COWBOY BRIQUETTES break down after 1 use

I always reuse it till it falls thru the grate and then the sweeper gets it gone, new is added most every cook, KBB most of the time due to buying during sales, never no problem with it.

I have reused coals many times with no problem. Naturally they don't last as long as new ones, but they get plenty hot and are good for shorter cooks.

However, for those that have a problem reusing them for some reason, here is an option. Yesterday I wanted to clean my grill from a previous chicken cook that left quite a mess and I had a chimneys worth of used brickets. Lit them up and dumped them into the kettle and before long the grill was over 500 degrees. Made cleaning the grate easy, and I didn't have to use new fuel for cleaning. Much better than just dumping used coal because you don't want to cook with it for some reason.

I always dump new over old after shaking out the ashes on the WSM's or raking the coals on the kettles.
If it looks like charcoal/lump I use it, and never noticed any inconsistent results.

Tim

OK after reading a lot of the responses here,
I understand that the folks that did respond,
did not really understand my original post.

And that’s fine. A lot of people just chime in after reading the previous post.

Now, comparing the cowboy briquettes to Weber briquettes…
There is no comparison
The Weber briquettes did not bust up, they held their ground and they are perfect to use again.
The cowboy briquettes will be used for high heat grilling only.
And I will not purchase them again
The Weber briquettes on the other hand, when I find them I will buy them again and again

I think we can put an end to the discussion on this particular thread.
Thanks for dealing with my crap

I understood, but agree it got off track.
It was my understanding, with some research, that the new Cowboy is the same as the old Stubb's. Name changed due to copyright problems with the new owners of the Stubb's bbq sauce brand.

I read your post and the following plus watch the video. Understood what you were saying but like many threads that got off track and my response was response to the posts.

However I'm wondering after seeing the video what would happen if you poured them back into a chimney and tried to relight them? I realize they were brittle and fell apart but if you tried to revive them would there be any usable fuel left to burn? I suppose that's a response Marty original post then the direction that this went.

I also read the OP and watched the video and like I said if it looks like charcoal/lump I use it. Never tried the crumble test but haven't noticed any drop in performance at least in the fuel I use.
Jim you should do a follow up after reusing it.

Tim

Jim you should do a follow up after reusing it.

Tim
I do reuse it, at least the majority of it all... I just freaked the first time it crumbled just picking it up.

Since I posted that video, I have used Kingsford original and Weber's brand charcoal.
Both used about the same type of grilling (normal heat for pork chops or the like).
Neither the KBB or Weber coal broke apart as did the Cowboy briquette.

The Weber charcoal is quite impressive. On short cooks, it looks untouched.
But then, if you have used Weber brand, you already knew that.

My overall feeling about the Cowboy briquette is:
it burns hot and fast.

Kingsford original:
Very reliable.

Weber briquettes:
Excellent except for the price.

Thank you all for your comments, I do appreciate them all!

I bought 2 bags of Cowboy briquettes last fall from Lowe`s. I believe they were 5 bucks for a 14 lb bag. I had posted here about not finding Stubbs anymore and someone said Cowboy replaced Stubbs and they were the same briquette. In my opinion they are not the same briquette. Gave off a horrible smell on initial lighting which lasted quite a while. Would not buy again no matter how cheap. I really liked Stubbs and Weber briquettes but I guess they no longer make them. Back to KBB.

I bought 2 bags of Cowboy briquettes last fall from Lowe`s. I believe they were 5 bucks for a 14 lb bag. I had posted here about not finding Stubbs anymore and someone said Cowboy replaced Stubbs and they were the same briquette. In my opinion they are not the same briquette. Gave off a horrible smell on initial lighting which lasted quite a while. Would not buy again no matter how cheap. I really liked Stubbs and Weber briquettes but I guess they no longer make them. Back to KBB.
I'm almost through my first bag of Cowboy briqs. Used them for grilling, and smoking bacon, no bad smoke smell or flavor.
Maybe they have a quality control issue?

Back