Aaaaaaaaand, we're smoking. Pit master roll call . . .

Two racks of baby back ribs came off the smoker a few minutes ago, and corn on the cob will be done soon. The beer is cold, and I'm ready to eat. I can't do pictures from this tablet but I'll post a couple after I eat- unless I fall asleep.

Oh, and the weather in the Piedmont Triad of NC is perfect. Sunny, no wind, and 78 degrees at 5:48 p.m. :)

Last edited:
Delay in launching Smoke Day here in San Jose. Turns out my neighbor is hosting a baby shower on their patio. Prevailing winds blowing right at their patio. Don't want to smoke out the ladies in the flowery summer dresses. Hopefully baby festivities will end soon so that barbecue festivities can begin. :)

Just made friends with my local butcher....

...picked up a 10 lbs Boston Butt (2.49/lbs) and he told me he was selling untrimmed brisket packer for 4.99/lbs. I left with the butt going to Smoke on Monday. But I'll be coming back for the brisket!

(questioned, is 4.99/lbs for "untrimmed" brisket [7.99/lbs trimmed] as good as I think it is? Or is "untrimmed" code for garbage or something?)

Ribs went on around 145 pm CT (2 racks of back ribs), 2 trays of thighs (comp practice) on around 3-330 PM CT. Sausages and "apple pie" beans after that, then we eat! Hoping the rain stays away here in North Texas
Man.....BBQing was rained out in Rowlett today.
I need a car port.

Beautiful day in Upstate NY. Spare ribs went on around 11:30 this morning and cooked through the afternoon.

Getting ready to pull, slice and serve.

wsm_sd_066s_zpslxjyfdwi.jpg

Just made friends with my local butcher....
...picked up a 10 lbs Boston Butt (2.49/lbs) and he told me he was selling untrimmed brisket packer for 4.99/lbs. I left with the butt going to Smoke on Monday. But I'll be coming back for the brisket!
(questioned, is 4.99/lbs for "untrimmed" brisket [7.99/lbs trimmed] as good as I think it is? Or is "untrimmed" code for garbage or something?)
A few weeks ago I picked up cryovac packers @ $1.98/#
I had room in the freezer for 4 of them.

I've got 1 rack of SLRs on the 14.5 here in beautiful North County San Diego. Should be done 8 to 9 pm. Will post a few pix later.

Woke up to rain this am. So it's nice & cool with a light breeze with some occasional sun this afternoon. Totally delightful weather.

Last edited:
Late start due kids soccer but 2 racks of bob ribs going on on a few. 2 butts for Sunday.
Remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom!
Cheers to all
Ed

Nice rack! Hope you gave them a fair trial before you hung them!!!
I thought you might like that Rack. My first time to use it. I lost my meat hooks, so I had to suspend them on a turkey stand and a beer can stand, lol

I ended up with 19lbs of spare ribs...I trimmed them St. Louis style and cooked all the little nubs and what not as well...I used the Harry Soo homemade rub and tried wrapping with Honey and brown sugar...That worked great for some of the ribs but some of the parts that got too much heat blackened...I will wait waaaay longer next time before adding honey and brown sugar. It tasted great on the ones it worked on but next time I will wrap with some apple juice to render out the last 1/2 gallon of grease and fat and then THEN hit them with honey and brown sugar for 30 or so min...
This is how it all looked before foiling...
I used the kingsford competition and I really liked it. It was definitely hotter and produced far less ash. I also like that it didn't have that kingsford blue smell...good stuff.
VQH79sj.jpg

I know it looks like a crazy mess but I got it all on the top rack so the fat would drip and catch on foil below. It all smoked great.

Back