Weber Genesis Silver A restore

Got up early this morning and started putting everything back together. I'd say, "it fired right up" but unfortunately I bought the wrong ignitor (plastic clips instead of a nut to hold it in) so I used a long lighter - will be purchasing a new one this week. I was incredibly surprised when the grill got to 550+ in a matter of minutes. This thing is going to be great for steak and burger, as well as chicken (and everything else really).

Overall, I had a great time doing this project. It was inexpensive and incredibly gratifying. I always like having something to do, and with a newborn and wife at home, this "mini project" was perfect. I also want to do more grilling without the PITA of messing with charcoal after a long day at work. I could definitely see myself doing another one of these in the future - I'm thinking those redheads with the wood side tables; man, those things are pretty.

Pics below:

Nice job on the rehab Joe. You will love that grill. I only kept mine for a short while, I found a Genesis Gold project to rehab and sold the Silver A. It lasted about 2 hours on CL. I just didn't have the room for both of them.

Here was my first cook on the Silver A. This was before I took it apart and rebuilt it.

Here's a couple pictures of my few cooks. The Silver A has performed great. It gets very, very hot and cooks very evenly. I did a bunch of chicken breasts on sunday for meal prep for the week and each piece cook about the same - no hot or cold spots. I'm also happy I didn't spend even more time on the grates, after a couple cooks, they don't look nearly as beautiful as they did on Saturday after finishing the restore. Thats okay though, they perform well.

The only thing I am struggling with, sometimes when I open up the propane tank and light the grill with the lighter (ignitor isn't in yet) the flame is very weak. I'll turn off the grill, close the propane tank, and try again. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times until it fires up like normal and gets hot. I haven't been able to pinpoint why and when it lights up weakly. Hoping for some feedback...

Follow the directions on the video Pat listed. If it continues to have the problem more than likely it is a defective regulator due to it's age I would replace it, be aware that Weber uses a unique thread size for their grills where it attaches to the manifold. Make sure if you replace it the regulator will fit a Weber.

Thanks for providing that link! I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Planning to grill some pizza :)

It's not that unique. ON the old grills it's a 1/8" NPT nipple. It's pretty easy to find an adapter from 1/8" NPT to the newer style type. I just did it last week on my dad's old Genesis 3000. Regulator up and died. Went to local ACE and right where they sell the regulators they had the adapters.

It's not that unique. ON the old grills it's a 1/8" NPT nipple. It's pretty easy to find an adapter from 1/8" NPT to the newer style type. I just did it last week on my dad's old Genesis 3000. Regulator up and died. Went to local ACE and right where they sell the regulators they had the adapters.

That's true, but my intent was to save him a second trip to the store. Best way is to take the old regulator with him and do a stare and compare.

Back