Stainless Steel grates as used on Fire Magic grills

These kinds of grills always amaze me. How many people that can afford something like this would actually want to buy one?

Yep, but than I think about it. I paid $1200 for a piece of junk LG stove, I know that it will be in a landfill long before that Genesis 2000 I have or my Wolf (though had I bought that Wolf new I would have had to part with about $13500!).
But it leaves me wondering how is my money spent "better" at times

These kinds of grills always amaze me. How many people that can afford something like this would actually want to buy one?

This particular one doesn't look like it saw a whole lot of action. There are a lot of very well off people in the town it is listed. They will just spend whatever to have what they perceive to be the best.

I definitely think these are superbly made grills, but I read a little more about them on BBQGuys and, while they get very high reviews, it was noted that they are not at all immune to flare-ups and to expect them if you do something like a bunch of burgers. If I spent 5 figures (or even $2,100) I would expect more than that. My old Genesis Silver with GrillGrates (sorry:eek:) and maybe a smoker box underneath delivers great grilling and virtually no flare-ups. It is a plain jane one that won't turn any heads, but set up a Genesis Platinum or maybe a Skyline the same way - OK maybe both or two of one of these - and you have a very viable alternative to one of these monster grills. Not nearly as much to show-off, I suppose. I do think a Skyline or maybe a well restored Genesis I could be a "show-off," though. Kind of like comparing having a brand new Lamborghini vs. a '63 split window Corvette in your driveway... Which one is "cooler" depends on who is doing the looking.

Within reason I actually like to get flare ups. Not a conflagration but some flames kissing my steaks, burgers what have you are quite desirable. Though it does mean you cannot be a lazy griller. One of the things I loved about the BroilMaster is it got fiercely hot and yet the fire box was so deep and the flame dispersion materials so far away from the grates that those flare ups really did a nice job. I think it's why it alone actually produced foods that tasted like they were cooked over hardwood charcoal. Modern grills have the flame tamers too close to the grates (yes even the very expensive ones).

Yah, those kind of "flare ups" where the flames are rising from the flavorizer bars to the bottom of the meat is fine. Maybe even a good thing. After all, that is the theory behind the flavorizer bars, is to burn off the juices providing a smoke flavoring for the meat. It when the "flare up" begins burning under the flavorizer bars, down in the drip tray that things get dicey. As long as you keep that relatively clean down there, it won't happen.

As Jon alludes, it is probably a lot of financially well off folks buying those huge heaps of stainless steel to cook a few burgers at a time. My guess is they are predominately white collar execs and such and are much less apt to keep up with maintenance, much less have a clue on how to maintain those things. I can just imagine what a big flare up in one of those things would look like. Maybe just push it down the drive way with a broom handle and let it burn. hahahhahaha

Back