Iron Skillet Baked Potato

says the explorer of lost posts!
icon_smile.gif

I made these tonight. I used about 1/2 Tbs. butter. 375 for about 25 mins...Still were very firm. Jumped up to 425. They done by 45 mins tootal time. Salted and peppered before adding to the pan. They were good. Next time I think I'll try some rub.
ddc8bfa1.jpg

Made these tonight on the grill. 350-375 indirect on a 10" cast iron skillet for an hour with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and garlic butter. Superb, this is a winner and a regular on the menu now!

Thanks!

Mike, when you cooked these potatoes on the grill, did you put them directly on the grates, or did you put the iron skillet full of potatoes on the grill?

I haven't seen a post from Dean Torges in about 4 years and he has been missed. His posts were always interesting and informative. Hope he is well.

Dean suggests using a heavyweight cookie sheet. If yours are on the thin side, you might try double-panning two cookie sheets.

Also, to facilitate browning, one could preheat a pizza stone while the oven preheats (for at least 1/2 hour, preferably longer) and put the cookie sheet on top of that.

Randy's suggestion of using the Reynolds nonstick foil sounds like a great idea; it might even work in an iron skillet that might not be too well seasoned.

Rita

Thanks Mike. I've noted that information. I'm anxious to try the potatoes in a few days.
Rita

Rita,
Sometimes I parboil the whole potatoes and then slice then in half. I cook then open side down in the skillet on the grill with just a little evoo and a selection of spices. Sometimes I finish then open side down on the actual grill grate over direct heat to get the best crust.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I've grilled spice-rubbed & olive-oiled long thick slabs of both cooked and raw baking potatoes on the grill grate but for some reason never tried a half potato. I'm expecting a crustier finish from a skillet than from the grill grate. I'll see in a couple of days.

Rita

I tried this yesterday,and they turned out great. I doubt I will ever bake a potato the normal way again. So easy. I took them off at about 20 minutes and added a little more butter,and a little Slap yo daddy rub. About 45 minutes total for big taters. Mighty tasty.

Red or yellow (gold) potatoes are good made this way too.
Also, try a little bacon grease instead of butter.

kfpwklPhTb3E0xL6MODYKnHYQES8lEpyyzvtYpWcEn-M6ix-q8xGdbGZoDRfsSvZXSMZeFCsqyZ7XiQTjXwf6fH-6nBcBNDgYl67Bg4iEOtETBNaPUN0XrpWuTTOFCqw8vOfTf1xax_Y0qEHHj1jWUil485EPTyvqvAj215Rf5Mtzv0zT6ImNd2qTDFhhP_pMYjwOQ5VDP8HCVc9srwEZOAfMoZOcaZFNiDpaLDYKeGz89kAJ2rvmBKwJgl_Rv-_yiw1yUD9YpBprZ_oFB0KCdoPvLBjIA2H5bNZLPVACE_AwV_NFyBuOKPW9oxqBORacPwTe7BoplSjo2t1zj7LTSKVR4GEuAyyfI2KzWIMBdfDLcIf1ZX1-mMoNXNWnkt3Idq1k42Lcj-vxDoXZcBG4UKcj7KqP_g8vjiJxDEsH5BGScftN39a2txayNA0EneKDB54uXWF9pNi0vQyZ-AnXVogYJj-1jm8vbkHhtEeYDUcTDE9mRwFfHhRIPKUGfY7pO8FjsGroGKxT9OdPqypmPT26L68Tzp-0j2hg-MvthVFJYaqX2wjTMpbZbn5ZPHO2yjHdNjdcwu1PupvREuMtWmmaMofyIIdXbIkfcJlCg=w1352-h896-no

The type of tater really does matter. The first time I did this,i got some Big Russet baking potatoes. I tried it again last night with the super cheap taters you get in 5 pound bags and they didn't turn out so good. They were OK,but not like the first time. I'll keep experimenting :)

Back