Saw this Genesis at Costco today

Honestly I'd just leave it as is as I don't think it'll be noticeable once you put the grates on and after a couple of cooks the box will turn black and you probably won't see it.

This must be something else than rust. Some kind discoloration. The cook box is made of cast aluminum and cannot rust.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if there was some kind of manufacturing problem if Weber has the boxes on backorder. Can aluminum get contaminated with something during manufacturing that could cause rust?

Does anyone know if the LP to NG conversion is easy to do and if Weber make a kit for it? Thanks!

I believe Weber does not make a conversion kit anymore due to liability issues. LP to NG conversion is doable I think as long as you know what you're doing, best to research it first before actually doing it and post your question(s) on the gas grill forum of this site as there are experts that can help and guide you...good luck!

So my amazing wife purchased this grill from Costco for my Father's Day present (yes, I'm a ridiculously lucky guy given I spent all of last weekend at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal). Only issue is she got the LP version that was available at Costco while we have a NG hook up from the street on our deck, which I personally love for the convenience etc.

Would really appreciate any feedback from members if (a) the extras in this grill package from Costco (S-345) make it worth considering to keep and (b) what the current concensus is for LP Vs NG (BTU's etc.)

The S-345 looks like a very nice grill and a great bargain with all the iGrill accessories and cover etc. If it is truly a steal of a deal then I'd be willing to put up with cannisters for a few years before I might try converting the nozzles to NG. I've done this procedure before on an old Lowes Perfect Flame three burner with rotisserie and it worked well just drilling out the jets. Weber don't make any conversion kits anymore for liability reasons. Thanks!

Congrats on the grill! I like the Costco one because of the Costco warranty, the lighted knobs, and price. Just remember when you do convert it to NG you void the 10 year warranty from Weber, not sure of the Costco warranty though as I think they wouldn't know what you did (but you'd have to return the grill for a refund and am not sure if they will have that same one later down the road as a replacement). Not to be repetitive but converting from LP to NG is doable, you just have to know what you're doing and just drilling the jets may not be the best solution. Ask your question(s) in the gas grill part of this forum before doing the conversion as there are people willing to help and guide you. Here's a thread where a member tried to do the same thing and it didn't come out as planned...

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?77595-Conversion-from-propane-to-natural-gas

So my amazing wife purchased this grill from Costco for my Father's Day present (yes, I'm a ridiculously lucky guy given I spent all of last weekend at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal). Only issue is she got the LP version that was available at Costco while we have a NG hook up from the street on our deck, which I personally love for the convenience etc.

Would really appreciate any feedback from members if (a) the extras in this grill package from Costco (S-345) make it worth considering to keep and (b) what the current concensus is for LP Vs NG (BTU's etc.)

The S-345 looks like a very nice grill and a great bargain with all the iGrill accessories and cover etc. If it is truly a steal of a deal then I'd be willing to put up with cannisters for a few years before I might try converting the nozzles to NG. I've done this procedure before on an old Lowes Perfect Flame three burner with rotisserie and it worked well just drilling out the jets. Weber don't make any conversion kits anymore for liability reasons. Thanks!

Your also getting the SS 7mm grates which is an upgrade on other 300 models. I bought the 345 over Memorial Day and have used it a handful of times already and really like it. The lifetime Costco return policy makes it worth the purchase alone in my opinion.

I would return it unless you do not use your grill very often. I don’t usually go through more than two propane tanks a year so getting a NG hook up just isn’t worth it for me. You already have the NG hook up so I’d definitely want to use it. The only question I’d have is if you could convert it cost effectively. If the conversation plus what you already have into it are cheaper than what you can get a NG version for then it would be worth doing the work to convert it. I think that would be unlikely. It would be easier and probably cheaper to get a NG version and get upgraded grates, or whatever, to match the one from Costco.

So after getting back from my business trip, I didn't hear anything about the backorder of my cookbox. I called Weber and they just got them in stock, and will be sending a new one in 7-10 days. Ugh. So I decided to build the one I had and see how things fared.

https://imgur.com/bS5h3YX

I couldn't even see the discoloration / rust whatever it is after I put in the grates, so I'll deal with it until I get the new cookbox.

However, I noticed a few flaws, including some odd mark on the lid of the sideburner, and a crooked GS4 logo. Maybe I'm being too nitpicky, but these things bother me - especially for a $1000 grill.

https://imgur.com/knydZDV

https://imgur.com/OARaTwH

Also I'd say the included cover isn't the same thickness of other Weber covers like I have for my Performer.

That being said, when I fired it up for the first time, the middle burner wouldn't fire. I did use a match to get it going, so maybe it just needed a little help. Food turned out great for first cook.

https://imgur.com/pXPFQJ4

I'll see how the middle burner works tomorrow, and see if I can clean off that mark with a little soap and water. I'm sure Weber won't want to send me a new front panel because the logo is a little crooked.

Hey Billy, since you got it from Costco maybe exchange it for another one? Not sure if it'd be a nuisance at this point but it is another option.

True, but then I'd have to completely dissemble it, and the boxes are already in the trash. :/

If you had to disassemble for transporting it back to Costco I understand but if you have a truck, I would return it assembled. I saw two at the South Hill Puyallup Costco a couple days ago if you don't have any local.

Me personally, the issues your having would bug me and I would return it.

No truck, and that's okay. Weber is basically replacing all the parts with issues, outside of the mantle with the slightly crooked GS4 logo. And yeah, I know that one is silly, but after seeing it I can't stop seeing it. Oh well.

That being said, I'm generally impressed with their customer service. The majority of the people I spoke with were awesome and super helpful. Makes me feel good about my purchase.

I've done three cooks on this grill so far, and while it's going to take me some time to adjust from going from charcoal to gas, this thing gets super hot but has variable temps., the lighted dials will be great in the winter, and the stainless steel is easy to clean. Also be warned to future owners - my understanding is that the SS does scratch SUPER EASY. (this was noted by one of the Weber reps.)

Even though I had issues, due to Weber's customer support being pretty great, I'd still recommend.

Heat the logo up with a heat gun/hair dryer until the glue starts to release rotate the sticker and let cool.

No truck, and that's okay. Weber is basically replacing all the parts with issues, outside of the mantle with the slightly crooked GS4 logo. And yeah, I know that one is silly, but after seeing it I can't stop seeing it. Oh well.

That being said, I'm generally impressed with their customer service. The majority of the people I spoke with were awesome and super helpful. Makes me feel good about my purchase.

I've done three cooks on this grill so far, and while it's going to take me some time to adjust from going from charcoal to gas, this thing gets super hot but has variable temps., the lighted dials will be great in the winter, and the stainless steel is easy to clean. Also be warned to future owners - my understanding is that the SS does scratch SUPER EASY. (this was noted by one of the Weber reps.)

Even though I had issues, due to Weber's customer support being pretty great, I'd still recommend.

I have experienced the same thing going from a Weber briquette kettle to the LP. It get's HOT and I have burned some food. That being said, the convenience of firing up the grill and ease of clean up has made it well worth the money. I'm starting to get the hang of it and really really like it.

Done a few more cooks and I am really enjoying the grill so far. Sear station is great, and did a number on some pork chops over the weekend. I also got all the replacement parts and will be putting everything together this weekend.

Just picked this up from my local Costco for $899.99. Looks like they're trying to get rid of remaining stock.

Thursday, they still had 6 on the floor at our Costco in Summerlin. I didn't catch the price on them since I was just grabbing a roasted chicken.

Last edited:

Back