First Run With Our New Kettle Pizza

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Tonight Barb and I would finally try our kettle pizza for the first time, only had the sucker since April. High winds and monsoons kept us from trying it out until now.

I make my own pizza sauce and Barb made the dough the day before.
S1033258_zpsrbyyaat5.jpg

Stuff for the pizzas
S1033268_zpsqh6jrqot.jpg

Made two for tonight will be doing two more to freeze tomorrow

Pizza #1
S1033291_zpsaninsh9u.jpg

Pizza #2
S1033295_zpsaxvnhytk.jpg

Used a large chimney of KBB and maple for the wood. Preheated the stone for 20 minutes.
S1033298_zpsc0s09anf.jpg

Pizza # 1 in turned every two minutes and six minutes later done.
S1033307_zpsnchvw3dw.jpg

S1033312_zpsnbx2sqrw.jpg

Pizza# 2 in and done in seven minutes
S1033314_zpsq20n8zmi.jpg

S1033321_zpseqcmskmk.jpg

I must say I was really impressed as to how well it worked and the taste from the wood fire was excellent. This will be the go to way of cooking pizzas from now on.
Thanks for taking a look see.

Looks great!! Can you share the dough recipe?

Homemade Thin Crust Pizza

Makes two 10 inch pizzas:

¾ cups lukewarm water
1 teaspoon active dry or instant yeast
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Combine the water and yeast in a mixing bowl, and stir to dissolve the yeast. The mixture should look like thin miso soup. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until you’ve formed a shaggy dough.

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface with corn meal on it. Knead until all the flour is incorporated, and the dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. The dough should still feel moist and slightly tacky. If it’s sticking to your hands and counter top like bubble gum, work in more flour one tablespoon at a time until it is smooth.

If you have time at this point, you can let the dough rise until you need it or until doubled in bulk (about an hour and a half). After rising, you can use the dough or refrigerate it for up to three days.

Cover the dough with the upside down mixing bowl or a clean kitchen towel while you prepare the pizza toppings. Roll out dough on corn meal counter until it’s about ¼ of an inch thick. If the dough starts to shrink back, let it rest for five minutes and then continue rolling. I put corn meal on my peel to transfer it to either the grill or pizza stone. Bake about 10 minutes or until the crust is done.

Enjoy Barb

Rich and Barb those are some excellent looking pies and I had talked myself out of the kettle pizza and now I want one again.....lol......

Rich, you turned out some great pies on your first run with the kettle pizza. I'm like Craig, I continuously talk myself out of ordering the kettle pizza and every time I see a post on here with it, I want it again!

Looks great guys! And I love when you combine your powers for good. ;)

Melinda leaned over and said, "Kettle pizza, huh???" Thanks for planting a seed with delicious looking food.

WOW Barb & Rich, you two knocked it out of the park! Fantastic pizzas!!!

I personally vouch for Barb's pizza dough, not only is it fantastic, but it's very simple to do almost bullet proof. I say almost because I forgot the salt on one that I did using her dough, LOL

Congrats on using your KP, I know you'll be making more soon

Rich, you turned out some great pies on your first run with the kettle pizza. I'm like Craig, I continuously talk myself out of ordering the kettle pizza and every time I see a post on here with it, I want it again!

Looks great guys! And I love when you combine your powers for good. ;)

Melinda leaned over and said, "Kettle pizza, huh???" Thanks for planting a seed with delicious looking food.

I was skeptical at first, but all I can say is get one you won't regret it. The taste of a wood fired pizza is well worth the cost.

Picture perfect pies Mr D, and no cedar was harmed in making them! :p

edit, credit to Mrs D too of course!

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck and just to let everyone know if you make more then you can use just freeze it. I've had dough months later and its fine, just a thought.

Awesome looking pizza Rich. I use the same technique and it works well for me too. Love to have a slice of that pie.

Thanks Cliff, between you and Nate and a couple of others sharing your techniques Barb and I were able to get great pies on the first try. It will only get better from here. You guys just made it easier for us, again great folks sharing great ideas on this great forum.

Great teamwork guys. Those pies look professional to me. You should start taking phone orders...

Regards,

John

Pizzas look great you two ! You are just the perfect team, both into trying all the different grilling ideas and having fun it would appear. Way to go, another job well done Barb and Rich :)

Back