I Hate Meeces To Pieces. And Rats, Too.

I haven't had any mice or rats get into my grills (perhaps due to the population of black rat snakes who live near the house...

Yes, they're around here too. Cat birds chased a large one down the street one day, and they took turns pecking him in the head. The snake ran for his life, lol.

Moving forward, after each use I think I'll burn off the grill and do a quick clean of the hood, control panel, work surfaces, and drip pan to make it the least attractive target I can.

I did that often after a cook. Everything turns to carbon, and there have been times the whole box flamed up. :eek:

Looks like you're on the right track, but that has to be the cleanest grill I have ever seen. I've seen kitchen stoves that weren't that clean.

What a story!

I have not had any problems with rodents. Squirrels have chewed thru my gasser lines causing deck area to smell like propane. Had to replace the lines twice. That was in NC and now that I have moved to SC, I am watching the squirrels closely.

Keep us updated.

Last edited:
I can't tell if you're using the word rat and mouse interchangeably. I'm in the bay area too and it's just small tiny mice I have to worry about time to time. NONE of the traps worked except for one type. It was the only one sensitive enough for super small mice. I bought the newer black ones thinking it was the same and they did not work. Went looking for older white ones and got mice on first night. I caught 2 of them before I was even done setting up the 3rd and 4th ones. Link below.

Once I was setting them up in the garage with the door open and the neighbor's cat comes walking down my driveway and stops and stares at me. A tiny mouse was in it's mouth and we gave each other a little nod of acknowledgement and carried on.

Another time I caught one in the house in the middle of the night. Only it's leg was caught and it was dragging the mouse trap all over the hardwood floors in the room downstairs. We almost called the police thinking it was intruder. I had the baseball bat in my hand when I found the sucker.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00N6XKVNY/tvwb-20

71pZQ4lpZ1L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tell if you're using the word rat and mouse interchangeably.
Well, they come in all different sizes. In the past I've caught little ones in mouse traps and this time a good sized one in a rat trap. I assume the little ones are mice, but I don't know. The subject of this story was a big dude and I assume was a roof rat given our region and his brown color.

I had a guy at The Home Depot try to sell me those Tomcat traps, and what I like about that design is that you can put any bait like peanut butter way down in the bottom of the cup, so they really have to get up on that pedal to get in there.

But I was reading a website from a professional exterminator who recommended the Victor rat traps with the yellow pedal because they have a sensitivity setting. I don't have experience with the Tomcat trap shown, but with the Tomcat wooden rat trap I tried in the past, the critters just licked off the peanut butter and walked away! Thus I was ready to try something different.

So far, so good. Four traps remain set, and no footprints on my grill so far. :)

According to that map, roof rats are common around here too.

Roof cats are common around here too - thankfully. :p

Back