Instant Pot, What a Machine

A decent pressure cooker has been on my wishlist for a while, and was going to go on my birthday/Christmas (they're only three weeks apart) list this year. It seems like an Instant Pot would be a better way to go, assuming I'll always be using it where I have electricity?

So I made my first cheesecake ever. I did it in the instant pot and it turned out great. Here it is before we put the cherry topping on it.

ChesCk_zpsi2uqtwfm.jpg

This guy can be pretty corny at times, and I did not watch the video, but thought some of you might be interested in his Instant Pot review.

http://www.gardenfork.tv/pressurecooker/

Good vid Bob. Found this (oldish) thread what with cyber sales on today. I found the IP Ultra on sale for $120CDN today is why I was looking. Wifey isn't too keen on ANOTHER gizmo for the kitchen though. Says her mother had a (regular) pressure cooker and she can only remember her using it maybe once a year if that.

Still considering ;)

edit--->ah, whatta heck. Christmas is coming and the price is too good to pass up ;) Wifey is getting me an IP ;)

Last edited:
Woo hoo! I think you'll enjoy it, Len.

R

What's the first thing you'll cook? Mine was delivered today, seems to be high quality construction & good materials.

I ordered an insta pot cookbook on kindle for $2.99 or so just after I ordered the IP. I saw an Italian Wedding Soup recipe in it & thought "that doesn't need a PC", so I combined it with an Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana clone (used cannelli beans instead of potatoes) & made a small pot of that.

I kind of got into Pho ~3 years ago, I got some big pho bowls, spoons, and then some friends hooked me up with a huge assortment of noodles & teas & ????? Pho seems really satisfying & filling for what it is, there must be more to it nutrition-wise 'cause a big bowl of that will last all day. ((((my attempts at pho have been minimal)))). Anyway, my brother linked me these, & I can see where the PC might extract more marrow & kick out a more hearty broth.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/30-minute-pressure-cooker-pho-ga-recipe.html

check this recipe with your phone if it tries to make you register - this is a beef pho recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017521-pressure-cooker-beef-pho

I was also thinking maybe CSRs would turn out well in this thing. The recipes I've seen have them finished under the broiler or on the grill. Been a long time since I've had FOTB ribs/pork, and I don't think I'd mind having FOTB ribs/CSRs over a bed of rice........I could "suffer" through it once I'm sure.

Just starting to look for recipes online. Enough so far I won't be paying for anything (yet). More than likely, first recipe will be a stew, maybe beef bourguignon for Lorraine. She gave me a look (you know the kind I'm talking about ;) ) when I told her what she bought for me so I figger I better get on her good side tout suite.

Tks for the links. Saved 'em.

Believe it or not, it makes an incredible cheesecake. I would post the link but the recipe I use is out of a book. There are plenty of them online though. Enjoy your new toy Len.

I've done a couple of chuck roasts in it. Here's how dumb I am. On the pressure release valve there a little Icon for pressure and release. Instead of point the knob at the icon, I pointed it at the word, so the whole time the roast was cooking it was just releasing all the steam and I wound up with no liquid and the roast burned on the bottom. My thought after doing that? "I guess I need to use more liquid" and did the same thing to the next thing I cooked. I finally figured it out around the third time I used it.

Back