New Weber grill....question about sear station and quality

Barry I wish I could help you. I do have a neighbor with a newer genesis the model just prior to the genesis II and it gets plenty hot. He has no complaints at all with his. I would assume the new model does too but I don't know that for a fact. Hopefully someone else with experience with that newest model will chime in.

Lmichaels I'm not sure how you can say it's "blind faith" in weber? It's not blind faith when I know numerous people with the newer products. Again they are performing well. And appear to be holding up great.

But I don't know anyone that owns a summit either. And I know there are a some examples of the summit models having issues including yours. But I'm not aware of many at all with any of the newer genesis models.

When I look at the new weber genesis II models I see a rock solid grill. The frame on the open cart genesis II models actually looks and feels stronger than the one on my 1000. Same cast aluminium firebox. Maybe slightly thinner but not much. Same heavy porcelain lid. I just don't see any weak points. I see no reason why it wouldn't last several decades like it's predecessor.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one.

Yep. Really just pointing out if MY $$$ were being spent that Weber has not given me any reason to spend those $$$ with them.

I have eight Weber's the youngest is 10 years old and the oldest is 22 years old. I'll be 70 next year and I'm willing to bet all eight of my Weber's will be doing what they do best long after I'm gone.
At this stage of my life a new grill isn't in my expectations at all and for that I'm thankful.
I just read where Holdon of Australia which is a subsidiary of General Motors produce it's last car yesterday because the people of Australia didn't want to pay the premium for the cars made there so they couldn't compete with lower costs of vehicles made in China.
Also GM now sells more cars in China than the USA.
So made in China is something that not only is going to increase as people become more cost conscious as made in America jobs go away and manufactures have to compete to get there products built at the lowest costs.
Don't like it but that's the way it is.

"When I look at the new weber genesis II models I see a rock solid grill. The frame on the open cart genesis II models actually looks and feels stronger than the one on my 1000. Same cast aluminium firebox. Maybe slightly thinner but not much. Same heavy porcelain lid. I just don't see any weak points. I see no reason why it wouldn't last several decades like it's predecessor."

I have had the same reaction to the new Genesis II grills that I have seen. I hope I am not allowing the shiny newness to cloud my judgment, but looking at them in person they DO seem to be of decent quality. As others have mentioned, I am glad they brought back the simpler open cart option. It does at least appear that they have tried to improve the burners and even the frame looks better to me. The real test will be to see how they hold up over a reasonable time frame. It would be nice if they offered an alternative to the painted steel frame. Unless cared for meticulously, it is doomed to rust out, at least in our salt air, wet Florida environment. If not on the Genesis, then at least the Summit grills should have this option.

I don't like it at all that Weber has pretty much gone the "make it in China" route. I felt that establishing the Spirit line as a lower cost Chinese alternative was PERHAPS an acceptable compromise, but Genesis and Summit grills could - and should - be made here profitably. It would justify an even higher price, in my view, IF they were truly US made. Nonetheless, while there is a lot of cheap junk from China there are also some good products. So, since I can't afford a new Weber, I will watch on the sidelines and troll Craigslist for when they start popping up there. The ability of the Genesis IIs to hold up and hold value will tell a lot. I know that the Genesis 300 series are getting easier to find at low prices due to the often-noted problems with rusty cart enclosures and failing legs.

Because of the deals on rust-ruined Genesis 300 series grills, I am getting more interested in restoring these and addressing at least part of the problem with stainless steel replacement bottoms and backs that my sheet metal shop owner friend has made for me. Hopefully, some of the rust-repair ideas such as Eastwood POR 15 that I learned about on this forum will also help turn around salvageable examples and give them many more years of service. As grills go, I think the 300 series are actually excellent cookers that also look nice on the patio.

So, I think the Genesis II grills do show promise, but I will admit that there are questions left that only time will answer.

Last edited:
Of course Rich you know that Buick has begun selling Chinese made models here. One is a small SUV and the other is a sedan. Though I forgot the models. I find it so weird that companies like Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, along with the Korean brands are all falling all over themselves to build plants here while GM is going the cheapskate route and using Chinese slave labor. And I do believe it has to be slave labor. If not, how can they afford to build the cars, (grills) what have you there, pay for importing much of the materials and then cover the cost of shipping, taxes and what have you to sell the product(s) here? There has GOT to be something wrong with this picture. <Political comment snipped...>

Last edited by a moderator:

I have had the same reaction to the new Genesis II grills that I have seen. I hope I am not allowing the shiny newness to cloud my judgment, but looking at them in person they DO seem to be of decent quality. As others have mentioned, I am glad they brought back the simpler open cart option. It does at least appear that they have tried to improve the burners and even the frame looks better to me. The real test will be to see how they hold up over a reasonable time frame. It would be nice if they offered an alternative to the painted steel frame. Unless cared for meticulously, it is doomed to rust out, at least in our salt air, wet Florida environment. If not on the Genesis, then at least the Summit grills should have this option.

I don't like it at all that Weber has pretty much gone the "make it in China" route. I felt that establishing the Spirit line as a lower cost Chinese alternative was PERHAPS an acceptable compromise, but Genesis and Summit grills could - and should - be made here profitably. It would justify an even higher price, in my view, IF they were truly US made. Nonetheless, while there is a lot of cheap junk from China there are also some good products. So, since I can't afford a new Weber, I will watch on the sidelines and troll Craigslist for when they start popping up there. The ability of the Genesis IIs to hold up and hold value will tell a lot. I know that the Genesis 300 series are getting easier to find at low prices due to the often-noted problems with rusty cart enclosures and failing legs.

Because of the deals on rust-ruined Genesis 300 series grills, I am getting more interested in restoring these and addressing at least part of the problem with stainless steel replacement bottoms and backs that my sheet metal shop owner friend has made for me. Hopefully, some of the rust-repair ideas such as Eastwood POR 15 that I learned about on this forum will also help turn around salvageable examples and give them many more years of service. As grills go, I think the 300 series are actually excellent cookers that also look nice on the patio.

So, I think the Genesis II grills do show promise, but I will admit that there are questions left that only time will answer.

Unfortunately even the old almost bullet proof genesis II and 1000 series rust in a coastal salt air environment. But usually rust can be kept at bay by treating it when you find it. Most people don't act until it's too late.

Maybe someday they'll build a grill with a titanium or tungsten frame and firebox. I would think that would hold up even in coastal areas. Probably cost prohibitive though.

Good luck on finding a weber to rehab. I really love the two i rehabbed. I'm a fan of their newer grills but actually or the simplicity of their older models.

Every piece of my Wolf grill is 304SS except the grates. Bare cast iron and a lost cause. No matter how much I clean and season they're crumbling away. Hoping to invest in some nice SS grates for it

Larry, you ate your SS grates at Ishnala a couple weeks ago. :)

But yah, all kidding aside, I would really love a set of the RCPlanebuyer grates for my Genesis 1000. The used stamped steel ones in there now are doing OK, but by next year, I am hoping to have the SS grates as well. I know they are pretty much a lifetime purchase that will easily save money in the long run, but it is just hard to part with that kind of money.

LOL I know I did, but we had such a nice time there. Somehow, good friends, good food trump stainless grates a little anyway

Larry, you ate your SS grates at Ishnala a couple weeks ago. :)

But yah, all kidding aside, I would really love a set of the RCPlanebuyer grates for my Genesis 1000. The used stamped steel ones in there now are doing OK, but by next year, I am hoping to have the SS grates as well. I know they are pretty much a lifetime purchase that will easily save money in the long run, but it is just hard to part with that kind of money.

Bruce have you considered the bbq parts solid for grates for your 1000? I think they are $90 with $10 shipping so $100 total. I think the rcplanebuyer grates are $140 or so with shipping. I like the rcplanebuyer grates a little better but maybe not 40% better (the approximate cost difference).

Yes, I recently ordered a set of flavo bars and stamped stainless cooking grates from BBQParts for one of my rehab grills. I thought I remember a quote of $120 for the RCPlanebuyer grates...but that might have been with the Flovorizer bars I ordered from him so it would have combined shipping.
They both use 304 stainless but the RCPlanebuyer grate rods are 3/8" if I remember correctly and the BBQParts.com ones are 5/16". I suppose that isn't a huge difference but I would pay an extra $20 for them. Maybe not $40 however.

Yes, I recently ordered a set of flavo bars and stamped stainless cooking grates from BBQParts for one of my rehab grills. I thought I remember a quote of $120 for the RCPlanebuyer grates...but that might have been with the Flovorizer bars I ordered from him so it would have combined shipping.
They both use 304 stainless but the RCPlanebuyer grate rods are 3/8" if I remember correctly and the BBQParts.com ones are 5/16". I suppose that isn't a huge difference but I would pay an extra $20 for them. Maybe not $40 however.

It's been a while since I bought them but I think the rcplanebuyer grates for my 1000 were $120 plus $20 shipping for $140 total.

Back