Cast iron skillet recommendations

As with most things, choosing what cast iron cookware to buy depends on what you plan to do with it. For example, if you are unfortunate like me and have an electric glass top stove (no natural gas where I live), then you want something that is light weight with a flat bottom (no "heat-ring").

Vintage Griswold and Wagner pieces are typically more desirable for their smooth cooking surface and relatively light weight. However, these are not the best choices for use on a charcoal grill because they are susceptible to cracking and warping.

For the grill or gas stove, modern Lodge is a good but vintage Lodge is better. I see very nice "3 Notch" #8 skillets all the time at thrift stores and antique malls at reasonable prices (< $30). These have the smooth as glass cooking surface that distinguishes "the good stuff" and they are tough. BSR is also a great manufacturer to look for.

I have found that size matters on the grill, as in it's much easier to flip whatever I'm cooking (on the grill) in a larger skillet than a smaller one. I have a #10 Wagner that I use just on the grill. The size is right but it's already warped to the point that it spins & rocks on the stove top.

Flat-bottomed cast iron kettles make fantastic bean pots on the grill or in the smoker. Dutch ovens, griddles and various cast iron pots make great grilling accessories. Once you start looking for the stuff, it's amazing what you can find.

Here are some useful links:

Very nice Finex. Just got my Stargazer and it's so weird in color. after 3 coats of seasoning it's not even close to being black. not gonna let it cook eggs until 2 more coats. Will see if it gets darker. All my other cast iron stuff is newer cheap lodge. Can't find anything wrong with lodge stuff, just wanted something different and bigger and lighter for eggs.

4BHbF9pO-nnSXbULnlSuC3RZQ8G0_Rx4ymXd2zPESjiIRi6U3SNUw89yTdGAIAEovG5p_oGhT2wDS6WMpPabsmn_aM15iKyzXWmQPVb0Oa8bGGPa_hoE_OgTedkXn25tXno0pz1_VOCXjDBbP11laah9X-akRkxoYlBjNiLtasfdreeUIi56asI80xuSZiL1UQDI4VMDEF2vN3cR8_uDucv0wNG9jE-5RMybO4Sg-pFcVqL4pzxtWq3z9uwZm75yOyE8y9l-q02xsrxF8MD_tbQ7DTKALI7ew7MVuB9xceRWAQgSpXpuOaNdNIWLRNPzxxenBfQIJ5EqCaOiE4EClCkWJkxhvHo_0qTKL1_DxCzH7cncfB0Qe1Lj_G3LyPCwD2-sLn1-wb_ChSsWh7Flz178phx6J5sVVpB8CwsQ1WgglrNqYm9LJ-g-2HSBFycU8k33ryv9bx9evpaPurYhlZ_7Fhf2r6V8a050rLGcNTvwaq0WSUyE6Jn7ZE56N_Q6Brt4I5yCnwXnqDDThGwF6_R4xxioVvRE9fo82mlMUjkNp6NYNQ8JK3Q0cJwqaLnyuk39zAhOoz65C2zCGDCsSy44E02uB39HyrZy15cbrW49e5M1CHn7FxhytJKfIe64uremGOtCeQsueT8E5JwPbCEhYteBNbbp-ohQ=w2464-h1386-no

WIBjwxttnyfeopwOD-EwdEqyVN74iL_81fCFe7MuFytNBDGQyuflWeuyaNnSUDJI7P63JFEm_rnYSB1LJ7Nor6S977ZBZ74QZzIJ8Cqgj1h3_ZgKqf9oHERYPXit7ZOQPySlK-OFVgykFeITbuU3HAqXKSRPSgy3qnyuM7O9SOEaAyEWtonKcuhBJzU8RuLPHdKegaKWrfkicXyRj_IZD8Kf50zy-iR-YcfJkelXFUV_kVNmNnPV_WladvQ5-gOl7zseS2euXuTTYW3iY0PL9lwHP6LztVKhkThuAPJ5XAvS3apqkS0J86zbc7_pGrXXR6_xb90vbFrq7R8kaShh7EjLYU6FO-Lxtcx25YRjhD5Z41TZefxzqGMVPKiRwaCivsYRs-y_Kfyw8jcyvSFSc-FImHZjOkP-ZUDD9ENpYNjviH_vXUUzidHd159rDzpswiNE9TervwLRHqYL3P5X554xCnpJG-HgZwgGNXhVDy0ivwWeZl8d8Kc_dvW3n2SY45VUbCinNxaWtH7W6h95ipxMV39tlnhC0IcrelTQWreDwTAdm464EKsZgvUVC7H1mfC_GPIv6mR5wA71G1Akr7YMJpIML_xvZkfwSbRbqBz_0h8P-65ag16ZL-r9Iyx-F88fsiW5shs8L9ALGLUinq50c3lkXE1v4tHu=w2464-h1386-no

Last edited:
Those stargazers look awesome. It's just a little weird that something you think of as old fashioned like a cast iron skillet is named "Stargazer". I bet it darkens up over time, although that inner surface is really smooth!

Those stargazers look awesome. It's just a little weird that something you think of as old fashioned like a cast iron skillet is named "Stargazer". <snip>

I dunno, Dustin, I bet there's been a lot of stargazing done while cooking in cast iron over the last 2000 years :)

I remember watching the stars around a campfire with my friends at the lake, we were waiting for my DO chicken & potatoes to finish in my first dutch oven, trying to imitate meals I'd been served by family/family friends.

The more I think of it, the more fitting the name Stargazer becomes!

hobbi-dlya-muzhchin.jpg

352c72d33794064b215cdf9de83b5744--cast-iron-dutch-oven-cast-iron-cooking.jpg

6-The-Chuck-Wagon-Night-Moon-Campfire-by-Rahming.jpg

2015-1003-_DSC1789-CookingTroutDutchOven-f2_8,432x288.jpg

I dunno, Dustin, I bet there's been a lot of stargazing done while cooking in cast iron over the last 2000 years :)

I remember watching the stars around a campfire with my friends at the lake, we were waiting for my DO chicken & potatoes to finish in my first dutch oven, trying to imitate meals I'd been served by family/family friends.

The more I think of it, the more fitting the name Stargazer becomes!

You've sold me on it!

My daily CI is a Wagner skillet and a Wagner Dutch Oven from the 1950s. I find it is much smoother and lighter than the heavy and rough texture finish on the current Lodge products.

Kinda off subject but...... i’ve been a avid cast iron user for many many years. I’ve recently just discovered carbon steel pans and I have fallen in love all over again !!!!!!

Kinda off subject but...... i’ve been a avid cast iron user for many many years. I’ve recently just discovered carbon steel pans and I have fallen in love all over again !!!!!!
Ditto. I still love my cast iron but ive been loving the carbon steel lately!! Heats up quicker is lighter and really cooks the same. Ive been using the lodge 12 inch carbon steel pan the most.

Corey, I'm easily confused and you're not helping, lol. But on a serious note, someday I need to try some carbon steel. Over the past year I've added a couple enamel-coated CI items and I'm digging them since I seem to struggle with a good season and the cleanup is also much simpler.

I've got 4 cast iron skillets. 2 are modern lodge, one a 10.5 and one a 12 inch. I've got another "8" that collectors call a "hammered ugly" that was my grandmothers. I also have a vintage lodge 8. The vintage lodge and the hammered ugly both have smooth surfaces. My modern lodges are both over 10 years old and maybe I've smoothed them out just by using them, but in all honestly I can't tell the difference in the way they cook from the smooth ones. They all get very regular use. I've been tempted to buy one of new fancy expensive ones like Stargazer, Finex, Smithey, Field, Butterpat, etc. or nice vintage Griswold. My bet is it'll cook the same.

My favorite is probably that "hammered ugly" that was my grandmothers.

I love cast iron and want a carbon steel skillet, keeping my eyes open as some I have seen have really short sides for some reason. anybody have 1 with deep sides with a 12" bottom ?

All my cast iron is new production Lodge. I have the double dutch oven, 10" square pan, 12.5" deep skillet, 13.5" regular skillet, and a 17" dual handle skillet.

I used a purple 3M stripping wheel that is has grit imbedded in to it to smooth them all out. Then sandblasted them to give them a frosted matte finish.

I got the 17" to cook pancakes on. I though it would be nice to have a large target to flip them on, but the pancakes end up being bigger than your plate.

Hi Jeff, I'm so glad you read the article. I hope more men do. I'm glad I read it. We do have a real nice old CI and I was feeling guilty for not using it more. But now after reading that article, I'm glad we don't use it very much. I told DH after this V mess is over, I want him to start giving blood. He eats too much red meat.
Hate to admit it, but yes, I remember Teflon. lol

We have to pay exorbitant amounts of money for my wife to get iron infusions if she doesn't get enough. Me I'll take my chances.

I got mine at goodwill. I have a nice smaller Griswold and a large Wagner fry pan that have been re-seasoned and see regular use, particularly for making corn bread. All it takes to reseason is some oven cleaner and some bacon (not at the same time!).

Of course you have to be careful of whether you’re buying something that’s been used for melting lead or is of poor quality, but it’s easy to tell the good from the bad. Look for a cooking surface that is smooth as glass and metal that isn’t extremely thick. That’s an older, well-made and not abused cast iron peice. If in doubt, google it. Good old cast iron looks and feels much different from modern Lodge.

Last edited:

Back