New for 2017: Weber Genesis II Gas Grills

You know that even current models are not really "made in USA". Only the major metal stampings are made here in the NW burbs of Chicago. Most everything else comes in packages marked made in China. So really about the best thing you can say is "packed in USA" :( and I doubt it will change for the better on the new models

Not sure I'm liking the lid - a little too squat and compressed for my taste. Definitely not doing a beer can turkey in there. :D

Question: Anyone know exactly how that iGrill integration works? It is currently pretty simple: probe wire runs from meat/grate to iGrill. Not sure it needs 'integration', but I may be missing something genius here.

Last edited:
When I put my sister's new Genesis together for them the only parts I saw made in USA were the stampings. So saying it's "made in USA" IMO is really stretching things. Though it is "packaged" here. I think the Spirit is at least a little more "honest"

LMichaels,
I put my mom and dad's together last year and I don't remember many non US parts in the box at all, and I notice these things. Are you saying that the firebox is not cast here? What about the manifold and valve assembly?

Also, it appears that you only get three tool hooks with the upgraded LX model. Three tool hooks is NOT ENOUGH! I hope they have more on the sides. Does anyone here think three is enough? Am I using too many tools?

As far as the lids appearing very low and squatty, that appears to be only in the marketing photos, the actual grills at the show look normal to me.

Greg, the valves and manifold are Chinese (at least it was marked as such on my sister's) I do not remember on the fire box but I'll lay odds it is from China. Basically every small part (including the grates) was marked from China. Frankly it disappointed me.
Now FWIW made in China does not automatically equate to junk. Witness so much of what we use every day. Heck even the American military relies on stuff made in China. It just frankly disappoints me that American companies are resorting more and more to simply importing Chinese product(s). While made in China does not automatically = junk it depends highly on the quality of material used to make it. Junk can originate here too if inferior materials are used.
I am a Weber fan but not of the new stuff I truly think Weber is trading on it's "reputation" more than on building actual quality into the product. :( I don't think the current crop of upcoming of Weber products will have the longevity of things like my 25 yo Genesis. Plus it's obvious with "stunts" like Weber pulled with my Summit where they abandoned the product UNDER THE WARRANTY and left a customer high and dry with no way to fix an obvious production issue other than to either A scrounge for or make the offending part or B put a $1500 (hard won $$$$$ I might add) on the scrap heap.
Now let's face facts Weber is not alone in this. Look at products from Onward company. (Broil King, BroilMate, Huntington, etc) their build quality is about the same as Weber, (though more of their product is made on this side of the world) I still don't expect a 25+ year performance out of them. However for a product level Weber would charge $1500 to $2000 for they only charge $500 to $800 for. If one of them has to go on the scrap heap at say 20 years I'd rather it was a $500 product than a $1500 product.
Just food for thought. Believe me I am not throwing "sour grapes" out here. Nothing would make me happier than to see Weber begin getting back to their former philosophy and go back to making SOLID (not fancy) product that a customer can buy and know they've made a solid investment for the long haul. From what I am seeing of Weber lately though I doubt it.

No the front of the fire box rusted out just above the burner tubes. The fact it only happened on 2 of the 4 holes and not at all on the rear panel tells me this was a product defect. Of course it leaves the control panel exposed to direct heat from the burner area. That it happened is not what upset me since I did have a couple minor issues come up on the Genesis I had bought about 12 years earlier. What royally pi$$ed me off is the flippant way Weber handled the issue. "Yes we know it was a defect, yes we know it's under warranty but sorry we cannot support the product anymore". Really?! This is how you treat a 2 time (well actually 4 time) retail customer?!
I know some will say "oh well it's a business decision" to that I say BULL$&IT! No excuse for this type of treatment. In my lifetime of grilling I have made 4 retail purchases from Weber. 2 Kettles and 2 gassers. They were not cheap. But I bought them because I felt I got a quality product. What I didn't expect was to be left high and dry.
I know some of the people on this group are Weber retailers. To them I'll say "I am not trying to kick the shovel out of your hands" I understand you NEED to make a living. My gripe is with Weber directly not with the people trying to make a living.
I truly hope with this new round of products Weber stops going for the "cheap". But, sadly when the company was taken over the handwriting was on the wall.

I know some will say "oh well it's a business decision" to that I say BULL$&IT! No excuse for this type of treatment.
Weber would have been better off just acknowledging that they no longer had parts to honor the warranty and sent you a brand new replacement grill. You'd be happier and they wouldn't have such a vocal critic on their hands. And I don't say "critic" to be critical of you, LMichaels. I think your criticism is right-on.

Thanks Chris. I would not even have expected that much. Heck even if they said "hey we can give a 50% or 75% off" or something like that. Heck I DID use the grill, so I would not expect something for nothing. Just SOMETHING more than too bad so sad that I got from them. But had that not even happened I would still be VERY critical of the very real and very bothersome decrease in quality of the product matched with very real pricing increases that don't equate with the lack of overall quality. While in the meantime other product is beginning to match or beat the build quality and undercut the pricing. Leaves me feeling pretty disappointed.

Hopefully the perceived decrease in quality isn't too drastic.....I have a two month old Genesis 330! Either way, it's a much nicer grill than the CharBroil it replaced. I got a good 7 years out of it, and it grilled pretty well. But when they go, they go. The new Genesis has been great so far.

I have a Natural Gas 54" Vieluxe. I bought it used for $600.00 on Craigslist. Sold my Summit S670 the next week. The Vieluxe is 100% 304SS. Last grill I plan to buy.

Actually the open cart may be an advantage.
I like several others rebuild old Weber gassers for a hobby.
I've seen several later model Genesis with enclosed cart that have suffered major structural damage to the floor & frame.
Thinking the enclosed cart may be a weak link.o

Actually the open cart may be an advantage.
I like several others rebuild old Weber gassers for a hobby.
I've seen several later model Genesis with enclosed cart that have suffered major structural damage to the floor & frame.
Thinking the enclosed cart may be a weak link.o

You're right especially if they sit on concrete as the concrete vents acidic acid fumes which corrodes the metal. An open frame doesn't trap any gasses. I have all my grills that are on concrete sitting on rubber backed mats and so far no problems at all.

Hello,

I’ve been earning „my stripes” on a Spirit and am planning to/desperately want to finally upgrade to a Genesis (3 burner plus extra burner on the side). So far it has been rather a question of price then choice ;o)) the Genny e-330 is costing in Germany (where I live) USD 1800. For that price I would like a Grill that will last and therefore I have been following this thread closely.

Would you mind summarizing the quality aspect though? Please correct me if I am wrong (which I am hoping that I am) but are "we" presuming/fairly certain that the 2017 Genesis II could be of a lesser quality then the e330?

A German retailer is telling all his costumers that this will be the case. He claims that the hinges on the lid are made to break as well as the entire lid (reading your comments though the problem could rather be the fire box). However, I don’t think that he has actually seen a 2017 model yet! Therefore I don’t know if I can/should trust him or if he just wants to empty his ware house.

Also, what I have been missing so far from the pictures is...what will happen with the Gourmet BBQ system? In the pictures posted from the grates we see a square searing grate but no holes for the GBS? Judging by the things currently available on the Weber official website/online store we in Germany have more products for the GBS (Korean BBQ, one for filled pancakes, a waffle maker, a dutch oven) could it be that it will only be available based on location? Or did the US already stop producing/selling these products in view of a new version of the GBS?

Questions over Questions but it all boils down to: if I want a sustainable Genesis...which one (current or 2017 model) should I buy?

Thank you very much in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited:
Questions over Questions but it all boils down to: if I want a sustainable Genesis...which one (current or 2017 model) should I buy?

Willkommen Jennifer!

As for the 2017 quality, I don't believe anyone can know for sure, but the trend has been toward lower quality steel/aluminum, etc. That said, I believe all of them will last a very long time if you are the type of owner that is careful and really watches for rust, etc. and treats it when it shows up.

On the current models, you really have to watch the lower area and "floor" of the cabinet for rust and make sure you don't put any wet items there. A used one I had picked up was rusted there, but I believe the owners let it sit in snow or on a wet lawn and there were some wet cedar planks store in there. Keep it dry! The other items that may go bad (after 5-7 years) are the flavorizer bars and grates, but those can be purchased in stainless for essentially lifetime use.

As for the gourmet system, that seems to be more of a UK/EU standard item, so you may not see it on US display models. Its not as popular here. I wouldn't read too much into these photos and would assume it will till be available in EU if its that popular.

My recommendation? If you can wait for a while, look for closeout discount prices on the current model and get a great deal. the new ones are going up pretty significantly i price and to get an enclosed cabinet is now > $1000 US, but as the models changeover you are likely going to find really great deals on the current ones.

Good luck!

Thank you so much Paul for taking the time to answer me and your comprehensible thoughts/helpful tips!

I think that it is a good idea to wait and see if the price for the current model drops...as my mother always say's "I love saving money while spending it" ;) even if the prices don't drop...it's not like I've lost anything.

The Genny should in anyway be "safe" with me as I would keep it/use it under a covered porch. Nevertheless I did make good note of it to be careful about what I store on the inside!

Thank you again and please keep your fingers crossed for me ;o)

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. I would not even have expected that much. Heck even if they said "hey we can give a 50% or 75% off" or something like that. Heck I DID use the grill, so I would not expect something for nothing. Just SOMETHING more than too bad so sad that I got from them. But had that not even happened I would still be VERY critical of the very real and very bothersome decrease in quality of the product matched with very real pricing increases that don't equate with the lack of overall quality. While in the meantime other product is beginning to match or beat the build quality and undercut the pricing. Leaves me feeling pretty disappointed.
You had a Summit 450, right? I have a 2002 Summit 450 and I keep checking the firebox and I have no signs of rust on the inside face near the control panel. Do you suppose it's the dry California climate that preserves both classic cars and classic grills? I've always been careful to keep the grill covered when not in use, and for many years when the grill sat out in the rain, I used to throw a waterproof tarp over the top...now it lives out of the rain under an upstairs patio overhang.

Did yours stay dry? Just trying to sleuth out any differences in hopes of keeping mine going for many more years. :)

Back