Picked up some Genesis II parts today

Yah, I love that color as well. I thought maybe it was a paint job, but I just cleaned up a Green (Mica) lid and it had the same cutoff lines as that one. The lid on the inside is the regular black.

Finished cleaning up the lid and end caps with most of the time cleaning the 20+ years of junk off the inside.
Start:

WqusZTq.jpg

59thuzE.jpg

bQqw4nE.jpg

After:

uylBiSN.jpg

qwzPAUJ.jpg

hOLDXyt.jpg

FMdkiYk.jpg

Jeff

Looks really nice. I'd like to find one of those Platinum models like that. Nearly got hold of one but the fire box was so warped and it needed so much refurbing I just did not care to go for it

Bruce,
Just did the tried and true 0000 steel wool with Simple Green. Works like a charm every time.

Jeff

Yep, that is what I use as well. I clean the insides with regular SS steel wool (kitchen kind) with some Simple Green or even oven cleaner. I have yet to actually scratch the porcelain coating. I won't use the kitchen steel wool on the outside just in case it does though. The inside is just soo much harder to clean up with that backed on carbonized animal flesh.

I have yet to start my personal grill project (a redhead as well). But I will try to remember some before an after photos as well. I hope my hood cleans up as well as yours. Sometimes, when they are all dirty, it is tough to see some of oxidation or chips, but it looks pretty good as it sits.

Did you repaint the box and end caps? Or were they still in good shape? Mine are going to need a few coats of Rustoleum Ultra 1200 degree paint, I am afraid.

Great work on that hood!

Man, I covet those endcaps with the internal studs ....

Slainte!

Tim

LMichaels,
Even with the warped fire box it's still an easier restore than the Genesis as the frame used on these (Summit), is a much better built and thought out and less likely to fail due to a rust issue due to the way it is assembled. I also like how the 8" wheels attach to the frame without the exposed axle and the larger Heavy Duty casters make rolling 70" of grill very easy.

You could always grab a firebox off of a good donor.

Jeff

Great work on that hood!

Man, I covet those endcaps with the internal studs ....

Slainte!

Tim

Thanks Tim,
Search out an early Genesis B or C model around 2002 and up. It bolts right up to the older Genesis lid and uses those self cutting nuts to attach.

Jeff

Did you repaint the box and end caps? Or were they still in good shape? Mine are going to need a few coats of Rustoleum Ultra 1200 degree paint, I am afraid.

Bruce,
So far I just did the end caps.I just cleaned 'em up with some Lacquer thinner and painted them with the Rustoleum Ultra. You can see the slight gloss difference between the end cap and the fire box in my pic.

Jeff

Last edited:
Chris,
This grill fits none of the definitions I see posted over the years.
I contacted Weber and they stated it was an 1988/1989 Genesis 5 LP based on the serial #L5.
Sure doesn't look like a 28 year old grill.

It doesn't have the side burner like the 5000 models do.

I Found this helpful past post from Weber employee Joe Osborn :

"It's a Genesis 5000. You could confirm this by looking at the serial number. If it starts with a "KL5" or "KN5" it is a Gen 5000 from 1993 (the first year they had glass doors) or a S/N starting with EH, EO, ER, EI, EZ, or EE. If it is a two letter code, I would need the complete S/N to confirm the model. Production for this grill started in 1993 and ended in 1999 though some of the later models had stainless steel doors according to the info we have. I hope this info helps."

Jeff

Last edited:
That is what I figured. Did you use the gloss Rustoleum ultra or the flat version?

Yeah I know I could have done that. I was just bummed when I saw the deplorable condition plus as if that wasn't enough it had a wasp (yellow jacket) nest in it somewhere and there was no way I was driving that thing home in my car. I have my limits. If I had really needed it I would have run to Menards gotten some wasp killer, sprayed it and shoved it in the Highlander and been off.

I contacted Weber and they stated it was an 1988/1989 Genesis 5 LP based on the serial #L5...

I Found this helpful past post from Weber employee Joe Osborn :

"It's a Genesis 5000. You could confirm this by looking at the serial number. If it starts with a "KL5" or "KN5" it is a Gen 5000 from 1993

I always think of the leg caster as the obvious thing that differentiates the Genesis 1/2/3/4/5 from the Genesis 1000/2000/3000/4000/5000, but if the serial number begins with L5... it's certainly a Genesis 5, and yours illustrates that the Genesis 5 came with casters and no side burner!

Deciphering Old Weber Gas Grill Serial Numbers

Chris,
I'm beginning to wonder if the previous owner(s) made two grills into one as the Weber tag states it should have a side burner...#9987C to be exact.

It is possible as it being an 28/29 year old grill that someone did something over the years. I won't feel half as bad when I do the restore to change a couple things along the way, sort of a "Restification", if you will.

Jeff

It could have been the retailer from years back too. The ones I bought my grills from regularly switched parts on and off to suit a customer request

I think a lot of the grills that are still around are FrankenGrills of some sort. It's probably fifty fifty.

Back