All in one

TroyS

TVWBB Member
Interested in using my WSM 22.5 for an upcoming comp which will be comprised of ribs, brisket and chicken. Has anyone or is anyone familiar with this approach? I think between sound coordination of my times and using a Cambro that it might be feasible but just the same any advice or info is welcome.

Here's another article by Harry's partner-in-crime Donna Fong: http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/10/the-lancaster-challenge-blazin-bbq-throwdown-by-donna-fong/

Donna did all four meats in a 14.5" WSM. You'll find some good info in the article if you read carefully.

I think Harry has cooked a number of contests using only one 18.5" WSM, but his usual setup is two 18.5" WSMs. Using one 22.5" WSM should be very doable.

Yes, it is very doable.
I use a 16 - 18 lb brisket in contest and it goes in around midnight into 250F-275F WSM, and comes out around 9 am (for 1:30 pm turnin; just keep the brisket warm wrapped in blanket in an igloo).
Ribs go in at 7:30 am @ 275F and are done by noon.
Chicken goes in 9:40 am @275F WSM and is done by 11:40 (for 12 pm turn-in).
Brisket goes on top grate and ribs go into a rib rack on bottom grate.
When the brisket is done, move the ribs to top rack and place raw chicken on bottom rack.
Best of luck and post pics at https://www.facebook.com/SlapYoDaddyBBQ/

Regards,
Harry

Yes, it is very doable.
I use a 16 - 18 lb brisket in contest and it goes in around midnight into 250F-275F WSM, and comes out around 9 am (for 1:30 pm turnin; just keep the brisket warm wrapped in blanket in an igloo).
Ribs go in at 7:30 am @ 275F and are done by noon.
Chicken goes in 9:40 am @275F WSM and is done by 11:40 (for 12 pm turn-in).
Brisket goes on top grate and ribs go into a rib rack on bottom grate.
When the brisket is done, move the ribs to top rack and place raw chicken on bottom rack.
Best of luck and post pics at https://www.facebook.com/SlapYoDaddyBBQ/

Regards,
Harry

Thank you for the response Harry I really appreciate it. I'll post some pics after the competition next month.

Here's another article by Harry's partner-in-crime Donna Fong: http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/10/the-lancaster-challenge-blazin-bbq-throwdown-by-donna-fong/

Donna did all four meats in a 14.5" WSM. You'll find some good info in the article if you read carefully.

I think Harry has cooked a number of contests using only one 18.5" WSM, but his usual setup is two 18.5" WSMs. Using one 22.5" WSM should be very doable.

Thank you Chris! Much appreciated.

I think one of the keys to making it work is being able to correctly predict when your meats will be done and adjust your temperature, or meats, or placement of meat accordingly. Understanding that if you load up with more meat than usual, you will likely slow your cooking process is important. So adjust by giving yourself more time, higher temps, or trim your meats down can be helpful. Best of luck! Donna

I think one of the keys to making it work is being able to correctly predict when your meats will be done and adjust your temperature, or meats, or placement of meat accordingly. Understanding that if you load up with more meat than usual, you will likely slow your cooking process is important. So adjust by giving yourself more time, higher temps, or trim your meats down can be helpful. Best of luck! Donna

I do plan to trim ahead of time and start earlier with both fire building as well as cooking. The time line that Harry laid out is very close to mine but my temps will run closer to 275. With that said, I am going to arrange my cook in near fashion and utilize the Cambro as a buffer for temp preservation. My brisket time/temp usually runs approx 7 to 8 hours for a 14lb cut. Ribs are usually in the 5 hour range and I've done chicken several times inside of 2.5 hours. Hopefully I'll do enough prep work which allows me to focus on keeping the temps stable and letting the Weber do it's thing. Thank you Donna for the information. I sincerely appreciate you guys.

Happy to report that the competition was great. No, I did not place but I'm fine with learning and growing. The WSM was fantastic! Temps were fairly consistent and I had no trouble getting all 3 category meats done correctly. The only hitch (for me anyway) was the turn in times were later than I thought and brisket was not to be turned in until 3 pm. With a noon turn in for chicken followed by ribs at 1:30 I decided to set the brisket on the top rack for the duration while rotating ribs to chicken in the interim. Using a Cambro is new for me and I got cold feet in deciding whether to have the brisket done before the other two. But it worked out great. Fire lit at 3 am and both brisket with ribs on at 4. I normally cook at 275 and never touch the brisket for at least 4 hours. At 6:00 I wrapped the ribs, spritzed the brisket and got a little rest until 8:00. At 8 I wrapped the brisket (approx. 160 dg) and placed the ribs in the cambro. The ribs were in good shape and I knew they would need another hour to hour and a half. Chicken went on and things were going smooth. At approx. 11:15 the chicken looked good and I removed it for turn in prep. Knowing I had until 1:30 to turn in ribs I elected to leave them in the Cambro and just stay with the chicken. The brisket was doing fine and the temp was around 190. After the chicken was ready and turned in I put the ribs back on and checked the brisket. Probe tender was close. Ribs were sauced and the brisket was removed around 1:00 pm. With the brisket vented and in the Cambro I made my pick of turn in ribs, prepped the box and the cooking was officially done. At 3 pm the brisket went to the judges and I headed back for some wings and sausage to feed some family and friends. All total the WSM was hot for approx. 13 hours on one load of coals along with the wood chunks used during the smoke. I had help with a PartyQ lol! As I said not placing was a little disappointing but I feel like my time, temps and prep work are getting there. Flavor and smoke are the two areas I'll be working on now. The food was good but I think for competition level that the flavor needed a bit more pop. It's not hard for me to believe that judges off the street can get a bit bored with sweet and heat while tasting dozens of boxes. Thank you all for the information. As soon as I can get a format to post some pics I will. Thank you again! Love the WSM!!!

That's awesome! I did my first comp a few weeks ago and the education was huge. I've read a bunch of 'all in one' info but wasn't brave enough to try. I ended up bringing my 18 and my 22 wsm with a 22 kettle for chicken. Mission accomplished though, I didn't come in last.

That's awesome! I did my first comp a few weeks ago and the education was huge. I've read a bunch of 'all in one' info but wasn't brave enough to try. I ended up bringing my 18 and my 22 wsm with a 22 kettle for chicken. Mission accomplished though, I didn't come in last.

Sounds like a good time just the same. It's definitely easier with more equipment. Good luck with future comps.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad to hear it went so well Troy. Congratulations!

Thank you Donna!

Back