Smoke Day Hangout/Chat

Glad you got yours in JR, my butt is in the oven now :(
My wife is doing what she can to protect the flowers that she's worked hard to get planted the last few days.

Welcome aboard Erik!

Fine looking bird Ed!

Last edited:
Brisket is done 4 1/2 hours 360+- pulled at 202 degrees and butter tender. In the cooler for a few hours to rest.

Barb made some sailboat salsa devilled eggs and some poppers for a lunch snack.
100_0351_zpstordyoif.jpg

Whitney volunteered to watch over the cooler so nobody would snag it.
100_0355_zpsmc5iq9wx.jpg

Just got the beans to make and we are good to go.

I could eat some of those snacks right now Rich.
Jo just finished making deviled eggs, but no sails, dang it!

Great thread Bob. Got going up here around 5:30 this morning. Doing a 14.77 lb. Packer today. Got it trimmed last night so I was pretty much ready to roll as soon as I got the 22 WSM up to temp, which is 225 for this cook, and applied the seasoning. Warmish here today, supposed to be in the mid 90's, so not too bad.

Rubbed down. On WSM at 6:30.

This was about 3 hours in.

6 hours. Wrapped in Butcher Paper at this point. Brisket was at 161 IT at this point.

8 hours into the cook now. IT just cracked 174 IT. WSM cruising at 225.

That's it for now. Will update later. Happy Smoke Day everyone! More importantly Happy Memorial Day in advance.

Well done, everyone. Gives me so much inspiration! My first post, first Smoke Day. Smoking a whole chicken today... Heatermeter and WSM 14 have been a nice steady 250. 1.5 hours to go. Big thanks for my buddy David R for getting me into the heatermeter crowd and helping me with the fine details of my setup. Also thanks to Ralph Timble and Bryan Maryland for their amazing products. Great job, guys!

Go HeaterMeter! :D

Looks really good everyone.
Having a 2 day smoke day here. Brisket & bacon today. Company coming tomorrow. Ribs are on the menu. Beef spares & 2 racks of Baby Backs.
Weather here has been great. Bob hope that Jo's flowers make it.

Looking good Cliff!

Russ, she has some of them sheltered under my grills and such.
Turns out the storm weakened the closer it got and is now passing, thankfully.

Bo2vp4DPrnYf-c56ViT6A-4O6zPVTlJupK57SCIytYd97tse0bFdKzfBR2uVa_g4eP6wdn1HXRdUFNmYwDhAvYnS7lkIKX3z88QnChyXngWKnSIx9jFjf6mNE9gbVS_3WFXMvpN158GZi9FCCk7tL_M3Fk_sKRmIl1wo2CTI8nkb_Zm004NLsAVSC25edWLhnXCxoxqiPzuR8MupEA3o3NDliLKE7o53dxPulHVTs42PoppHsQjTgnkZTU8lnr1SWbG2JfuOpMwClodum6rPY04I0N7XI6zPL-FNiYauwMUqBMm3Zhh1XKV7o7BgNbYoUDgfPs1W5GsUFX8J1GUWmpII1aYqvatd9Utfz6IJ9qFI_xWeztBgCF0ecH8w1NWAEVBKvIhZrWWh5IH6BUk_Zvc9OOEZJFFMXjyeKCEnFrj-4l3xeAcdKBmi7GDEaRMfNQ8MMJoVjXIqeBfcvrrDdw8cVESRUamgHZnDzxo7gjHFvZFW4eohQOiTUBktxA5d1lTyhlt5aVccFsyBCdGHFnMMuJV5plUsbgftIzzrbZPo2Bp7wfGd1CxXdpfNRioSW65bn241ODCbn1BwDUAv86wJglwkXadb60bj3jOD8JTNhkH2XYcfqA=w672-h896-no

Cool thread! Glad I found it. I have 2 5-6 pound butts rubbed down and in the fridge. Gonna put them on the 18.5 WSM in about an hour for tomorrow nights day late SD feast!

Today is Smoke Day for me. Just began surveying the landscape. Storms rolled thru last night so I better deploy the Dallas Cowboy Blue EZ-Up for my brisket cook. Here I am with covers still on prepping the battlefield in my Smoke Day VIII T shirt.

https://flic.kr/p/TXqM5s

Last edited:
I am humbled and ashamed to admit that I completely forgot about Smoke Day. How can a retired guy with not much to do, let that happen?
Guess that I will fire up the 14.5 WSM for some smoked pork chops for dinner tonight.
All of the things that you guys smoked look great!

Today I cooked a small brisket flat and a big ole Tri tip. Took the brisket off a little too soon. It could've been more tender but was still pretty good. Tri tip was great. Cooked it on the WSM with no water pan at 300-350 degrees. Took about 2 hrs to cook it. Will definitely be doing that again. Unfortunately no pics to share. You'll just have to take my word for it. 🙄:wsm22:

Today I cooked a small brisket flat and a big ole Tri tip. Took the brisket off a little too soon. It could've been more tender but was still pretty good. Tri tip was great. Cooked it on the WSM with no water pan at 300-350 degrees. Took about 2 hrs to cook it. Will definitely be doing that again. Unfortunately no pics to share. You'll just have to take my word for it. :wsm22:
We'll let you off the hook this time Russ, just don't let it happen again. :p
Sounds like some good eats, happy to see you back here!
Hope the storms didn't hit you too hard down there.

Back