Newbie setup....

All,

So I have searched and looked and maybe been blind, but is there a comprehensive (or at least somewhat detailed) manual or post with how to set up the heater meter? Maybe I haven't looked hard enough or maybe I can't find what I'm looking for...... So, not to inflame the RTFM crowd (I looked for the M).

I have a new heater meter straight from the source
I have a Raspberry Pi 3b
I have a Roto RD3

Is there a simple place that will tell me to hook all this stuff up?

Chris

Additionally, I would like the ideas you all have with regards to hooking the RD3 to a WSM lower vent.

I might need to go through more of the roto thread.....

Cheers

Chris

The boards are already built. The issues are: Connecting the Pi to the HM. Building the RD3 and connecting that. Plugging the whole thing in.

Chris

I'm also curious as to how people have hooked up their RD3 to the WSM. I know the "dog bowl" is a thing but I'm not sure what to buy and how to connect it.

Chris

I know what your going through i'm new to using the heatermeter and rd3, but what they say above you have to fish around on the various posts to find the info to make it all come together. Mounting it to your smoker was the hardest pat for me, but reading some of the posts pointed me in the right direction and with a little ingenuity on my part i managed to get it connected to my kamado. But remember these are do it yourself projects.A user manual would be nice but it was more fun for me to figure it out. Now i'm having fun dialing in the PID settings, and once again i'm getting help by reading some of the posts here. By the way i can't say how happy i am with the heatermeter and rd3 . The latest thing i learned was that i did a meatloaf on the grill for several hours with the HM and RD3 at 375 degrees, pay attention to your probe spec. i kind of melted the thermocouple lead I think the probe is rated at 500 degrees, but the cord 220 should have read the fine print .

Yabut how did it connect to the vent.....

Chris

the pics show my first attempt with just a fan, connected to the sink pipe connected to the sink drain, held inplace by bending the vent tabs abit to hold all in place. Then I got the RD3 and went with 3/4" copper pipe burner. Pics are here somewhere in burner threads.

Back