Smoking Wood

Pecan, California Red Oak, Cherry.
I have never used hichory for all meat. Especially chicken, turkey. Just too over-powering.

Post Oak is very versatile and good for grilling as well as smoking. The flavor is deep, but not strong or overwhelming.

Jeff

I think Pecan is a good all around wood. I love post oak, but i find the flavor can be a little intense for chicken of smaller cuts of meat like beef short ribs. Need to cut it with a fruit wood at times.

rb

That is kind of like asking is one BBQ sauce is good for all meats. Or one type of ice cream is good for all dessert.

If I were to pick only ONE wood - it would be Apple.

However - I keep several types on-hand

You may also want to factor-in the type of Charcoal that you're using when selecting the type and amount of Smoke Wood that you use:

Some charcoals ALREADY have a certain amount of smoky flavor built-in (K-hickory, K-mesquite, regular K-Blue Bag)
In these cases - a few chunks of smoke wood is all that you need

Some charcoals are very "flavor-neutral" (I find Cowboy lump to be in this category) -
With these, you can really lay-on the smoke wood

As you get comfortable with cooking different meats on your WSM - you will also find that:
- Some meats are better with MORE / Stronger Smoke Wood (Pulled Pork / Shoulder)
- Some meats (Un-Brined Poultry) only need a little or sometimes none at all

MOST of the time - I like a "mix" of about 50% Hickory / 50% Apple.
(Too much Hickory imparts a "hammy" taste that can become over-powering.)

Experiment around - at first, I would try only one kind of wood at a time, and see what you like.
It's a learning process, and since everybody's "taster" is different - it IS NOT an exact science

Good grief Rich, we must have some sort of cosmic connection! I just got some olive wood from my sister for Christmas! What have you used it on, I'm thinking some lamb would benefit from it, chicken?

My input ,which is the same as the infamous Stogie who was a key player on this site for many years. I probably learned more from him than anyone else......

TVWBB All-Star
Hi Gary!

I just have to chime in here. I know there are many on this board who do not agree with me, but, my bet still stands........side-by-side tests of these woods and you pick which is which....same meat, same seasonings, same cooker. I'll bet there are VERY few of us who could get it right. I admit, I can't!

I still have a hard time telling the difference between, hickory, oak, pear and apple. Those are the woods I use for every smoke and I been doing it for over 15 years.

I firmly believe that at your "newbie" stage of smoking, you will NOT be able to tell the difference between any of the smoking woods....except mesquite(maybe)!! Concentrate instead on the AMOUNT of smoke you use and then start experimenting.

I'll guarantee you the BRITU will taste just as good with hickory as with any of the other woods you use!

My advice, I agree with John and George, go the scrounge route and you should NEVER have to pay for wood. I will literally cut branches from my trees the day I am smoking and use them...bark and green and everything!! This method has served me well as I have done pretty good in the competitions I have entered.

I realize not everyone has the good fortune of having trees in their back yards, but, there are so many sources of free wood if you just give it some thought. Just make sure you know it is some type of hardwood or fruitwood. You only need 2-3 fist size chunks per cook...it's not like you need a cord of logs!!

Anyway, that's my 15 years worth of experience opinion! Good luck in your search!

Stogie

Good grief Rich, we must have some sort of cosmic connection! I just got some olive wood from my sister for Christmas! What have you used it on, I'm thinking some lamb would benefit from it, chicken?

So far pork (steaks) & beef (Steaks and tri tip) and best of all the kettle pizza. The wood burns hot and long so you get the hot fire needed for the pizza cooks and it doesn't take a lot, two fist size chunks on top of the hot coals will give you all you need. It also adds a nice mild smoke taste to the pizza. Good stuff!

Very delicate on the chicken last night, one small chunk was perfect, this is a smoke medium I will have to play with a bit!

Back