this place seems dead

People always ask me how I can stand living in Arizona because its so hot there. Then I show them this picture, which is my backyard in November. It's like this every winter.

37641273036_b06e7f013f_z.jpg

Rich is that your Golden, I have one also we might get an inch or two of snow a few times a year and that dog loves to go out in the snow.

Brian

Rich is that your Golden, I have one also we might get an inch or two of snow a few times a year and that dog loves to go out in the snow.

Brian

That's Raddy a Golden, we lost her about two years ago. She was the seventh Golden we have had share our lives with us. Six of the seven were rescues. All were wonderful dogs. They all loved the snow, Raddy would go find even a small patch of snow and lay in it a take a nap.
We now have a rescue that is part Golden/Husky/Coyote, she has the super friendly disposition of a Golden, the stubbornness of a Husky and the hunting skills of a Coyote. She is a great pup loves everyone.
Here's another picture of Raddy sleeping in the snow

37439988180_8e7536db29_c.jpg

Rich thanks for sharing regarding your golden. Our best friends rescued a golden a couple of years ago. He's a wonderful dog.

My wife and I have had Corgis for the past 30 years. Always had one while we were raising our two boys. Our current corgi Kari is 12. She's a real joy for a couple of empty nesters like us.

That's Raddy a Golden, we lost her about two years ago. She was the seventh Golden we have had share our lives with us. Six of the seven were rescues. All were wonderful dogs. They all loved the snow, Raddy would go find even a small patch of snow and lay in it a take a nap.
We now have a rescue that is part Golden/Husky/Coyote, she has the super friendly disposition of a Golden, the stubbornness of a Husky and the hunting skills of a Coyote. She is a great pup loves everyone.
Here's another picture of Raddy sleeping in the snow

37439988180_8e7536db29_c.jpg
Sorry for the loss I love my Golden watch dogs they are not loves everybody as long as I give the nod sounds like you found a good replacement and a I commend you for doing a rescue dog. My dog is purebred my first dog was a rescue unlucky bit one of the kids did my best spent a sizable amount of money to try to train him hoping it would not happen again but it did. My wife's cat is a rescue.

Brian

I'm glad you've had good luck with rescues. One of my sisters took in a rescue. Sadly her's is not right in the head. He's better now that he's older but still quite unpredictable. He'll wander around peacefully seemingly looking for some love, and you can pet him then all of a sudden the teeth will bare, he'll growl and sometimes just snap. Scary dog. This is the only thing that scares me about them (rescue dogs). You just don't know what led up to them being a rescue many times. Though I have also known many folks who like you have had wonderful gentle dogs come to them. Maybe it has to do with the breed.

All I have had is rescue dogs. I had a Golden that was just great aside from the fact that she loved stinky things. On a hot day she would find an old swampy mud hole and lay down in it. She would find an old dead animal and roll in it. She started having seizures one day and the vet couldn't make her stop aside from completely putting her under. We had to put her down. Great dog. So calm and tame and loving.

Our current dog is a cattle dog and was a rescue. Another great sole but he likes to get into the trash about once a month for some reason. The big issue with him is that he has a condition where his patella tendons do not stay over the knee caps. They slide off to the sides which is quite painful for the dog. He gets around OK, but he is more like a 12 year old dog than a 6 year old. He can do about a half mile walk and then it is resting time for him. Doctor said that they could do surgery, but it would cost $8000 and they could only do one leg at a time which would put even more stress on the other leg and they can't do them less than a month apart. Said sometimes the dog winds up in worse shape after wards. So, he deals with it.
Obviously that is why he was given up to the shelter, but that isn't what we were told. We have had him for 7 or 8 years now. I just dread the later years for this dog.

The little guy is my daughter's pocket dog.
fxZ1Z4t.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Larry, didn't mean to steal your thread from grilling in bad weather to dogs.
You're right Barb and I were commenting on how quiet the forum is, not much going on. I will say those that can take the cold and do grilling and Q in those miserable conditions have a lot more tolerance than I have for cold weather.

Last edited:
No biggie. I love dogs really. Can't own one due to allergies (more my wife's not mine) but still love them. Bruce, BTW we did go to Ishnala yesterday. Just got back a short while ago. It was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend it. Not cheap. I think with drinks and food for my wife and I was about $155. But the wait staff is well picked. They are friendly and welcoming. Bartenders are VERY knowledgeable and know how to mix a drink. IMO if someone went there and was dissatisfied the issue is with them not Ishanala. Met the owner. Very friendly (my wife and my daughter deal with his son here in Rockford) also very friendly guy. If you're looking for a "splurge" experience I can't recommend it enough. In these days too, where even going to Culvers costs an arm and a leg it is easier to justify Ishanala LOL

LOL, I just ate at Culvers today. Less than $10 for the Cod basket meal. I am not in any way in the income bracket to where I would ever spend $75 for a meal. I suppose it is the price of the place that makes it less than desirable to some patrons. But, living in the Wisconsin Dells area is all about high prices. They all raise their prices here due to the tourist industry. I rarely eat out in the Dells. Many places in the dells don't care about quality or service since they don't expect return business from the tourists. Even the McDonalds here refuses to offer the two for $5 deals and the "any size soft drink for $1" deals. Every other one I have gone to in the area does.

Just a tip, if you ever come up here again, you can get "local discount" at many places in town if you just ask for it....Like I said, they jack up their prices for the tourists.

Any way, I am sure your meal put my fish sandwich to shame, but I got seven more trips for the same price. And it was probably a nice drive and nice view from the restaurant to see some of the color changes on the trees.

Your Culvers sounds cheaper than the ones here. If we go to Culvers typically we get a small burger for the little guy, 2 piece fish for me, daughter and wife like typically chicken strips or some such or a burger. We can't seem to get out of there for less than $50! The place that amazes me for value is Steak & Shake. Great food, they actually serve you on real plates with real silverware and costs less than half of going to Culvers and I swear just as good.
Believe me I'm personally nowhere near the $75 per meal income bracket. This was a treat for my friends, my wife and I. We figure we may do this once a year. Honestly it's the first time we have "splurged" in maybe 5 or 6 years! Anyway, I just wanted to let you know if someone walked out of Ishnala unhappy the issue is with them NOT with Ishnala.
The guy who runs it is affiliated also with a supper club type place here in Rockford called Hoffman House. His son runs that and he runs Ishnala. Both places are the same price brackets, serve the same foods and drinks. But, here the scenery is a parking lot at E. State and Bell School Rds. There it's Mirror Lake. I'll take the lake LOL.
We're thinking the next time we go, it may be a nice time to invite our friends from Minneapolis. It would be a nice way to spend an evening and perhaps a little day time side trip. Convenient for all of us since it's right off 90/94. Wife is from MSP area. (I'm a Chicago B&R kid actually born in Cicero). But actually raised in the city. Still love and miss being in Chicago. Can't afford it though. I.e. a little bungalow that in Chicago would set you back about $400k would be about $65k here. HUGE difference LOL.
Anyway we had a great time. I can highly recommend it if you wanna do a nice night out with the wife and friends. Definitely not a weekly experience and Bob Prosser knows that. So he makes sure that your "splurge" is $$$$ well spent and he walks around to make sure of it

Glad you liked it. And I am sure the view is very nice. From a canoe on mirror lake the restaurant looks quite grand. If you do come back and stay a while, don't forget to ask other places if they offer a local discount. Many of the restaurants do, dunkin donuts, etc.... They know they are jacking up their prices and don't want to punish the locals in the process.

ns0Qh75.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is Mirror lake is restricted only to non power boats is that correct?
Honestly in re to other businesses I'll remember to ask though most likely will not use them. It's only a little over 90 minutes from my house and all I really need is a place to "sleep it off" LOL and go home next AM

Yep, I believe you are correct on the "non power" boat regulation. However, I do think they allow electric trolling motors. That makes it a nice peaceful lake, unlike the Wisconsin River and Lake Delton here in the Dells in the summer time. You would get swamped in ten minutes on either of those bodies of water with a canoe during the summer.

I'm glad you've had good luck with rescues. One of my sisters took in a rescue. Sadly her's is not right in the head. He's better now that he's older but still quite unpredictable. He'll wander around peacefully seemingly looking for some love, and you can pet him then all of a sudden the teeth will bare, he'll growl and sometimes just snap. Scary dog. This is the only thing that scares me about them (rescue dogs). You just don't know what led up to them being a rescue many times. Though I have also known many folks who like you have had wonderful gentle dogs come to them. Maybe it has to do with the breed.

Yes taking in a rescue is definitely a risk. We took in a mixed breed from a shelter once and she also wasn't right in the head. I greatly admire people that do it but I'm not sure I would do it again.

I just finished smoking some Hot Hungarian Wax Peppers. They will be fully dried in my dehydrator and then ground into Paprika.

The grills popping up on CL have sure hit a wall. I guess that makes sense and probably a good thing. I have to find somewhere to store the ones in my garage for the winter as it is.

SvAMSJg.jpg

mj59Vq1.jpg

blnMPz4.jpg

FRxxrzo.jpg

Back