Chicken Wings

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all What is the best way to chicken wing parts on my WSM 22"..I have the CB Rotisserie-Rib-O-Lator?
Thanks Dan

I almost always do wings on a Kettle loaded with a vortex attachment; I've never tried them on a WSM. But speaking of your Rib-o-Lator reminds me that I have one that is NIB from 18 months ago and one of these days I think I'm going to try wings on it.

The things we buy.

I almost always do wings on a Kettle loaded with a vortex attachment; I've never tried them on a WSM. But speaking of your Rib-o-Lator reminds me that I have one that is NIB from 18 months ago and one of these days I think I'm going to try wings on it.

The things we buy.
I remember when you said you’d gotten that, it’s still un tested? Fletch! Get on that sir!
I’m going to fire some thighs for tonight! Straight indirect on the kettle (no Vortex...yet)

The things we buy.

Hi The Rib-O-Lator work ok, but your limited to the size of shelf's..I can only do BB's ribs , St Louis are way too thick, unless you tie them on.
Thanks Dan

I would try to adapt Chris's method for cooking chicken hot and fast on the wsm for wings. Take the water pan out and let the juices hit the charcoal. I bet they taste killer.

I would try to adapt Chris's method for cooking chicken hot and fast on the wsm for wings. Take the water pan out and let the juices hit the charcoal. I bet they taste killer.

I have done Chris' Hot and Fast and the results were great. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

I can get about 3-1/2 pounds of wings on a kettle, indirect between two baskets of briquettes (and some pecan). I think you could get about 5 pounds on a WSM using the hot and fast technique. I like the kettle because I can finish the wings directly over the hot baskets to crisp them up pretty good. It's a little bit of a PITA, but the result is good.

Jeff

I have done Chris' Hot and Fast and the results were great. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html

I can get about 3-1/2 pounds of wings on a kettle, indirect between two baskets of briquettes (and some pecan). I think you could get about 5 pounds on a WSM using the hot and fast technique. I like the kettle because I can finish the wings directly over the hot baskets to crisp them up pretty good. It's a little bit of a PITA, but the result is good.

Jeff

HI Can I do this on the WSM? I can put the chicken parts in a basket and turn them all over all at once. PITA to turn each one.
Thanks Dan

HI Can I do this on the WSM? I can put the chicken parts in a basket and turn them all over all at once. PITA to turn each one.
Thanks Dan

You might try cooking them on the top rack until they are nearly done, then lifting off the center section and putting a grate right on top of the charcoal ring so you can give them a close-up crisping. They will flare up a bit, but that only adds to the crispiness. Just burn them to your liking.

Jeff

Thanks Dan

You can take a second grate, lay it over the top of the first one and flip the whole thing at once. It does require confidence in your conviction but, it actually works pretty well, I’ve done it when making giant five pound stuffed burgers. Careful alignment of handles is critical to not having a “miscalculation”
Don’t ask

Hi All
Right now the wings are sitting in 3 different marinades. Tomorrow they will go into a basket then onto my Smoky Joe grill. I'm hoping I can tell which is which after they cook.
1 Italian Dressing
2 Teriyaki
3 Latin
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
Cooking very hot n fast. I had to put bricks under the basket to get some distance from the fire�� Bottom line the wings could have much more cristy. Italian dressing tasted the best.
Scroll down to see more pic's
Dan
https://imgur.com/a/ozIDPB4

Hi Tasty they were, but not crispy enough for me. They came out better on Rotisserie they were crisper.
THanks Dan

Back