No. 5 Sauce

Odd or not, it works. I can't make enough of this stuff. I make it a quart at a time. I made a batch last weekend and it is almost gone...

At the moment, Slap-Yo-Daddy seems to be my favorite.

Seems like an odd recipe that allows one to fill in the blank.

It's supposed to compliment the rub you use on your meat. I've got a go-to coleslaw recipe that does the same thing: add X tsp of your fav rub (I use BRITU).

Odd or not, it works. I can't make enough of this stuff. I make it a quart at a time. I made a batch last weekend and it is almost gone...

How many batches does it take to make a quart? I have to keep tabs on sugar content, and from what I can gather, the recipe has at least 110 grams of sugar per batch without possible sugar content from one's chosen rub.

Today, I drove by ALDI. I needed some ketchup. So the Aldi brand is called Burman's. No corn syrup.
After making a batch of Butt rub for Jane, I made a batch of No. 5. The Burman's is good ketchup.

Love the stuff, Barbs making a smoked meatloaf tonight and she will be using the #5 sauce in it. I put a TBS of Penzeys BBQ 3000 in it.

Thanks again Steve for this great recipe.
I'm making a batch for some pulled chicken thighs, to be smoke cooked later today.
I used Harry's original SYD rub recipe for the rub.

I just made a batch for the first time. Wow, that's good. I used Hunts 100% Natural Ketchup. It has no corn syrup.

I just made my first batch a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a little heavy on the vinegar side, but by the time I used the last of it I was a believer.

I just made my first batch a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a little heavy on the vinegar side, but by the time I used the last of it I was a believer.

I add a little raw cane sugar, along with the amount of brown sugar called for, to tame the vinegar down a bit.

I was going to start a post for a review of #5...then I saw this one so I'll just add my comments here.

As a foreword, I have to inform you that I am originally from NJ...but I did do 3 tours at Ft, Bragg, NC during my 37 combined years of Active Army and Civil Service.

That said...I DO NOT like a lot of vinegar...(wine on the other hand...). So, knowing that some amount of vinegar is beneficial to the taste buds I made a batch of #5 the other day and it's all gone.

The only changes I made (not liking vinegar) was reducing the vinegar by half...1/4 Cup, and not adding meat drippings. (The PP was from a previous session). I'll have to do another session (or two) before the snow flies to make it through the winter. ;)

OK, MY REVIEW: FANTASTIC FLAVOR! It surprised the hell out of me. It checked off all the flavor boxes. We will be making this again. Thanks, Steve.

Another batch of No.5 Sauce today. I am so please so many have embraced sauce making since I stumbled on this simple formula.
Questions about your additions...Have you tried:

Dried or frozen cherries or maybe pineapple (perhaps added to vinegar and processed in a blender before adding to sauce) ?

Butt Rub for Jane has been a guide for me...has anyone tried any of the many curries for a rub base used in No.5 ?

Old vintage honey-the deep dark stuff ?

Share whats been your most recent favorite.

Last edited:
Another batch of No.5 Sauce today. I am so please so many have embraced sauce making since I stumbled on this simple formula.
Questions about your additions...Have you tried:

Dried or frozen cherries or maybe pineapple (perhaps added to vinegar and processed in a blender before adding to sauce) ?

Butt Rub for Jane has been a guide for me...has anyone tried any of the many curries for a rub base used in No.5 ?

Old vintage honey-the deep dark stuff ?

Share whats been your most recent favorite.

I guess I need to be more adventurous with it. I've pretty much stuck to the basics with whatever rub I'm using. Good stuff!

Hibiscus.
Yep the last addition I tried is hibiscus. As in hibiscus tea leaves. The deep crimson color and berry flavor works quite well.
The technique is to grind leaves in a blade coffee bean grinder. My batch had 1/4 cup of leaves added.

This is still my family's favorite sauce. In fact, we went to Mission BBQ for dinner last night. Kids tried all their sauces and found one they both liked. But they both said it was good, but not anywhere near as good as "Dad's" sauce. I've taken to adding an ounce or two of bourbon and a little honey.

Nothing is as good as 'Dad's' sauce! So glad your family enjoys it.
Bourbon sounds good-I have not tried it.
I am willing to bet that Honey in my Hibiscus version would work well. It's good in my Hibiscus tea.

Steve, I'm not sure if I should shake your hand or kick you in the shins....

I made this yesterday when I smoked for a gang. I'm gonna be making it (or a variation) on a pretty regular basis. Only change yesterday from the original post was adding about a quarter cup of au jus left over from the prime rib I assassinated in the smoker last weekend. Yes, it was very well received.

img_1370.med.jpg

Last edited:

Back