Bruce's Genesis Red Head 1000 Restore - Before & After

Hey Bruce, would you happen to have an extra left-side swing table? I have a local guy that I usually buy parts from, but would like to know what else is available.

I actually do have another swing table, but I already have a grill that needs one. It is also missing the support rod hardware. Actually, I think a guy could pretty easily fashion his own if he had the original parts to work off of for the table itself. The hardest part would be the support rod and its supporting hardware.

Hey Brian, if you have a Lowe's nearby they sell (at least near me in Maryland) slats that are nearly perfect in size, all you need to do is cut to length. I stained mine
with Teak oil, still perfect a year later. I also was missing the slider rail parts for my side table, called Weber and as I recall got them for a great price. Weber people
are super to deal with. Look over your grill carefully for any missing end caps, etc cuz when I ordered a few parts they threw some small things like that in free. Good luck, it's totally worth it.

Ed did you use the Watco for the teak oil and yes I got the slat parts figured out thank you and Bruce what did you use for the teak oil just trying to get a few opinions and how hard was the process.

Brian, I am almost positive my grill was the same as yours. It didn't come with the swing down table. It was missing, but also missing was that slide bar. I have seen others that have that bend and from what I could tell just plugged into the hole in the frame to hold it up. I am sure mine was that type at it's birth. But, I found a grill that had the slide bar style and it just bolted right into the existing holes on my frame. I would try to find that type of swing table as well. Buying an entire new table and hardware online will run you about $80, but if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, you should eventually find a donor grill for $50 or less, quite possibly free. That is what I did. My donor shelf was also Durawood, but I switched it back to real wood.

Good luck.
Bruce

So Bruce I found the part on ebay 10381 which is the slider with a new rod mine was bent it was 20 bucks free shipping he had 3 now he has 2 if anyone needs that. I called weber for some parts including that one since my grill did not have that slider they would not sell it to me because the setup I had was an original bracket in the back plug the rod in then move it to the front when extended into another hole, I have the table brackets so no issue there. If you might what is the length of the bolts for that slider since doubt it comes with those.

Brian

So Bruce I found the part on ebay 10381 which is the slider with a new rod mine was bent it was 20 bucks free shipping he had 3 now he has 2 if anyone needs that. I called weber for some parts including that one since my grill did not have that slider they would not sell it to me because the setup I had was an original bracket in the back plug the rod in then move it to the front when extended into another hole, I have the table brackets so no issue there. If you might what is the length of the bolts for that slider since doubt it comes with those.

Brian

Brian, thanks for the head-up on that ebay listing - I bought one of the remaining two. The slider is so much better than the other method.

They do not come with bolts as you probably already realized. The factory screws are 1.75" NOT including the screw head. That's just enough for 2 nylon washers and the nut on the other side.

I installed it on my redhead earlier this week.

J glad I could contribute something my wife would not have lived with that setup I knew it did not come with the screws or bolts. A little confused is it a 10x24 bolt at 1.75 length you mentioned screws so a plastic washer on each side with a regular nut?

Brian

Hey Bruce, I noticed that the emblem is different on the 'after' pics. Did you get that as a replacement from Weber?

Nah, I am sure I didn't buy one from Weber. I don't remember for sure, but most likely, I canibalized it off another grill or otherwise, I refurbished it.

EDIT: After going back and looking, I see that it was both cannibalized off another grill and refurbished. I didn't even notice before, the reversal of the kettle logo and the Weber name.

Last edited:
Haha okay yeah. Or maybe the little kettle grill in there just hopped to the other side. Hopefully my grill looks as good as yours when I'm done with it!

Haha okay yeah. Or maybe the little kettle grill in there just hopped to the other side. Hopefully my grill looks as good as yours when I'm done with it!

Yeah, Bruce set a pretty high bar for the rest of us to try and meet! :D It is a beautiful grill, and with those rcplanebuyer grates I am sure make it a joy to grill with.

Back