Damage Dilemma

DanPeikes

The new 22" WSM came yesterday from Amazon. There is a small dent in the top lip of the body portion. It does not impact anything but it is annoying to have such a defect when I just paid good money for it. I really want to use this weekend. Should I
1. I use it then return it to Amazon?
2. Just return it to Amazon and try to figure out something else for this weekend
3. Call up Weber and see what they can do for me
4. Just keep it and not worry about it because it is not bothering anything

Last edited:
Just between us...was there an obvious impact to the box that caused the damage to the middle section? If not, sounds like a QA issue at the factory.

When I purchased my WSM 22" it was also from Amazon. When I went to open the box I am not sure exactly what made me feel like something wasn't packed just right, but it just didn't look quite right. mainly the grill parts were somewhat pushed down into the main body awkwardly.

Anyway, assembled it and then went to put the lid on and it became apparent the body was completely out of alignment. YES I know there is the bear hub method to fix etc but I had just paid good $ for this.

Fast forward, I called Weber to see what they recommended, assuming they would ask me to return to amazon. Instead they instantly sent overnight a new lid and body. Outstanding service.

I am wondering how well Amazon treats their packages though. having said that I have ordered 100's of things from Amazon and this was one of the 1st issues I have had

I bought an 18.5 from amazon and had buyers remorse almost immediately afterwards. I tried to cancel the order only to turn around an order a 22". I could not cancel the order as they claimed it had shipped. It was damaged when I received so it was shipped back to them on their dime. I purchased a 22" assembled at a 10% discount locally and was able to make my cook that weekend.

That's 3 damaged smokers from amazon, it makes we not want to order another from them when i purchase the 14" i want for camping trips.

I bought mine from Amazon back in 2009, it came with a dent in the middle section and the charcoal bowl. I called Amazon and they to 25% off and credited my card. I called Weber and assured them there was no damage to the box, and how much the replacement parts would be. The rep said the parts would be free and the overnighted them to me. They told me to keep the damaged parts, Iended up using them on my 18" gold, like a WSM on stilts.

I love amazon, am a prime member and use it often but buying something large and having it shipped gives me pause. I bought my 22.5 WSM from a local hardware store and when I saw the size of the box I was surprised. Now imagine shipping something that large from one loading dock to another while it bangs around inside a truck. Just sayin.....

Now imagine shipping something that large from one loading dock to another while it bangs around inside a truck.
This is why I asked the question about box damage...no memorable box damage according to Dan. So his was a quality control issue, most likely, not a shipping issue.

Yes, boxes get damaged during shipping, but Weber makes it right with quick, free replacement parts. And things have gotten a lot better since 2009 when Weber did a complete redesign of packaging to protect during UPS/FedEx shipping. Prior to that, packaging was never intended for direct-to-consumer shipping...we had A LOT more problems back then. :)

Thanks Chris, good point, the old box was meant to be put in the back of the buyers vehicle and taken home for assembly not for loading on and off delivery trucks.

Buy one locally and, if there's a price difference, send the difference to Chris!

I agree with buying locally being the way to go if possible and try to. Large sized purchases online always make for a roll of the dice. I've had some good luck, but definitely some headaches. The discount has to be really worth it, as I feel that its actually the opposite of convenience really due to the delivery coordination and condition/damage headaches.

In the northeast the smokers aren't as prevalent, and outside of very peak season sometimes not carried.

I tried at my local Ace hardware to buy my smoker last year and they didn't have stock of them besides a beat up 22" on the floor. I ended up purchasing at Lowes.

There is a local grill store that does a ton of business, I've always wanted to frequent for my purchases, but they always seem to be slightly more expensive than MAP and on top of that charge for delivery or assembly, while other places include that. On top of that it takes forever to get a sales person since they're so busy.

In the year 2008 I bought my WSM 18" "Classic" from Amazon and it arrived here in Costa Rica in perfect shape.

Also, a few months back I bought a Weber Smoky Joe from Amazon and it also arrived in perfect shape.

Back