Can a warped firebox be straightened out?

Just an FYI FWIW, but while doing some research/reading on bending cast aluminum, quite a few folks who seemed knowledgeable said to refrain from using any heat. That heating could actually make it more brittle. Again, FWIW as I have no idea.

If you think about everything we collectively know about working with metal you'll see how ridiculous that is. If it were true the fire box would not "warp" from excess heat it would "shatter"

The lower box of Weber gassers has a lifetime guarantee. The one on my 2002 Genesis cracked and Weber replaced it. Just register your grill with them, even if you have had it for years.

They don't make or carry it anymore. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on either. It's only at their discretion if they even want to support the product. That's how they get out of replacing items. My Summit 450 fire box was under warranty as well, but when I tried to get it replaced all I got was too bad so sad. Maybe you should bu one of our new grills. Yeah right. Never again

Wow! They replaced mine when it was over 10 years old! I've always had great response from Weber. Maybe things are changing?

They don't make or carry it anymore. Their warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on either. It's only at their discretion if they even want to support the product. That's how they get out of replacing items. My Summit 450 fire box was under warranty as well, but when I tried to get it replaced all I got was too bad so sad. Maybe you should bu one of our new grills. Yeah right. Never again

I could give it a try if I can still register it if it has not been registered before and if the SN is still readable.

If you think about everything we collectively know about working with metal you'll see how ridiculous that is. If it were true the fire box would not "warp" from excess heat it would "shatter"

I'm not a metallurgist Larry, but I could see some difference between repeated heating and cooling over time, versus applying direct heat and then more heat when one decided it wasn't hot enough, then "just a little hotter to get it to bend", ending up with a "Hey, I see the guys on Forging Fire get metal red hot and make it move, so let's try it".

Just trying to prevent an inadvertent disaster :)

Yah, I have registered several of my grills that I have picked up. I don't think very many original owners ever bother to register their grills. I have yet to be denied and as long as it wasn't registered before, you will be able to.

I don't register my rehab grills to make a warranty claim and I always put the purchase date as the actual date I acquired it and I list the vender as "second party". When talking to CS at Weber about parts, they usually require the grill be registered before they will discuss parts. That way they know exactly what grill model you are inquiring about.

If you are looking to make a warranty claim, you would probably have to list a date in the year it was manufactured and list something other than "Second party" for the vendor.

I'm not a metallurgist Larry, but I could see some difference between repeated heating and cooling over time, versus applying direct heat and then more heat when one decided it wasn't hot enough, then "just a little hotter to get it to bend", ending up with a "Hey, I see the guys on Forging Fire get metal red hot and make it move, so let's try it".

Just trying to prevent an inadvertent disaster :)

I hope no one was planning to get the aluminum glowing in order to straighten it out. From my experience, aluminum isn't like steel or iron that glows long before it melts. I have melted and cast aluminum before and from my experience, it basically melts before it glows. I don't think heating it up to 500-700 degrees would hurt when trying to straighten it out, but I also don't think it is necessary. Like I said before, I have straightened three or for fire boxes over the last couple years with no heat. Just simply putting the box on its back and apply my weight at various points across the front of the fire box. Takes just a few minutes and if you use a yard stick, you can measure how straight it is as you proceed in straightening it. Of course, if you don't want to remove the fire box from the frame, bar clamps are probably the way to go. Again, no real need for any heat IMO.

You don't need to melt it just get heat on it to make it less brittle is all. Cast aluminum hell cast any metal is VERY brittle and will not take well to being "moved" without heat

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! They replaced mine when it was over 10 years old! I've always had great response from Weber. Maybe things are changing?

Oh they're not "changing" they've changed.

Larry, Sometimes I think it is just the guy you happen to talk to in CS. I find that with a lot of outfits. I just keep calling back until I get the answer I want.
I remember early in my rehabbing days, I got a grill with that dreaded fade on the hood. I registered the grill and even put the date of purchase as when I got it and listed the vendor as "Second party". I called Weber to see if there was any way to get rid of the fade and they asked if I had registered it and I said yes. I knew from earlier interactions that hey don't like to discuss parts for grills unless it is registered...so they can be sure they are talking about the same grill as you are. They looked up my account, found the grill in my account. Then they asked me to send photos of the faded hood. I did so and the next day I got an email back asking for my address so they could send me a new hood.

I never asked for one. I never mentioned warranty. I didn't even realize it was under warranty. I guess I just got a nice one that day.

It wasn't like that with my issue. In my case with the Summit I lost the original paperwork. Had never registered it either figuring the ACE did it but I git it through a closeout when they were going out of business. Enough time had gone by I had no idea it was under warranty. I had called them simply asking to buy the part. Even then no one at Weber CS picked up on the fact it was is warranty. They were looking up the part for me to actually buy it and than told me they didn't stock it any more. I related that here and someone (I forget who) knew a rep there. SO then it was her who discovered it should be warranty, and did what she could to locate a new part. Bottom line was she called me back to tell me they no longer supported the grill and when I asked about the fact it was still under warranty she escalated the issue for me. From there I got a contact from a "supervisor" who unapologeticly said there was nothing they could do except MAYBE offer me a discount on an equivalent Genesis II series. However when they shot the prices they would sell to me for they were HIGHER than if I walked into Home Depot or what have you and bought one off the rack. When I spoke to them again it was too bad so sad. Take it or leave it. I left it and I will forever. A new Weber will never grace my home again. Because of the horrid attitude

Yah, not sure if it is still under warranty, but if so, go on the Weber site and register it with the serial number. use the date or make one up for the when you actually purchased it. Then call them back and see if they will help you out. Like I said, new guy might give you a new answer. Or, did you get rid of it???

I still have it. Just don’t have any time to work on these during the week. And yes I was able to register it tonight. I will call Weber tomorrow to see what can be done. I put the purchase date as the date when I purchased it. Not sure if the 2nd, 3rd or Xth owner. If they honor it great. If not I am ok too. Let’s see what happens.

I still have it. Just don’t have any time to work on these during the week. And yes I was able to register it tonight. I will call Weber tomorrow to see what can be done. I put the purchase date as the date when I purchased it. Not sure if the 2nd, 3rd or Xth owner. If they honor it great. If not I am ok too. Let’s see what happens.

Just called Weber.... They are going to send me a new grill box. Lets see what happens....
If it really comes I could call them about the stainless steel hood as well. The inner liner is rusted out. It is also covered with a 25 year warranty....

Last edited:
There ya go. Glad they hooked you up. If they said they are sending a cookbox, I think you can relax and expect it will arrive in the next several days....probably early next week.

They said that to me too but than called and told me no. Wait and see. How old is the grill you're asking them about? What model again? Maybe they made it for enough time and numbers to support it. Best of luck, wish I had gotten that lucky

It is a 2005 Platinum C. However when I registered it with the serial number it showed up on the Weber site as Gold C. According to ereplacementparts the cookboxes are still available for these Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum models. I just wonder what color it will be. I don't mind if black or grey as long as I get one.. I need to match color with the hood lid anyhow. ;-)

Yeah I think they made that fire box for a really long time. Glad you could do it. Of course with the top of the line grill they leave you hanging :(

Back