Convert LP to NG

I am keen on completing an NG conversion to a new LP Genesis E330.
I will acquire an NG manifold and it seems an easy enough swap, my question is:
1) Are the main and sear burner tubes the same for LP and NG, or close enough for adequate functionality?
2) Whats different about the side burners (LP vs NG)? Will an LP side burner unit connected to an NG manifold work OK?

The part numbers for the burner tubes, and the side burner unit appear to be different for LP and NG.

I intend to retain the LP components for any future reconversion.

Thanks.

SA

(Just joined the forum so excuse me if I've inadvertently violated any rules/etiquette)
1) I did not change the burner tubes. The manifold swap alone is enough.
2) You just need the right orifice for the side burner. I am not sure if you can find a replacement part online. I can take some measurements to see if the ones grill-parts sells fits (PM me or I won't remember). Otherwise I would just drill it out with a #54 bit. You can try w/o any modification and like LMichaels said you will just get a small flame. I don't know how important is the side burner to you but most people don't use it.

The NG hose is also a direct swap.

Just FYI, the LP valves are cast aluminum and the NG valves are brass. So, the valves are indeed different between the LP and NG versions.

Last edited:
That material difference you noticed may have just been a production difference from the factory in China where the assembly is made. Really has nothing to do with NG or LP

E330 LP to NG conversion

That material difference you noticed may have just been a production difference from the factory in China where the assembly is made. Really has nothing to do with NG or LP

The side burner is not such a big deal for me, Ill try and get the correct orifice for the NG side burner if this is a cost effective solution otherwise I'm not too bothered.
Its good to know the main and sear burner tubes are approximately equivalent.

I converted an E 330 from NG to Propane. I got new Orifices from www.grill-repair.com for $50 including the LP regulator and hose. After adjusting the air shutters it worked perfectly. They have videos on conversions on the website.
Which parts did you order?
I think it's
(4) 88305
(1) 88315
(1) 80012
But a confirmation or correction would be helpful
I'm looking to switch over a 2012 Genesis EP-330 from NG to LP

Andrew - Did you buy the parts from grill-repair? I'm about to purchase the same myself and was wondering how your conversion turned out.

The side burner is not such a big deal for me, Ill try and get the correct orifice for the NG side burner if this is a cost effective solution otherwise I'm not too bothered.
Its good to know the main and sear burner tubes are approximately equivalent.

The side burner conversion is easiest because it has a variable (not fixed) type valve. So really a simple orifice change is all that's needed

The side burner conversion is easiest because it has a variable (not fixed) type valve. So really a simple orifice change is all that's needed

Hi LM, you recommended the full side burner unit for $110 previously in the thread. Would you recommend just ordering the orfice from Grill-Parts.com for the side burner instead now? It doesn't look like Grill-Parts will drill the orfice for you unless you're purchasing a regulator otherwise it just comes blank.

Also, I had 2 more questions if anyone else can help?

1. Do you have to remove the "burner bolts" in the back when installing a new manifold? I imagine so but just wanted to confirm. It seems like the guy at Grill-Parts broke all 4 of his bolts/thread block they screw into and had to JB weld it back together. Image is below. I definitely do not want to go down that road on an $800 grill. This leads into my second question...

2. Has anyone personally broken any of the "burner bolts" when converting their Weber from LP to NG? I have an EP-330 (2011-2012) which appears to be inferior quality (at least bolt-wise) to the 2010 and previous models according to Grill-Parts.com.

Thanks in advance!

LsHHs4T.jpg

I have said earlier. Converting the side burner is easy because they all have the fully variable control valve rather than fixed L M H settings. Simpy change the orifice to match the gas and the pressure your gas is at.
Re, the bolts I don't have a clue what you're talking about. Lots of rambling there. If you're converting a newer style front control panel Genesis I believe the control panel comes cover comes off than the manifold complete with valves and orifices and a simple change out of the orifice will do the job. Those grills also have continuously variable valves so it should be as easy as falling off a rock. But than I have not looked at one since I put my sister and brother in law's together about 7 years ago. I do recall how disappointed I was that pretty much every part of it was made in China, I also have cooked on it and frankly am not impressed with it. They have the E310 NG model BTW

You should avoid doing anything with the bolts that hold the burners. Think of them as “guides” not something to loosen or tighten. Just clean a little and tug the old burners out when needed and then put the new ones in to the same place.

If your burners are ok, you shouldn’t need to remove to replace the manifold anyway.

Yah, those mounting screws on the end of the burners are not supposed to be removed. They are just there to hold the tubes in place. To remove the burner tubes, you have to remove the manifold and then pull the burner tubes out of the right side of the cook box through the holes. If you twisted one of the screws off, you will have to drill out the old one and then use a new screw that is slightly larger than the hole. It isn't that big of deal, just take your time. If you happen to slide off to the side of the old broken screw when trying to drill it out, that is OK. Just put the new screw in there. It will be off about 1/16" but that is no big deal. Been there, done that.

Thanks for all of the information, everyone!

I think a new manifold for $80 or so may be the way to go. That way I can revert to LP if I need to. My biggest dilemma now is whether or not to buy a whole new assembly for the side burner. Grill-Parts.com will only sell you a custom orfice ($6) if you buy a regulator ($39) from them. But the Genesis 330 NG doesn't seem to come with a regulator? Not sure if I need that or not based on what I've read in this thread. I was able to find the LP side burner orfice stand alone but not the NG one.

Last edited:
Probably harder to find than the older grills, but you might just keep your eyes out on craigslist or facebook for a grill that you can steal the manifold off of and have the rest of the grill for spare parts. I bought two E310 grills and both were less than $50. Hard to believe but people treat them as throw away grills and when the burners go out or they get too dirty, they just unload them and head for Home Depot.

My opinion is that there are also a lot of cases of wives witnessing grease fires and demanding the grill be gone!

That would be great if I could find another grill for parts but not much in my area on Craigslist now. Dennis Y suggested drilling out the side burner orfice with a size #54 bit. I wish I could figure out what size the OEM NG 330 side burner orfice was. Looks like I can order an OEM LP orfice and have it drilled out (and keep the original in case I want to revert to LP).

I thought those heat shields were supposed to take care of that?? No?

From my experience they, too, get crudded up and can actually contribute to flare ups and fires if you fail to follow very regular cleaning. I think the deflectors are more about evening out the heat distribution. If you look at the older 300 series grills with the E-W burners the surface area with a burner tube underneath is significantly more than the newer 300 3-burners which have pretty big spaces between each burner. It would seem likely that without the deflectors there would be uneven heat with so much between each burner. That is why I mentioned that the sear station fourth burner at least partially addresses this grill’s weakness.

All of the above is just my theory, but a lot of actual use seems to correspond with it.

LOL, yah, maybe you can point him in the right direction for replacement orifice's. I just don't like the idea of drilling them out.

Back