3D Printed Barrel Servo/Fan

I should have said, "I dug it out of the snow." Oh and when the sun dropped the outdoor temp dropped off fast so it was a great test.

Maybe I've missed it somewhere.... Does anyone have the .stl file for an airway transition from Tom's V2 assembly to a 1.5" round tube?

Maybe I've missed it somewhere.... Does anyone have the .stl file for an airway transition from Tom's V2 assembly to a 1.5" round tube?

And it's now academic. I had WBegg's transition to 1.25" round tube printed, before I started really working on the smoker mount. I hogged out the round end of the transition with a small rotary flap wheel, then cleaned it up with a 1.5" hole saw (one of the tools I don't have is a drill press, but I can TIG weld aluminum and stainless. Go figure.) I'll post up pics of the mounts in another appropriate thread.

And it's now academic. I had WBegg's transition to 1.25" round tube printed, before I started really working on the smoker mount. I hogged out the round end of the transition with a small rotary flap wheel, then cleaned it up with a 1.5" hole saw (one of the tools I don't have is a drill press, but I can TIG weld aluminum and stainless. Go figure.) I'll post up pics of the mounts in another appropriate thread.

Dang! Wish I'd seen this earlier. Wouldn't have been a huge task to modify my design to fit 1.5" tube. Maybe I'll do it anyway if anyone is interested.

Once you see how I've mounted mine...... I'll bet you get requests. I haven't seen any other mount like this here (granted.... I've only looked through a few hundred threads....) it was born out of an idle wander through the plumbing aisle of all places with a serious A-HA! moment. The entire cost to mount this on my horizontal offset smoker is around $20.

My build. Just attached to my Primo XL, trying my first heater meter run!

IMG_6148%20resized.jpg

Parts printed locally via 3DHubs.

If I must give Kudos, I must give to Tom's build. I've been designing and building for a few months now, and lived a few years in Australia. I'm now back in the states, and upon my return, I noticed that my buddy here had Tom's barrel servo damper. He has a Kamado Joe, and for Gits and Shiggles I decided to run damper only, with fan assist when needed. I must say I REALLY like the results.. I'm still trying to figure out why I've spent so much time designing new systems when the system is already here! (love ya, Ralph)

Thanks Tom, for all of your hard work.

BifmZ9J.jpg

Last edited:
Cook done at 475 using a Offset rotary valve on a primo (never mind the ending...). This was Zuni Cafe style roast chicken, it is so great to do it out doors; it is a messy recipe and the lack of clean up and heat in the summer is a huge bonus! The touch of smoke (just charcoal) was a lovely addition to the chicken. This holds temp for roasting much better then my oven does.

475-cook.png

I just printed my first offset rotary blower and I had a question. The print job came out with a round hole where the 1X2 square tubing is destined to go. Should I use a round piece of tubing here and this is an updated version of the original solution or should I take a dremel to this and start making a square hole?

There are two versions for the main part: RSD-BGE-top.stl and RSD-UDS-top.stl. The "UDS" version has the round hole, the "BGE" version has the square hole. You must have printed the UDS version. They should both be in the file. Your best bet is to reprint the BGE version if you need the square hole. Note there are corresponding "cover" files as well RSD-BGE-cover.stl and RSD-UDS-cover.stl. There is only one "valve" file.

There are two versions for the main part: RSD-BGE-top.stl and RSD-UDS-top.stl. The "UDS" version has the round hole, the "BGE" version has the square hole. You must have printed the UDS version. They should both be in the file. Your best bet is to reprint the BGE version if you need the square hole. Note there are corresponding "cover" files as well RSD-BGE-cover.stl and RSD-UDS-cover.stl. There is only one "valve" file.

That would explain my error. Thanks for that....I did indeed grab the wrong files! Guess I'll experiment with this one and have the reprint run. Appreciate it.

I have printed & built the rotary offset damper and can get the servo to work without issue using a 2A power supply with just the servo arm connected to the servo. As soon as I mount the valve part with the fan the servo does not move and makes stuttering sounds. I printed the valve with 50% infill could it be that it is too heavy for the servo to move?

I have printed & built the rotary offset damper and can get the servo to work without issue using a 2A power supply with just the servo arm connected to the servo. As soon as I mount the valve part with the fan the servo does not move and makes stuttering sounds. I printed the valve with 50% infill could it be that it is too heavy for the servo to move?

You want the valve to be in that sweet spot where it's close enough to the main body to create a decent air seal, but loose enough to move freely. I used some 800 grit sandpaper on mine to get both the surfaces nice and flat as things are never perfectly flat coming off a 3d printer.

Back