Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip

Doug, that recipe sounds delicious and I'm going to be making that real soon. Love mushrooms and with the smoke awesome. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Dougs Mushroom Dip

I was thinking of making this dip for Thanksgiving. Is making it today too far in advance? What goes good with this.....crackers, bread, chips etc?

Thanks

Hey Dave,
Nice to see you posting, hadn’t seen you in a while.
I don’t think this is too soon make the dip, flavors will mellow nicely over the course of a couple of days.
I’d probably use toasted sliced baguette for that dip but, slice them fairly thin and not over toast.
I’m still very much pleased with my WSM! Not using it for Thanksgiving this year, I will be kettling the turkey.

Last edited:
Tim,

I am glad you still enjoy your WMS. I do more reading than posting and yes still smoking. I have been doing large smokes with my 22 WMS usually 6-8 butts at a time. I seam to get asked to smoke for Anniversaries, Grad parties, and church events. I am using my kettle for Thanksgiving also, but I am going to spin my bird.

Hoping to get a response on this soon...approximately how many people will this serve? Will any mushroom suffice, portobello? Sliced baguette the way to go for serving? I know most of those are subjective but mainly wondering how may this will be good for. I think I'm going to caramelize a small red onion and crisp a few pieces of smoked bacon as well.

Hard to believe that it's been 15 years ago I posted this recipe. Not surprising is that TVWB is still going strong. I continue to be amazed (amused?) that the #1 Google result for "smoked mushroom dip" all these years later is this thread. And that, today, at least from this locale, the grocery whose smoked mushroom dip I reverse-engineered way-back-when is Google result #2.

Hard to believe that it's been 15 years ago I posted this recipe. Not surprising is that TVWB is still going strong. I continue to be amazed (amused?) that the #1 Google result for "smoked mushroom dip" all these years later is this thread. And that, today, at least from this locale, the grocery whose smoked mushroom dip I reverse-engineered way-back-when is Google result #2.

Kudos to you cause this is a keeper!

Tim

Fantastic dip, made it last week with a pork butt (first time injecting!). I couldn't find a dang pine nut anywhere though. I have my wife on the lookout for some for future dips.

It doesn't really bring anything to the final product but texture. It's only in the recipe because it was in the original dip I replicated. Unless you have some other use for pine nuts, which are expensive, just leave it out. I do.

It doesn't really bring anything to the final product but texture. It's only in the recipe because it was in the original dip I replicated. Unless you have some other use for pine nuts, which are expensive, just leave it out. I do.

Good to know. I don't recall what a pine nut tastes like anyway!

I was able to get pine nuts in bulk prior to the pandemic. Still expensive but not as bad as those ridiculous bags hanging in the baking aisle. I'd usually buy a hair over what the recipe calls for.

Back