Lodge Cast Iron Griddle

I wonder if you need a Mason card to flip burners with that

LOL, I doubt it would help. I had to resort to my long handled Coleman spatula to flip the burgers after one began to tear apart. A few of them wanted to stick to the bottom of the trowel, too, but the spatula scraped them off in short order.

I smashed 10 two ounce burgers today, and I used a potato masher with the trowel for extra leverage. I thought I did a respectable job for my first time out, but I am not sure if the crustification was up to standards. Nevertheless, I thought the burgers were OK. Are they better than flame kissed? Not at this time, but I will try again soon.

Not the best of pictures, but here is my triple-decker burger, and a shot of some leftover patties in the bottom of a pot...

7-7-18%20012.jpg

7-7-18%20014.jpg

For what it's worth, the patties cooked down to 1.6 oz in weight, and they were not dry at all. A little kosher salt provided good seasoning.

Thanks!

I spent time last night on Roku watching smashburger videos, and I saw good ideas such as using parchment paper to prevent sticking to the press, meatballs up to 4oz in size, using 85% ground round, using a spice mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder, special sauce mixtures, etc.

I was also thinking - what's to stop someone from making smashburgers on a griddle, and then doing the final flip onto a charcoal grill? Assuming the charcoal grill can accommodate the griddle, you could get the best of both worlds. :cool:

we camped in the Chevy “Greenbriar” van that he’d converted for very comfortable camping, I wish I still had it!

That's too funny. I used to love camping and picked up a 9 passenger Greenbriar van and converted it into a camper van getting a lot of stuff out of a wrecked Volkswagen camper van. Loved the thing except it was gutless, got a 165ci 140 hp corvair engine out of a 1965 Corsa and warmed it over and was getting about 170 hp. That put a whole lot of life in that corvair van. Surprised a lot of people. Wish I still had mine too.

Ours didn’t have the pop up,or the “Belly band” but, close! Dad made the whole interior conversion removeable with a “key piece” of 3/4” plywood on the floor. In ten minutes it could be returned to a cargo van! I miss my father and his creativity with those things.

Tried cooking some salmon fillets and a single piece of cod on the griddle today. I used coconut oil to keep the fish from sticking, and I used a sprinkling of Tone's Rosemary & Garlic spice for added flavor. Ordinarily, we cook fillets in a basket, but the griddle / coconut oil combination was outstanding...

7-8-18%20004.jpg

7-8-18%20006.jpg

In case you're wondering, the top veggie is Bob's famous Redneck Caviar, the veggie on the right is a reduced sugar Kale salad with pecans, and the bottom entree is garden fresh stir-fry squash.

Best dinner I've had all week! :)

Last edited:

Back