Roadside Chicken

Has anyone made Roadside Chicken on a rotisserie ?

I know the recipe calls for chicken pieces and a lot of basting. Any tips doing a whole bird on a Rotisserie?

I have also been contemplating this recipe for a whole bird on my rotisserie on my Genesis 1000 gasser. I would also like to see some replies to this question.

And for anyone who has done this, some details on the process would be appreciated. I get the recipe for the marinade for roadside chicken, but would like some details on the process of adapting it to a rotisserie on a gasser.

Well, I made this today. FIrst thing grilled in my newly restored Weber Genesis 1000. It came out fabulous. It was certainly a hit with my daughter and her boyfriend. I also cooked three ears of sweet corn and three baked potatoes while the 6 lb chicken was turning.

I marinated without oil for about three hours and cooked it for a bit over three hours before it got to 165. I started the cook down close to 200 but after about an hour, I got the grill temps dialed in to right at 300 degrees using the front burner. I also used a few chunks of cherry wood for the smoke flavor and was tasty and evident in the chicken. I basted it every 30-15 minutes and replaced the wood chunks three times.

B7FLWdz.jpg

I just did my second chicken today. It came out better than the first. I had premade 4 small tin foil packs of cherry wood chips ahead of time and swapped them in as necessary. That helped ensure a really quailty smoke flavor to the chicken. I did make two small mistakes this time however. I marinated the chicken for a few hours ahead of time in the sauce the same as before, but this time I forgot to leave the oil out of the marinade. It did not seem to make a difference. Maybe it was better???? Also, I forgot to put a drip pan under the chicken and didn't realize it until an hour into the cook. Boy, the drippings sure do collect quickly in the drip pan under the grill. I got it put in and didn't seem to cause any real issues.
The wife loved the chicken. Definitely will be looking for some good deals at the grocery store for whole chickens and stocking up for the freezer.
Thanks for the recipe and directions.

Hi All. I thought I would do a drive by here and post a reply. Glad to see everyone is still making this one. Take care all and happy grilling. Bryan S :wsm:

HOLY CRAP !!! I haven't logged in, in like FOREVER !!! ...but I logged in today, because I was recommending the site to a Friend who was looking for a smoker, for Christmas...

TOO COOL to see my Old Friend, Bryan, show back up !!!

Brought back memories...tri tip purchase in Maryland ; pit beef at the Susquehanna Inn !!! :D

Hope you're well, my Friend !!!

D Larsen...

I'm almost done rotisserie-ing my third roadside chicken, and I must give thanks to Bryan for putting up such a great, great recipe! I do whole birds on the roti on a gasser, so I guess my next conquest will be coal but let me just say:

Wow! This is some seriously delicious chicken.

Thank you Bryan!

Slainte!

Tim

A little rainy for the WSM so I'm doing a bunch of chicken legs on the weber gas grill with this marinade. Love vinegar-based marinades and looking forward to this one.

No one can tell me otherwise. The WSM w/o the water pan and a blazing hot fire with 2 chimneys of KBB and a chunk of wood is the best way to make RS chicken. Far enough away from the flames but close enough too.
So good.

No one can tell me otherwise. The WSM w/o the water pan and a blazing hot fire with 2 chimneys of KBB and a chunk of wood is the best way to make RS chicken. Far enough away from the flames but close enough too.
So good.

I cook mine this way but I use hardwood charcoal. I got a craving for RSC today so I got a huge pack of thighs for tomorrow.

I tried the RSC recipe today with some chicken quarters on the 26.75" with the SNS (no water) and Western Lump...DELICIOUS!

When I first whipped up the marinade it smelled like salad dressing (and can seriously be used as such). I subbed a pinch of celery seed and a few shakes of salt (in place of celery salt). I reserved some for basting. Let the chicken sit for about 6 hours in the bag. Used some of my rib/chicken rub on the other quarters as a control. The non-RSC was really good. But I think the RSC as a marinade/baste is excellent! I think any oil vinegarette could simulate it in a pinch, but the white vinegar and the sugar give a clean vinegar "bite" with a hint of sweet that is really memorable.

Next time I would double the recipe and use a finishing seasoning (dust) or maybe a light glaze. But seriously, it was really tasty as-is.

For some reason, even though the ingredients read like a bottle of Italian Dressing, this tastes better. What struck me was the slight sweetness. I really enjoyed it.

So good.

Agreed! The skin gets nice and crispy with that method.

First, a huge thanks to Bryan S. I made rotisserie Roadside Chicken with drip pan potatoes as the inaugural cook on my recently restored Genesis 1000 and it was fantastic.

Second, that marinade was even better on fish. I marinated a pair of Yellowtail filets for a few minutes before cooking, then basted during cooking. It was amazing. My DW said it was the best fish she ever had.

Late to the party on this one, I know, but I can't wait to try this recipe!

I know individual preferences vary, but is cooking over direct coals the whole time generally the "preferred" method for this chicken, with basting and flipping every five minutes or so? I see where some people use two zones as well. Will probably try both ways over time but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks!

Late to the party on this one, I know, but I can't wait to try this recipe!

I know individual preferences vary, but is cooking over direct coals the whole time generally the "preferred" method for this chicken, with basting and flipping every five minutes or so? I see where some people use two zones as well. Will probably try both ways over time but just wanted to get some thoughts. Thanks!

I'm an indirect cooker with this, but will sometimes throw the pieces direct for a short period if the skin isn't crisped up.

Back