Two-stage burgers

No need for me. I grind my own hamburger.....

Chris is spot on.

Ever since using this approach when grilling burgers and I've had more compliments than I can count: https://aht.seriouseats.com/2010/03/the-burger-labs-top-ten-tips-for-better-burgers.html

I don't grind my own beef, but I buy freshly ground steak trimmings from the local grocery store, and they are some of the best burgers I've ever had, if not the best.

FWIW - I highly recommend this burger press: https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/Cooking+Tools/Prep+Tools/Burger+%26+Slider+Press/1174

FWIW - I highly recommend this burger press:

I dont recommend using a burger press. Over-working and compacting the patties will give you a tough, mealy texture. Burger should be formed loosely by hand, to have many air pockets throughout. I do use a mold tho, so I suppose you could use the bottom part for that, but never "press" your patties.

I was just kidding with you. :p
Meatloaf, meatballs and burgers should be formed by hand. You push to hard and they become dense, like you say you need those pockets.
Another Jem I learned from JOY back in the 80's.:)

Tim

NP Timothy, but "Jem"? And "JOY"?

Im 58, so some of the '80s were lost for me...please school me. ;)

Like a few others in the thread, I always reverse sear my burgers. Take them to a temp in the 120s then sear over high heat, try to take them off around 145 due to the carryover. Also allows for a beer or two during the cook.

Do you recommend the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment? Thanks.

Who is this question directed at? If me yes I do but with "reservations". The new version of the grinder is made of plastic and tends to break easily. If you want one I would look on FleaBay for an old style Hobart all metal one. Or look into the Chef's Choice brand one made of all stainless steel. Expensive but worth it either way. I just sold my last NOS Hobart grinder attachment not too long ago otherwise I would work something out with you. Also I just noticed KA has listened to their critics re the poor quality of the plastic version and they now sell this https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...xer-metal-food-grinder-attachment.ksmmga.html honestly IMO worth it

Barb and I grind our own using a Kitchen Aid, it works fine although not the fastest grinder out there. We do a course grind ground then a fine grind. Using the bulk of the grind with chuck roast and whatever remnants I might have. We just picked up about 10 pounds of chuck for $1.97 a pound half of the price of ground chuck.

The big problem I have/had with my plastic KA grinder is sanitation. There was a bit of molding flash in the back of the screw chamber where the flutes start that was trapping meat and was very difficult to clean out. I ended up spending some quality time with a long riffler file to very carefully clean up the flash and clean-up is now a lot easier. I've also been letting mine soak for a bit in PBW (Powder Brewery Wash, basically a food safe Oxi-clean) to thoroughly kill off anything that might be lurking about.

The plastic one will break right at the hub. I can guarantee that. I have an old Hobart one. I wash it in mix of soap and bleach. Have never had an issue. I think the new version of it sold by KA I linked to is DW safe but not sure

I have a Sous Vide and you can cook the burgers in the Sous Vide to 135 or 140, then do a quick sear and they turn out great...perfectly pink in the center and charred on the outside. So basically same concept, but different technique.

Do you recommend the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment? Thanks.

For occasional home grinding, it does the job. Couple of hints: Before you grind, cut the meat into 1" cubes, arrange it in one layer on a sheet pan and put it into the freezer for about an hour, or until it gets a frozen crust, but is still somewhat pliable -- semi-frozen. Put the KA grinder attachment into the freezer as well. When you start grinding, go as quickly as you can to keep everything a cold as possible for as long as possible. catch the ground meat in a metal bowl sitting in a larger, ice-filled bowl -- again to keep everything cold. If you make a second pass, keep everything thing as cold as possible again.

It's a bit of a PITA, but the cold approach makes it work as it should.

Jeff

BTW I use my food processor more to make hamburger or taco meat than my meat grinder. It's just faster and slightly easier to clean

Don't know about the problem of breakage with the plastic KA meat grinder, mine has well over 300 lbs. which would be 600 lbs.with the double grind of meat through it, have the KA running on the second step no problems at all. True it is a PITA to clean properly. Don't rush it and it works fine.

You're one of the lucky ones Rich. I have never seen them not crack st the hub. My customers who have them complain all the time and I have sold every metal one with ease

Back