Kettle fried chicken

Originally posted by Brian Trommater:
Finally got around to making some KFC. Wow what was I waiting for. Turned out fantastic. Used louisiana chicken fry. Brined chicken for two hours. Sprayed chicken with pam a little before putting on grill to insure it was all moist.

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Do you mind sharing the info on your brine?

Originally posted by Mickey:
Al (or anyone else), can I ask a stupid question? I tried this by dipping the chicken in the batter, then directly into the coating mix. After just a few pieces, the coating mix was coagulated from the excess batter. Thus, my stupid question: Do you guys dip the chicken in batter and then let it sit on a dripping rack or something to get rid of the excess batter before going into the coating mix? Thanks for clarifying.

You can separate your dry into ~thirds or so, so you can shake in a little extra dry when it clumps up.

I just did a basic brine of salt and brown sugar. I dont use flavorings in my brines anymore as they do not seem to impact the flavor of the meat.

Haven't done this since last November, so... tonight, we're makin' it again!
I may post photos (in the photo gallery) later if it's as good as the last time i "fried" it...

Just got done brining some chicken for KFC. I am thinking about putting some bbq sauce on and finishing. Hopefully wont make to soggy. Will let know results.

I haven't been here for awhile. I'm glad I stopped by-this is something I'm going to try next week.

Wow. Made this last night and it was excellent. Buttermilk brine for 3 hrs then rubbed with mayo, redunked in buttermilk and coated. I let it set up for another hour or so before hitting the grill. I lost some of the coating during the cook but that was my own fault. I couldn’t find the Louisiana dredge but went with a mixture/blend. Thanks for this idea!

Clint i have done this like 4 times now and have gotten past the issues. 1 i dredge the chicken parts in the wet mix, 2 i then set on a rack while i do more to fill up the rack, 3 i have treid a couple ways to get the dry mix on so i use my hand and do a snow fall application then flip and repeat let sit while i fire up the cooker. I have done this with and without a vortex with good results

Modified my previous attempt two weeks ago. This time used wings only. The results were fantastic, more because of the recipe than my cooking...thanks, Al! Sorry no pics but it went down like this:
1. Ordered the Louisiana breading. Critical.
2. Borrowed technique from Serious Eats: 1 tsp each salt and baking powder per lb of bird. Mix well, set on wire rack in fridge for 3 hrs minimum. Helps keep it dry and sets a gorgeous skin. Light sprinkle of Meathead’s Memphis Dust right before dredging (I love the L.A. seasoning as is but with Memphis Dust, as the saying goes, I put that **** on everything).
3. Do the dredge. Combo of Al’s and Kevin’s techniques (thank you, Kevin!) Back in fridge while grill sets up.
3. Full chimney of kbb in grill baskets set in the middle, wings around the circumference. Temp up to about 425. Cook time was about 40 minutes.

Loved it. My 6 year old son actually ate two of these and he has never liked chicken beyond nugget form.

Finally got to try it on the 4th, followed the recipe on the on the Louisiana fried chicken box and used bone in thighs. everybody loved it.

Surprisingly, it doesn’t burn. Oil grates really well and brush/spray pieces with oil. I was sure it would burn but it did not at all. Might lose some breading but not much. I can’t endorse it enough. Honestly some of the best chicken I’ve ever had and I never would have thought of it without this forum.

I tried this last night- double dipped the chicken in the batter wow!!!! I dont think I will deep fry chicken again! This is way easier and better in my opinion.

Back