QuliMetal Grates

Just got a set of Hongso grates, exactly 7mm, and fit to about 1/16th", much better then the Weber SS I had that fell in the fire box till I added some spacers to take up the room. magnet shows zero attraction. For $50 I'm happy with them. Ends of the Front to back bars are rounded, the lower left to right are not, which doesn't matter to me.

lLcNxMp.jpg
[/IMG]

oMoTpbo.jpg
[/IMG]

Yep, my last batch of the Honsgo were really good fit and size. I have three more sets due to arrive tomorrow. Truth be told, if I had to buy a new set for myself today, I would grab a set of the Honsgo for less than half of what the RCP grates cost with shipping. But, if you simply want the best, you have to go RCP. But personally, I would buy the Honsgo and buy $70 worth of meat to cook on them.

I just received my set of Hongso grates. First impression is they look very nice even if not as well finished as Qlimetal. If time will allow, I am getting stuff together to do a

stainless grate showdown.

I have:
Hongso
Qlimetal
Uniflasys (seems to be the same as the newer Hisencn)
Weber Summit (used - 3rd generation)
unidentified but I was pretty sure OEM Weber Genesis (used)
Weber 300 series Genesis with the GBS circle
An old set of Broilmaster
An old set of Lynx
Just missing rcplanebuyer, but by now we know his are the best.

I will evaluate by appearance, details like rounded edges, measurements and magnet test.

One thing I will say is that at the beginning of this post it was stated that Qlimetal grates that were supposed to be 304 were magnetic. I have bought flavorizer bars from Qlimetal that showed no magnetic attraction. The grates I have from them have a very slight attraction, as do most of the others except Broilmaster and Lynx. The unidentified (OEM Weber?) - but very nice looking - set I have shows a STRONG magnetic attraction. I don't claim to know much about stainless steel or metals. My hunch is that high grade 304 stainless (like on my Broilmaster) is not at all magnetic but commonly used 430 stainless is very magnetic. So, these grates that show just a slight level of magnetism can't be written off as 430 but perhaps are not pure, high-grade 304 stainless. Since they all originate overseas, perhaps that is not too surprising.

I would be interested in what others have noted. I do have to say that I have had excellent service out of Genesis grates that show a mild level of magnetism. The Summit grates I have are about all that is left from two rust-bucket Summit grills I gave up on. While the grills rusted out terribly, these grates are still very restorable and mainly just faded and dirty. So, my feeling at this point is just because a grate is mildly magnetic doesn't mean it is junk or low quality. But, in comparison to rcplanebuyer/Dave Santana or Broilmaster, Lynx and a number of others, they probably aren't quite as good, either.

Hi. I originally started the thread and agree the Qulimetal FB’s are not magnetic at all. My grates were very weakly magnetic. I have Dave rcplanebuyer 17.5” and the centers of the grates have no magnetism at all the outer edge has the slightest pull that is virtually none. I did read a scientific paper that says 304 SS is only truly non magnetic right after processing. Then they acquire the slight magnetism during welding etc. the article said some process would have to b done to completely demagnetize them again. At least this is what I got out of the article. George

George,

Thanks for informative post. It would seem to me that magnetism in and of itself isn't a cause of rust. The lack (or apparently very small amount) of it only helps distinguish good stainless from the cheap box store stuff you see that turns into Swiss cheese in a year or two. I know that stuff will grab a magnet with a smack!

Jon: I imagine the little magnetism is from the WELD that is used to bind the rods.

Jon I wish you had a set of Bbqparts stainless rod grates to test along with the others. In my subjective unprofessional opinion they are very very close to Rcplanebuyer grates in overall quality.

I just received my set of Hongso grates. First impression is they look very nice even if not as well finished as Qlimetal. If time will allow, I am getting stuff together to do a

stainless grate showdown.

I have:
Hongso
Qlimetal
Uniflasys (seems to be the same as the newer Hisencn)
Weber Summit (used - 3rd generation)
unidentified but I was pretty sure OEM Weber Genesis (used)
Weber 300 series Genesis with the GBS circle
An old set of Broilmaster
An old set of Lynx
Just missing rcplanebuyer, but by now we know his are the best.

I will evaluate by appearance, details like rounded edges, measurements and magnet test.

One thing I will say is that at the beginning of this post it was stated that Qlimetal grates that were supposed to be 304 were magnetic. I have bought flavorizer bars from Qlimetal that showed no magnetic attraction. The grates I have from them have a very slight attraction, as do most of the others except Broilmaster and Lynx. The unidentified (OEM Weber?) - but very nice looking - set I have shows a STRONG magnetic attraction. I don't claim to know much about stainless steel or metals. My hunch is that high grade 304 stainless (like on my Broilmaster) is not at all magnetic but commonly used 430 stainless is very magnetic. So, these grates that show just a slight level of magnetism can't be written off as 430 but perhaps are not pure, high-grade 304 stainless. Since they all originate overseas, perhaps that is not too surprising.

I would be interested in what others have noted. I do have to say that I have had excellent service out of Genesis grates that show a mild level of magnetism. The Summit grates I have are about all that is left from two rust-bucket Summit grills I gave up on. While the grills rusted out terribly, these grates are still very restorable and mainly just faded and dirty. So, my feeling at this point is just because a grate is mildly magnetic doesn't mean it is junk or low quality. But, in comparison to rcplanebuyer/Dave Santana or Broilmaster, Lynx and a number of others, they probably aren't quite as good, either.

Hey Jon, what about price? I think that should be put into play to IMO.

Jon I wish you had a set of Bbqparts stainless rod grates to test along with the others. In my subjective unprofessional opinion they are very very close to Rcplanebuyer grates in overall quality.

I agree, the ones from BBQparts.com are rock solid grates as well, just a notch below RC's. If there was no ebay coupon around to use I would have gone for the ones from BBQparts.com.

Good point guys. I have been wanting to check out those BBQParts.com grates, too. I don't have an unlimited budget for all this, but I am going to see what I can do.

OK, so I ordered a set of BBQParts.com Genesis grates. The write-up sounds very convincing; I just hope I can convince my wife!

Just recieved a set of Hiscen grates, Flavo bars and burners. The grates, I am sure are the exact same as the old uniflasy. Just a different name. They are too widely spaced and they are significantly shorter than other grates which makes them able to move around very easily and "almost fall off the ledges. Also, somewhat magnetic. They are inexpensive, but IMO, not even a good alternative for a flip grill. IMO they would detract too much from a well done rehab. Better to pay the extra $20 for a quality set of Honsgo. I got three sets of them and they fit SNUG and have significantly better spacing. Non-magnetic as well.

The Hiscen flavo bars are not magnetic at all but are only 20 gauge, 18 gauge at best. Probably OK for a flip grill, but I think a set of 16 gauge bars would not be too much more expensive.

The burner tubes were fairly magnet and didn't seem as solid as others, but fit well and seemed to perform well with very limited testing.

All in all, I would stay away from the HISCEN products unless you just want to keep prices down and move a grill quick.

Greg,
I am probably a nut case, but I am looking forward to doing a serious and fair review of all these so that we can all benefit from a side by side comparison. Although my wife will probably get a little angry, I am especially looking forward to seeing these Made in USA grates. They sound very compelling.

So, everyone:

What aspects do you all want to see included in my review?
Price, including shipping
Weight
Fit and finish
Exact size and how they fit in an actual Genesis 1000 firebox
Magnetic response

ANY OTHERS??

Yah, all the above and at the end, I want to see your thoughts on which situations you think each set would be best for while keeping in mind the quality/cost aspect in those opinions.

Jon I like all the parameters you listed. But I would add one more: the gap between the grates.

Yes, the measurements need to include:

Length and Width of grate (and I will also show each of the Genesis ones resting in my Genesis Skyline - a 1000 based firebox - to test for "moving around" and possibly even falling in:confused:

Caliper on the width of each bar

AND caliper or tape measure of the space between each bar

Keep those ideas coming along! I have to have a defense here at home for blowing more money on yet another fruitball project:rolleyes::eek:...

Just receiv d 2nd set of Qulimetal FB’s for Some over B. Not magnetic at all, the same as set I got for E330 we’re not magnetic

Back