Kitchen renovation

We've put off our flooring project until the weather got cooler. We shopped this week and were directed to ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring. Anyone know much about that?

I've been reading about the vinyl plank, I'm gonna investigate that some more.

I don't know about ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring?
But I've used laminate flooring that looks like ceramic tile.

Tim

Our master bathroom has wood look ceramic tile. It looks great but I think Vinyl planking can look just as good and will save money. I second the vote for Quartz countertops. We had Marble in our guest bathroom and we remodeled it this year and SWMBO chose Quartz so in 12 years we have now replaced all of our countertops with Quartz.

We've put off our flooring project until the weather got cooler. We shopped this week and were directed to ceramic tile that looks like wood flooring. Anyone know much about that?

Hey Lynn; I’m a General Contractor and the quality and selection of ceramic “wood plank” flooring is top notch these days. Extremely versatile, lots of varieties, tough, and very much in demand. You will not regret using it.

Hey Lynn; I’m a General Contractor and the quality and selection of ceramic “wood plank” flooring is top notch these days. Extremely versatile, lots of varieties, tough, and very much in demand. You will not regret using it.

KT, what about porcelain vrs ceramic ? I think the porcelain has a much lower installation cost, even if the tiles may cost more . After getting our first quote, it appears that labor is a large part of the cost of ceramic.

I'm also leery of maybe getting a good price on ceramic tile but not knowing anything about the manufacturer. Our quote uses Shaw. Are there brand names we should avoid ?

We're gonna get a couple more quotes. And we know of a tile guy , he's worked for us before, and we're gonna talk to him about providing the labor then we go to a place like Floors and Decors to buy the matierial .

We re-did our hall bathroom earlier this year and used it. I absolutely love it. Looks like barn wood. I'm happy to provide a pic or two if you'd like.

KT, what about porcelain vrs ceramic ? I think the porcelain has a much lower installation cost, even if the tiles may cost more . After getting our first quote, it appears that labor is a large part of the cost of ceramic.

I'm also leery of maybe getting a good price on ceramic tile but not knowing anything about the manufacturer. Our quote uses Shaw. Are there brand names we should avoid ?

We're gonna get a couple more quotes. And we know of a tile guy , he's worked for us before, and we're gonna talk to him about providing the labor then we go to a place like Floors and Decors to buy the matierial .

Porcelain over ceramic every time. Porcelain is denser and harder; holds up better over time. Don’t worry about brands; look at the quality of the tile. It should be consistent dimensionally, have several variation patterns (there should be 6 or more different “patterns” in the tile so 2 next to each other don’t look like duplicates), and the coloration should go deep enough at the edges that a little reveal in your grout wont show white along the edge of the tile.

That last statement about color depth is in case you go with ceramic; porcelain color should go all the way through.

Last edited:
I will have a quote tomorrow on Core Tec vinyl planks.

Wife and I are going back and forth between ceramic tile and vinyl plank.

Fella was suppose to be here 20 minutes ago to measure the house and give a quote.

I'm looking really closely at CoreTec Plus. Those of you with CoreTec, how has it held up to sun exposure ? We have a large bay window with a southern exposure. I'm reading some horror stories about vinyl plank fading quickly to sunlight.

I think I've got a pretty good quote on Cortec Plus. I'm gonna get one more quote from another dealer here in town, and then pull the trigger.

Finally, after much agonizing on my part, our new flooring will be installed beginning next Monday.

We went with engineered hardwood.

Vinyl plank has been the most popular wood like flooring, but the cost of vinyl plank has gone up and engineered hardwood has come down, there's really not much difference between the two. And we liked the appearance of engineered hardwood better than vinyl plank.

I'll be glad to get this over with and get back to smoking meats.

We went with engineered hardwood in our dining room a few years ago. I'm still very happy with the choice. The finish they pout on at the factory seems like diamond to me. It has been very resistant to some unbelievable abuse, mostly on my part.

Back