Kettle fried chicken

A quick check on light mayo shows the main ingredient is water, then oil, so my theory and your results make sense.

Tried your method of a little moisture on the thigh. I did a rinse and a lite pat with a paper towel and put The LA seasoning in a bag and shook the thighs one at a time in that. Then a lite spray of canola oil.
Results….Perfect chicken, nice even coating and very crisp skin along with great flavor.

Marinated ours with buttermilk today, and it was pretty good.

Tried using mayo the other day, but wifey said it was too soggy.

Ever since I first saw this thread I've been wanting to do this. Tonight's the night. I have a bunch of chicken legs and thighs that I'm going to drop in some batter and use a box of Dixie Fry I found at the store today. I wish I had a vortex to use but since I don't I'm just going to try and direct like the original post.

My first attempt at this didn't go as well as I hoped it would. I did legs and thighs indirect at about 450. Everything tasted good and the chicken was juicy. But a lot of the batter fell off during the cook. And it wasn't as crispy as I hoped it would be. I didn't put any oil on the chicken during the cook and going back through this thread I believe I should have. I'll do it again and brush or spray a little oil next time to see if I can get the crispy fried outcome. Even though it was good it was more like baked chicken. I'm also thinking a vortex would be useful for this.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of that one, but even if I did it seems I seldom get finished shots and never get plated ones. I'm real good at taking pictures of some of the preparation and when it first goes on the grill, with the intent of getting the finished product pictures also. Then I get busy and the pictures get neglected.

Been a while since I have done these. Going to do today. Thinking of try with a grill mat or parchment. Do you think this would work?

I've only done them directly on the grate.
Grill mat should work, parchment would burn I would think on a grill over direct heat ( I only use it on the WSM or in the oven).

Tim

I knew as soon as I put chicken on I messed up. No where for juices to go. Oh well. Still tasted good. Last time stuck to grates so got this bright idea.

I just tried this using the Louisiana Chicken Fry, while it tasted great about 30% of the breading came off and it burned in some spots. What can I do to keep the breading on and prevent the burned spots?
1. Buttermilk dunk
2. Shake a couple of pieces at a time in a baggie. Then set on a wire rack.
3. Quick spray with PAM.
4. 45 minutes on a Kettle with a vortex.

Last edited:
When I use the LCF I follow the directions and it always works.
Mix 5 Tbsp of chicken fry batter mix in 1/2 cup cold water. Dip chicken in batter. 2. Roll chicken in remaining dry chicken fry batter mix until coated.
No help on the burning because I don't have a vortex.

Tim

When I use the LCF I follow the directions and it always works.
Mix 5 Tbsp of chicken fry batter mix in 1/2 cup cold water. Dip chicken in batter. 2. Roll chicken in remaining dry chicken fry batter mix until coated.
No help on the burning because I don't have a vortex.

Tim
A man, following directions??
What's this world coming to? :p

OK Tim, I will try your method. Since I had an IT of 200+ if I cut down on the cook time I imagine the slight burning will go away.

Thanks, Chuck

A man, following directions??
What's this world coming to? :p

There are times when the inner engineer in all of us needs to do some research!

I have the vortex set up from Saturday’s feast, I did drumsticks and the we’re gone in a flash!
I’ve not tried the KFC method yet but, I will!

- - - Updated - - -

Ladies, looks like there might be hope for the world after all!!! lol

Don’t hold your breath!

So, found this thread last week and had to give it a try. Went to three stores looking for the Louisiana Chicken Fry and finally found it at the local Walmart. Followed directions for dredging/breading on the package and oiled up the grates. After ~15min at 425-450F, lightly sprayed both sides of chicken with canola oil spray and flipped. Continued cooking for about 45min or until probed 180F.

Popeye's chicken used to to be my go-to for some spicy chicken... USED to be, haha

P905nOA.jpg

Looks great Brad!
I'd like to try it with the LCF, but know it would be way too spicy for Mrs Bob.
Andy's seasoning works well but has less of a batter fried look.

Looks great Brad!
I'd like to try it with the LCF, but know it would be way too spicy for Mrs Bob.
Andy's seasoning works well but has less of a batter fried look.

It's not that spicy Bob. I know M'lady hates hot, but she likes this.

Tim

Back