Smash Burger Utensil

I just use a Buttula spatula.

It's massive and gets the job done with ease.

Only thing that's better than a smashburger.......

Is 2 smashburgers !!!!!

I use Vidalia & jalapeños in my burgers which pretty much turns them into loose patties that turn into smash burgers no matter what.

Last edited:
Soapstone?

We used flat bars of the stuff to mark burn lines on steel plate.

Never knew one could cook on it.

I know this is late to the party, but a few years ago there was one of those tv cooking contest, which do to CRS I can't remember, but it was on cooking channel, and was one of those multiple episode elimination, judged contests.. This guy from Brooklyn was a contestant, and had just lost his restaurant to superstorm Sandy and was running a food truck. All this guy made were smashburgers. Ended up just narrowly missing first place, against all these gourmet chefs, and judged by the food channel big shot chefs,
.So much for a fad, lol.

Smashburgers sticking to my spatula. I know I'm late to the smashburger party but gave it a go for the first time last night. I'm using a Lamson Wide Hamburger Turner, which did a great job of smashing...but they did stick to the turner. I tried spraying with canola oil but they still stuck. Any tips or secrets I should know about?

TIA

David

Yep one of the reasons I enjoy Steak n Shake and Culver's so much. Only 2 companies I know of that make them like this AND they use "real" high quality beef not pink slime

Chris,

I used a Canola oil in pressurized can. is Pam a better choice? They came out okay,were very tasty. But was painful to have to pry them off the spatula after the first smash every time.

David, I beleive you are supposed to smash and hold the burger down for 30 seconds or so before lifting the spatula. The griddle should be good and hot as well. That not only helps to create the crust, but flash cooks the meat which should make it release much easier from the spatula. Are you using a flat, non-perforated spatula?

I used a Canola oil in pressurized can. is Pam a better choice?
Pam uses three kinds of oil plus lecithan from soybeans as a non-stick agent, and it seems to work better than generic brands. I would spray it on the bottom of the spatula before doing the smash.

I used a Canola oil in pressurized can. is Pam a better choice?
Pam uses three kinds of oil plus lecithan from soybeans as a non-stick agent, and it seems to work better than generic brands. I would spray it on the bottom of the spatula before doing the smash.

I get the slightest bit of sticking when I smash as shown here, but I never have to spray and I don't press down for 30 seconds as Bruce mentions.

Also, make sure your "balls" are nice and cold, too, so the fat won't be as sticky. :D

A very slight spray of water will accomplish the “free slip” too. Much like wetting your hands when making meatballs.
I was going to kill off some pulled pork for dinner, now I want a burger! Darnit!

Smashburgers sticking to my spatula. I know I'm late to the smashburger party but gave it a go for the first time last night. I'm using a Lamson Wide Hamburger Turner, which did a great job of smashing...but they did stick to the turner. I tried spraying with canola oil but they still stuck. Any tips or secrets I should know about?

TIA

David

Check out the video in this first post, seems he moves it while smashing.
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?73185-How-do-i-do-this-technique-when-smashing-my-burgers

HTH

Tim

Back