How to grill a perfect steak?

I think it depends on which steak you are cooking. There is some thought that cooking a fattier cut such as a rib eye is better cooked on a griddle/plancha as the melting fat will not cause flare ups - and you could always save what is released. Leaner steaks such as sirloin/rump/fillet are good over direct heat. Or reverse sear thickets cuts. personal choice is important though.

Late to the subject. Less experienced than plenty of the previous posts. Underequipped (no working grill at the moment though LMichaels is helping me sort that out). But I'll offer what I cooked Saturday anyway -
Costco Prime Ribeyes. Heavily salt, wait 25 min, rinse. Sous vide with a little butter & garlic at 129 (I went 3 hours, I'm sure you can get away with less or more). Pepper & sear on a cast iron, you'll know its hot enough when the smoke alarm tells you.

Did a fairly thorough survey of SF steak houses last year with my dad, turned out to be the last year of his life. Think I beat most of them with this. Exception would be the old school House of Prime Rib which was just nuts.

Water would NEVER touch my steak. Yuk. If you're putting so much salt you feel a need to bathe your steaks you're using too much. BTW I have tried the salt/wait for various time periods and honestly compared to a good seasoning just before cooking have noticed no improvement in taste or quality of finished product. Keep in mind as well Costco steaks (except tenderloin) are all blade tenderized so really trying to "brine" them is futile.

Think I beat most of them with this. Exception would be the old school House of Prime Rib which was just nuts.

I for one could not argue against a huge success as this; great job! Sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Water would NEVER touch my steak. Yuk. If you're putting so much salt you feel a need to bathe your steaks you're using too much. BTW I have tried the salt/wait for various time periods and honestly compared to a good seasoning just before cooking have noticed no improvement in taste or quality of finished product.

I think it makes a difference to let it sink in (don't think I mentioned an hour in the fridge after rinsing the salt off & patting dry), similar to putting rub on a larger cut the night before a smoke. But maybe not worth the time & effort.

I for one could not argue against a huge success as this; great job! Sorry about the loss of your Dad.

Thanks. The man wasn't a cook but he loved a good steak...

Yeah the salt thing is one of those things that is somehow now all the rage, but side by side I see no benefit from. In any case good your dad had a nice time with you and enjoyed and sorry about his passing. We just never know about that :( Going to see my 92 yo dad today. I try to get there once/twice a week. Lost mom a little over 5 years ago now just a month ago my youngest sister. It hits hard.

The salt thing is why Barb and I don't eat out very often most of the meals are just way to salty for me anymore. I've been on a salt restricted diet for about 15 years now and a little bit of salt now goes a long way with me. I like a little of Morton's lite salt on my steak and I can't eat a fried egg without a little salt, but that's about all I put salt on anymore. You get used to it after awhile.

The salt thing is why Barb and I don't eat out very often most of the meals are just way to salty for me anymore. I've been on a salt restricted diet for about 15 years now and a little bit of salt now goes a long way with me. I like a little of Morton's lite salt on my steak and I can't eat a fried egg without a little salt, but that's about all I put salt on anymore. You get used to it after awhile.

Salt isn’t a big issue for me, not on a restricted diet, I just don’t like the amount of salt injected, detected, reflected, objected, presented, in almost any commercial products. I use 10% salt from my younger days but, I do realize that I don’t/shouldn’t, have/want the amounts I used to.
The thing about “lite salt” is that it is potassium chloride, it’s not the same as sodium chloride (kosher and table salt), dietary restrictions from one’s Doctor are important but, it isn’t too tough to get “some” of the sodium out of the mix. Bad pun sorry, I’ll go to my corner now.

Sorry that some are not tolerant to salt. To my 70 yr old body, salt is required. To those who are restricted ... sorry.

Yep, salt is a strange dietary mineral! I have simply tried to lower my intake due to Blood pressure concerns. But, for years I simply didn't use it at table, small quantities in prep. I still rarely feel it necessary at table but, for guests I do have a cellar there. I’ve found there are times when a small handful of Fritos can seriously improve my summertime enjoyment after exertion!

A beer helps too!

The best use of salt on a steak is as a dry brine. Moderate salt on all sides of the steak, then uncovered on a rack in the fridge for at least 24 hours. The salt will disappear and the meat might look a little wet. If the steak is less than 1-1/2" you can blot the moisture off, hit it with a little oil and put it on the grill. Over 1-1/2", you can cook it indirect to about 115°, then blot it off and oil it, then reverse sear it. No additional salt is needed.

Jeff

I have a ritual that I have used on the Genny and it has never failed me so far.

I start with the best cut that I can find, usually filet. I let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes. I then salt it using Kosher salt and ground pepper. Wait another 20 minutes, then flip. Salt and pepper , and wait another 20 minutes, for a total time out 60 minutes.

During the last 20 minutes I fire up the grill and let it max out. around 600 degrees.

Place the steak on the grill, and rub back and forth to knock off any pieces of salt. Close lid and wait three minutes.

Flip, rub off salt, and close lid for three more minutes. Remove, cover with foil, and let sit while I set the table.

A 1 1/2" cut of meat will be cooked to about medium. Adjust time depending on cut and preference.

By using the Kosher salt and knocking it off, it imparts flavor but doesn't leave a salty flavor. My wife despises salt, and has only praise for how they come out.

Back