Smokey Joe Yakiniku Table

George and James, we're basically on the same page. I was thinking along those line, but not forced air. I'm hoping the heat from the grill will create a natural updraft. Something very simple... and completely out of the way when not needed.

Anyway, I pretty much finished the table yesterday, paint and all, under a covered patio as we had some rain.

I did not use high-heat paint but from experience most spray-can paint can handle a fair amount of heat.

I'm getting a new CI grate also....

BBQ.table.5_zpswxx6q8te.jpg

BBQ.table.6_zpsgjbkmmpl.jpg

BBQ.table.7_zpslvhujuhr.jpg

BBQ.table.8_zpsfmdiingt.jpg

BBQ.table.9_zps1mqusnqa.jpg

BBQ.table.10_zpsc1uybjyl.jpg

Last edited:
Test run tonight. All went well, used about 50 Stubbs briquettes, and never had to crack open the bottom vent, and got 2 solid hours of grill time and socialization. If that's the case I might just use the Sj Gold that I have and save the Silver for some real grilling.... :lol:

C30A61B2-2459-4749-A12C-9AE4589C592C_zpsgywn5zsr.jpg

Thanks!

Some observations from last night's test run:

It was a calm night so the little smoke we had was never a problem. The cuts of meat I used last night were not marinated so they did not produce as much smoke. We used a dipping sauce.
The bronze paint on the collar held up well, although it got a little tacky initially, it seemed well baked and cured by morning.
It was a cool evening and we were in shorts. The heat from the bottom of the grill kept our legs nice and warm. This may be a problem on warmer nights. I might rig up some kind of a heat shield or experiment by placing an oversized steel bowl beneath the SJ.
There was not a hint of heat transfer to the table. (except for only a 1-inch perimeter around the grill which only got warm to the touch)

BBQ.table.11_zps2x8bgtog.jpg

Is the bottom bowl easily removed ? A funel shapped form that can be hung and swiveled over the grill could work. Could also be easily removed when not needed.

That came out great George, Now I want to sit around the table and make a variety of different kabobs.

The bowl easily pulls out of the collar for dumping out ash. I'll use the table at least a couple more times before doing any further work on it.

I think I'll do some yakitori on it this weekend.

Here's another pic. The collar is welded to the table and the SJ can be pulled out.
BBQ.table.12_zpstmr6cmqt.jpg

Last edited:
I pulled out the SJS and decided to go with the SJG. I took a couple of pieces of sheet metal to permanently cover the vent holes. Using the coal basket it gets plenty of air for a hot grill temp.

BBQ.table.14_zpsu4bswlwm.jpg

I intend to get rid of the somewhat wobbly legs on this table and replace them with a four-leg, square table frame where I can place this tabletop onto. With the legs near the outer perimeter of the table it'll make it a lot more stable with no chance of a tip over, should someone lean their weight on the edge of the table.
Also, getting rid of the stock legs will give me plenty of room under the grill to mount a heat barrier of some kind.

I'm also going to decrease the diameter of the coal basket. I'm finding out that even with four people at the table the grill area is a bit too large for the type of grilling and style of eating we do. Plus, I'll be using less coals. If SJ's came like in 10-inch diameter, now that would be perfect for this type of table top grilling.

Ok, I'm thinking of doing something crazy here.
I'm thinking about casting an insulating layer (say, an inch thick) inside the SJS, turning the grill into a faux ceramic hibachi. I know what materials to use as I've worked with them when I built my back yard pizza oven several years ago.

Now that's taken it to the next level George, Just think you'll probably only need 12 briquettes to cook a meal lol

Back