in buckets! Yes I tarped the car before started raining, thankfully.

Well I can tell you this "old" mechanic doesn't do them anymore either. I either take my cars to a dealer for work (though honestly that's pretty rare for a Toyota) or a guy I know who is ASE certified and works from his home garage. This old body just doesn't do what it did even only 7 years ago. Though coming this spring I may just go ahead and finally replace the original front struts and one motor mount that mother nature has been having her way with (they're rusting not wearing away) on my 2001 Toyota Highlander. I need to look after the brakes as well on that car. The 2011 Highlander is coming up to spark plug time not a job I relish on that 3.5 V6. Wiper cowl needs to come off, intake manifold, air box and so on. So that job may go to dealer LOL. I don't think my back could take it. Though I have seen evidence of the plugs in that engine going well beyond 200k miles and I am quite a few years from reaching that milestone LOL

Well I can tell you this "old" mechanic doesn't do them anymore either. I either take my cars to a dealer for work (though honestly that's pretty rare for a Toyota) or a guy I know who is ASE certified and works from his home garage. This old body just doesn't do what it did even only 7 years ago. Though coming this spring I may just go ahead and finally replace the original front struts and one motor mount that mother nature has been having her way with (they're rusting not wearing away) on my 2001 Toyota Highlander. I need to look after the brakes as well on that car. The 2011 Highlander is coming up to spark plug time not a job I relish on that 3.5 V6. Wiper cowl needs to come off, intake manifold, air box and so on. So that job may go to dealer LOL. I don't think my back could take it. Though I have seen evidence of the plugs in that engine going well beyond 200k miles and I am quite a few years from reaching that milestone LOL

I'm the same way Larry, laying on the concrete garage floor isn't going to happen anymore. My 2002 4runner is creeping up on 200k but everything works fine and no leaks or oil usage. The 2001 an 2002s were built on the Landcruiser chassis and the thing is built like a tank. If it needs any work I'll take to a mechanic I know and trust before I try and mess with it.

One of my customers raised Caine with someone wanting to know how much for him to install some brake pads that he had, but didn't want to put on himself.
Jimmy cussed him pretty good, then quoted him an outrageous price!
Seems that his mechanics get a portion of all parts that they install, plus the labor charge.
I had another customer today that was asked the same thing.
$69 for the install, plus $25 per rotor turned.
Deal, but I'm still gonna redo my own brakes when I get around to it! :p

One of my customers raised Caine with someone wanting to know how much for him to install some brake pads that he had, but didn't want to put on himself.
Jimmy cussed him pretty good, then quoted him an outrageous price!
Seems that his mechanics get a portion of all parts that they install, plus the labor charge.
I had another customer today that was asked the same thing.
$69 for the install, plus $25 per rotor turned.
Deal, but I'm still gonna redo my own brakes when I get around to it! :p

Phil, that's like going to a restaurant and asking them to cook a steak you brought in.

Tim

Phil, that's like going to a restaurant and asking them to cook a steak you brought in.

Tim

Tim, the place that cussed the guy out was an independent garage, and continually gets a "best of the county" distinction from the local newspaper.
The one that said "yeah, here's the price" was part of a chain.
I'd still rather let Jimmy do my brakes than the chain guys!

Not all brake linings (like bbq's) are created equal. And the first time those brakes make noise, guess who's fault it is? Why, Jimmy's of course! Jimmy sounds like a smart guy chasing that customer out with cursing & crazy prices!

Not all brake linings (like bbq's) are created equal. And the first time those brakes make noise, guess who's fault it is? Why, Jimmy's of course! Jimmy sounds like a smart guy chasing that customer out with cursing & crazy prices!

Totally agree. Not going to stand behind a job with unknown parts. They might work they might not

Tim

That's true, but there are some good mechanics around here that will let you buy the parts. I've done it a few times, but I always purchase the good stuff for installation.

Back