so how are you attaching your blower to the smoker

Here it is in action...

ZLggQnm.jpg

Its a little daughter board that works of a main board to drive the damper and temp probes. I'm trying to make it 100% compatible with the current HM code base.

Wow that looks really nice, very interested in how you integrated the servo control for the damper into the system.

Blower_zps49432627.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pet bowl and a 5 x 9 inch sheet of .060 aluminum and about 3 hours of cutting. Basically copied design from a Stoker blower. Worked real well today even without an internal damper. Dan

Here's my approach on a Chargriller Kamado Kooker.

4r5ijn.jpg

Used a rubber band (blue) to attach it to the bottom vent handle. A small piece of cereal box (frosted mini wheats) angles the fan into the air intake. There are gaps around it but I compensate by reducing the top vent.

I made a plate and tube out of copper to mount the fan on my CharGriller Kamado Kooker... The 3/4" copper pipe is hammered square to fit inside the blower opening, it fits really well, everything is soldered together for a tight seal......

vent.jpg

Nice work Ralph! I like how it's angled down to keep it out of the way. When I upgrade from the rubber band, I'll try to replicate your design.

With the CharGriller Kamado I find the 3/4" opening of the copper tube to be too large, the natural convection draft through it can make it hard to maintain a low and slow temp of 225-250. For now I tape over about 3/4 of the opening when I'm cooking at low temps and it holds well, with the tube all the way open it tends to want to rise upward toward 300 degrees or more. So I have to adjust the size of the opening to match the cook and then it holds temps well.
My other single walled smoker will hold temps below 200 with the same tubing, this Kamado really holds the heat and doesn't interface as well with the blower based system, cause a little bit of air flow and fire makes the grill really hot. I think the damper system would work much better on this Kamado but I haven't gotten around to setting that up yet. That's next on my project list, along with another blower mount that I have yet to completely design and print with my 3D printer....

Thanks. I was wondering if that wasn't a problem. I posted my last cook on my Char Grill Kamado in the HeaterMeter graphs thread. I used the Auber fan, which is a similar setup to yours, except there's a little gravity damper on the discharge of the fan. The damper isn't perfect, but it works well enough that I can keep my cooks temperature down around 240F. Actually, if I didn't turn the fan on at all, the coals probably would go out, but I've never in fact tried this. The Auber setup is pretty nice, but it's a little overpriced for what you get IMO.

Last edited:
I made a plate and tube out of copper to mount the fan on my CharGriller Kamado Kooker... The 3/4" copper pipe is hammered square to fit inside the blower opening, it fits really well, everything is soldered together for a tight seal......

vent.jpg

How did you attach the elbow to the plate that slides on the grill?

I drilled a hole in the copper plate the size of the copper tube then soldered it in place using a torch, solder and lots of flux (like you would when installing a water heater).

Solid/hard copper plate, measures just under 1mm thick, got it at Ace Hardware in with the selection of small pieces of brass, copper etc., not in with the larger sheets of metal...

Yeah Matt is a real master whiz with the 3D modeling, a level of expertise I still haven't come close to. It is good to have a project to work on though to get some experience with it.

Back