New Weber pellet grills for 2020

If you're like me, I didn't know Chris had updated his OP back in Sept.
From Chris:
"Each grill will hold an entire bag of pellets. Weber will offer a pellet blend, as well as individual flavors like apple, hickory, etc. Twenty pound bags of pellets will sell for $16.99. In an attempt to address the concern of "lack of smoky flavor" from pellet grills, Weber pellets will feature a larger percentage of "flavor wood" vs. "base wood" as compared to competitive pellets."

If you're like me, I didn't know Chris had updated his OP back in Sept.
From Chris:
"Each grill will hold an entire bag of pellets. Weber will offer a pellet blend, as well as individual flavors like apple, hickory, etc. Twenty pound bags of pellets will sell for $16.99. In an attempt to address the concern of "lack of smoky flavor" from pellet grills, Weber pellets will feature a larger percentage of "flavor wood" vs. "base wood" as compared to competitive pellets."

For that price, I might try one or two just to see, but I doubt I would keep paying that price when you can get excellent pellets by Lumberjack and CookinPellets.com for considerably less.

Well just when I get the charcoal figured out now if I get a pellet grill I have to get the pellets sorted out, oh well that's part of the fun of grilling/smoking.

I looked at Pit Boss pellet grills at Lowe's yesterday, one thing I noticed was how low the control panel is, you'd have to stoop to set it.
The latest Weber FB tease shows their panel above the side table.

75242228_10156974447493422_1977856942596423680_n.jpg

Yeah, that's a good idea and a definite improvement. On my Rec Tec it is built into the front of the left side table. So, yes, you do have to stoop or bend to adjust it - at least with my vision!

vxFSGTv.jpg

Actually, the better brands seem to do well overall. Not saying there aren't failures now and then, but not as bad as you might expect. I know Rec Tec will help you with full customer service, replacements, etc. It is pretty much a modular unit that is easy enough to swap out.

I looked at Pit Boss pellet grills at Lowe's yesterday, one thing I noticed was how low the control panel is, you'd have to stoop to set it.
The latest Weber FB tease shows their panel above the side table.

75242228_10156974447493422_1977856942596423680_n.jpg

Looks like the Smoke Fire will have four meat probes rather than only two like my Rec Tec.

Good read, thanks Rich.

Question for Chris A, if you see this.
Do you plan to get one of these? It would be nice if Weber sent you one for a review.

I'm regretting buying my 26" Kettle cuz this pellet pooper could do what I bought the 26 for ... and a lot more. Yeah, its a lot more money but has a lot more uses.

Yes, thank you Rich! Very interesting, I don’t think I will be able to justify the price to the CFO so, I will have to be satisfied with enjoying one of those by proxy!

Yes, thank you Rich! Very interesting, I don’t think I will be able to justify the price to the CFO so, I will have to be satisfied with enjoying one of those by proxy!

When I first brought up the idea of getting a pellet grill to Barb her reply was "in your dreams Bozo". This was before I learned about Weber's introduction of a pellet grill. I causally told her about Weber's, at least what I knew she seemed interested. After we talked about downsizing our fleet of ten Weber's and gaining some much needed space in our small back yard she said "will see".

Also I checked with one of the fire management folks and he said they were aware of the increase in pellet grills but they didn't have enough information yet to determine if they would allow there use during fire restrictions. He was inclined to think they would be allowed due to the fact the fire is more incapsulated vs. a charcoal grill.

But like you said Tim I'm not sure the finance minister / war dept. is going to buy in. My next approach is to calculate which grills would go and which I will keep and see if I can come up with the cash by selling some and no money will come out of the household budget. Then I'm sure I'd have a winner.

Last edited:
Rich:
I had a 24" Camp Chef model picked out at about $500 (bottom firepot cleanout and pellet cleanout) until I started seeing the details of the forthcoming Weber. For now, I'll keep smoking with my Genesis with the Smokemiester attachment which uses pellets. In conjunction with my Smoke, is seems semi-automatic. Front burner only to get to 225 degrees. Still needs monitoring for hours depending on the wind, but the Smoke allows me to fully range the house. I'm going to try Costco ribs instead of the ones I was getting from Albertsons. They were cheaper, and good for learning to smoke with my equipment. I finally got it down pretty well and I really don't have room for a 2nd grill. A pellet grill would have to be stored elsewhere and just moved into position on the patio to do a job. Somehow, I think even a pellet grill would require some monitoring. At age 69 not even going to attempt to get into a WSM and all the practices that go with it. I guy here in LV has been posting a 18" WSM on a cart with gaskets and accessories for close to 18 months with no takers. My E-320 blue sidewinder hybrid does what I need for now. I'll just have to keep fighting the urge to jump for a pellet grill.

Back