The chicken and dumpling cure!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Damn cold, time for some Chicken and Dumplings!

When I have time I make mine a bit different than most. I spend some time making a good stock.

It's a bit of a process, but really makes a difference.

What you'll need for the stock:

1 hole chicken - Part it out. Remove the skin from the breasts and thighs. Debone the thighs, cut tips off wings. Save everything!

32191396296_78fbbe2bd5_c.jpg

No need to peel any of the following:

1 Whole bunch of celery cut into thirds

3 carrots cut into thirds

1 onion quartered

6-8 cloves of garlic

1 leek green and whites cut into thirds

2 russet potatoes quartered

15-20 peppercorns

2-3 bay leafs

1 chunk of Kombo (seaweed) 1"x6"-8"

31388750214_20dc771584_c.jpg

31419483863_5aa9d44380_c.jpg

Step 1.

Place neck, back bone, ribs, thigh bones, skin in stock pot. Cover with cold water (preferably filtered non chlorinated. We are fortunate to live someplace where our water is not).

Boil for 10 minutes.

32191290136_f4b47e44c7_c.jpg

Step 2.

While chicken bones are par boiling. Cut up your veggies that will go into the soup

32229588685_927b931035_c.jpg

Step 3.

Dump bones and all into strainer. Discard water and if using the same pot rinse and scrub all impurities out.

32110960191_4b7ccbfb83_c.jpg

Step 4.

Place all veggies, spices and rinsed chicken parts back in pot. Fill with water. Simmer 4-12 hours. Add water as needed to keep pot full.

32229573935_46f7ea5667_c.jpg

Step 5.

Strain broth into new container. Remember to save the broth this time.

Remove meat from bones and save. Discard veggies or if you'd like purée and add back into your stock.

While all that is going on, prep the veggies and meat for the stew.

Season chicken, I use salt and pepper.

Chop veggies. We are using onion, carrot, celery, garlic. Sometimes I add corn and peas but we do not have any on hand.

32110967511_e5caf28f18_c.jpg

Set aside until ready.

More steps to come. Stock is simmering getting ready for phase 2!

Okay where did we leave off..

32191293916_963861288b_c.jpg

Here's the stock ready to be strained.

Remember you need the stock! Yes I have forgot...

Sweat the carrots, onion, and celery. Then add garlic

32111127371_65888895a6_c.jpg

Cook that for a few minutes remove.

32229725135_f38a76fcd6_c.jpg

Add some olive oil or your favorite non stick drying liquid. Add chicken in batches. Brown and remove.

32111125171_1d68d8d391_c.jpg

Strain stock. Once again save stock! You can save the stuff. Which I did. My dogs love it mixed into their food.

31419482473_c63aee800e_c.jpg

Add sautéed veggies and chicken into stock. Bring to a rolling boil.

32111152931_b29ef1bffc_c.jpg

I should mention if doing Dumplings. Make whatever you like to have.

We like a simple seasoned drop biscuit.

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup Fat (Crisco, schmaltz, butter)
1 cup milk
whatever seasonings you want/have.

Mix dry including your seasonings. Cut in fat, mix in milk. You can also add cheese, jalapeños etc, but for this I added sage, garlic, paprika and black pepper.

31419528633_4e889f7300_c.jpg

At this point place the lid on your Dutch oven.

32229776915_4099eda88d_c.jpg

Check the Dumplings. They should be light and fluffy on top.

32230038705_b6cf61a1a1_c.jpg

It's a fork, knife and spoon meal when using whole hunks of meat.

32111460951_5d89124970_c.jpg

Enjoy!!!!

I totally appreciate the ton of prep and time you spent on this cook Case. It look and sounds fabulous. Up there in all that snow that meal must have been amazing. I marked this post as I will definitely give it a try before winters over.

That looks very tasty Case. I was worn out just reading through all the pics. All the hard work and preparation sure paid off.

I totally appreciate the ton of prep and time you spent on this cook Case. It look and sounds fabulous. Up there in all that snow that meal must have been amazing. I marked this post as I will definitely give it a try before winters over.

Thank you Cliff. The extra steps really step up the flavor.

For those looking for Kombu if there isn't a store near you where they have it, you can get a lifetime supply on Amazon for less than $10. It really does add another level of flavor to the stock.

That looks very tasty Case. I was worn out just reading through all the pics. All the hard work and preparation sure paid off.

Thanks Pat! It looks like a lot of work but it's not too bad. Since it's done in stages it spreads the work out a bit.

Case

I bet the house smelled wonderful during that cook, thats a tummy warmer for sure.

Ok Case, where is my bowl of soup. That is out of sight, man did you nail that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok Case, where is my bowl of soup?;) That is out of sight, man did you nail that one.

Ok Case, where is my bowl of soup. That is out of sight, man did you nail that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok Case, where is my bowl of soup?;) That is out of sight, man did you nail that one.

Thank you Barb! It's really tasty!

That's the "cure" for sure! Lotta work.

My grandmother used to make chicken & dumplings in a cast iron Dutch oven. I hated that dish.
It was greasy & she left the chicken skins on the meat - so the chicken looked like the skins you discarded.

Anyway... from the looks of things, in my mind: you redeemed that dish.

Great Job Case

That's the "cure" for sure! Lotta work.

My grandmother used to make chicken & dumplings in a cast iron Dutch oven. I hated that dish.
It was greasy & she left the chicken skins on the meat - so the chicken looked like the skins you discarded.

Anyway... from the looks of things, in my mind: you redeemed that dish.

Thank you guys!

Two things here working to remove the gelatinous fat. First the par boil of the chicken bones. Secondly the straining of the stock. One can even go a step further and let the stock set over night in the fridge. Then remove any solid fat on top. You can also slip the fat off the hot stock with paper towels. There wasn't much so I didn't go that route. If I'd made the stock ahead of time I'd skim the fat, but honestly there probably would only be a 1/16" if that in this batch. It was pretty lean.

Back