Temperature Issues - Help!

Mike Carr

I've had my 22.5 for several years now. Lately, I've had a problem keeping the temperature under 260-270. I used to be able to maintain a constant 220-240 using the Minion method and briquettes. How can I get the temperature to stay lower and longer?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I've had my 22.5 for several years now. Lately, I've had a problem keeping the temperature under 260-270. I used to be able to maintain a constant 220-240 using the Minion method and briquettes. How can I get the temperature to stay lower and longer?

First, I'd check to ensure that your thermometer is accurate. Are you getting those high temp readings from the dome thermometer? I've had my 22.5 for several years also, and that's the issue that I've run into.

Mine likes to run a little hotter sometimes. My only advice is catch it on the way up. I usually keep all vents open until I hit about 200 and then I cut the rear 2 vents and slowly shut the front vent until its about at 1/4 open to get a 225 or so temp. You can shut the bottom vents all the way and you'll usually be getting some air if yours is anything like mine. If you are REALLY fighting high temps you can partially shut the top vent. I would never shut it more than half.

Welcome to the forum, Mike!

I haven't seen that issue on my 18.5" WSM yet, but my 14.5" model tends to run a bit higher. Actually, I like mine running at 250 to 275 because it shaves some times off the clock, but I'm still learning the finer points of smoking.

If you did it before with no problems then something has changed.
Different fuel, another location that places it in full sun, or maybe it got flipped over and became out of round?
Just guessing.:)
On edit: I like 275, it's what my WSM's cruise at with an empty foiled pan.

Tim

Last edited:
If you did it before with no problems then something has changed.
Different fuel, another location that places it in full sun, or maybe it got flipped over and became out of round?
Just guessing.:)
On edit: I like 275, it's what my WSM's cruise at with an empty foiled pan.

Tim

I've started cooking closer to 275 myself, but I still do 225 for some things.

I also have high temp issues. Rather than "hijack" this thread, I'm starting one in the same forum..."18.5 Runaway Temps".

Back