Grilled pork ribs...

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
I just saw a YouTube video of someone grilling pork ribs and am now curious. Do any of you grill your ribs, in a kettle or gas grill, over direct heat?

Depends on the ribs and what you're after from the finished product. But short answer is yes I do and have

You mind if I ask for more detail? For instance, what cooker do you use? Are you going spare or baby backs? How different is the finished product from smoking them? Is it the texture, flavor, both? Does it save time?

I guess what I'm after is why choose grilled ribs over smoked.

I've yet to do pork ribs but last week, for the fun of it, I did some beef short ribs on a Santa Maria attachment over my Kettle. Possibly unorthodox but I enjoyed them a great deal. If I were to use that method again today I would take them approx 5* higher but they were good.

I've done it before. I cook them indirect with a couple of wood chunks.

Here I used only the back burner. You can see the wood chunks I put on the flavor bars in the back to ad some of the smoke flavor. I let the temperature settle around 300.

You mind if I ask for more detail? For instance, what cooker do you use? Are you going spare or baby backs? How different is the finished product from smoking them? Is it the texture, flavor, both? Does it save time?

I guess what I'm after is why choose grilled ribs over smoked.

I typically do it with high grade baby backs. Just did it last night at my dad's house on his old Genesis 3000. Grilled them about 375 for about 40 minutes. Kiss off the bone tender. I have tried the same with spares but not successfully though oddly I saw a Food Network BBQ show with a gentleman from one of the Carolinas and he did spares hot and fast and they were very tender. Relatively large black guy, wears engineer coveralls and he's got a white beard. I don't recall his name but he's on the champion circuit.

I do BBs on my performer indirect high heat. A full chimney of KBB and apple for the smoke. Dome temp running right at 400. Bone side down 20 minuets flip and another 20 minuets. Took the ribs off and foiled them with apple juice and brown sugar. Back on the grill for 30 minuets. Out of the foil and back on the grill bone side down for 15 minuets the sauced them and left them on for another 15 minuets to set the sauce. About an hour and forty minuets total time.

It's the only way I do them now. Jim Lampe was the one who shared this method with us.

I've done St. Louis spares but I'm still experimenting with the timing.

Last edited:
When I do BB's in the WSM I use a lower pit temp and utilize the bend test as one of the determining factors for doneness. Can the bend test be used for a HH cook?

To be honest I've probably done these high heat BBs about 15 times now and at first I used the tooth pick test for doneness. Now I just follow the time lines and they've been perfect every time.
The next time I make them I'll try the bend test to see if it feels the same as low and slow does.

How many racks do you manage to cook at a time using this method? I'm considering trying while my in-laws are in town, but if it's only good for one rack at a time that won't be enough food.

I typically do it with high grade baby backs. Just did it last night at my dad's house on his old Genesis 3000. Grilled them about 375 for about 40 minutes. Kiss off the bone tender. I have tried the same with spares but not successfully though oddly I saw a Food Network BBQ show with a gentleman from one of the Carolinas and he did spares hot and fast and they were very tender. Relatively large black guy, wears engineer coveralls and he's got a white beard. I don't recall his name but he's on the champion circuit.

Sounds like Moe Cason. Really nice, pleasant individual. Down to earth.

That's the guy! Really seems like a great guy. Like just kick back in the yard with a cold one kinda person

Back