How I made my SJG hot

My first post on this board, and I wanted to use it to say thank for this great tip. I have a Gold and I too had been disappointed by the lack of heat and/or the short life of the coals during "normal use", even with all vents open. I had bought a Silver to "downgrade" because of its bottom vent, then I saw this thread and tried it. Works exactly as described.

Just one question, and I hope it doesn't sound stupid: Where does the meat go when using this configuration? I usually put it over the coals to start with, and then maybe move it away from the coals to cook slower after it has seared.
However last night I had a thick steak (more than 1 inch), and I basically left it over the coals for about an hour until it was almost well-done (which is more than I like).

Thanks,
-Raj

My first post on this board, and I wanted to use it to say thank for this great tip. I have a Gold and I too had been disappointed by the lack of heat and/or the short life of the coals during "normal use", even with all vents open. I had bought a Silver to "downgrade" because of its bottom vent, then I saw this thread and tried it. Works exactly as described.

Just one question, and I hope it doesn't sound stupid: Where does the meat go when using this configuration? I usually put it over the coals to start with, and then maybe move it away from the coals to cook slower after it has seared.
Thanks,
-Raj

Raj, glad you liked the tip. The coals only over cover 1/3 to 1/2 the coal grill so you have a direct heat side and an indirect side. I do like you and use the direct heat to sear for 2 - 3 minutes / side and then move to the indirect side to finish to desired"doneness". (not usually an hour however :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Love the simplicity. Its basically the same idea indirect cooking on a kettle. Using foil to cover the unused part of the charcoal grate so that the air goes to and through the coals rather than have hot and cold air mixing and thus cooking with wacky temps.

I was deciding between a SJS and the SJP. I liked the SJP due to the portability but was going to go with the SJS due to the temp problem. This thread convinced me to go with the SJP, and I will be putting it to the test this weekend.

Love it!!! but just minutes too late. I literaly just ordered a Go Anywhere from amazon 10 minutes ago because I have not been impressed at all with the performance of my SJP. Oh well, now I own a Go Anywhere to.

Love it!!! but just minutes too late. I literaly just ordered a Go Anywhere from amazon 10 minutes ago because I have not been impressed at all with the performance of my SJP. Oh well, now I own a Go Anywhere to.

You will like the GA. I have the Gold too, able to get both red hot wthout a fuss. The GA travels better so the Gold is a mini for now.

Great thread! Just wanted to bump it up. I have a NIB SJG that I bought in 2010. This thread has my curiosity. I may have to put it to good use.

Great thread! Just wanted to bump it up. I have a NIB SJG that I bought in 2010. This thread has my curiosity. I may have to put it to good use.

Colin, thanks for the bump... I hope this method helps you out.. I have both the SJS, and the SJG (P) and with this method use the SJG for most of my cooking. SJS has been relegated to mini-smoker use.

One change since I originally wrote this is I now use an aluminum pie plate and get much longer life out of the baffle.

Enjoy.. Alan.

Hi from Beijing.
First post and just have to say this forum is a godsend. I bought one of these second hand for $25. Looked like new. The previous owner just couldn't get it hot and was really frustrated with it. Using Alan's method I managed to roast a chicken on the weekend, brilliant.
I've still a lot to learn with regards to using this kettle and look forward to getting a lot of answers to my dumb questions through this forum.

Back