2005 Weber Genesis B Restoration-Rust on Frame

Well finally got everything disassembled today and there ended up being a little more rust than was visible once I took the sides off the cart. I am kind of upset at myself since I paid 150 bucks thinking it was in better shape.

One thing I also noticed was there appears to be some rust inside the square steel that makes the frame. Is this off any concern? Is there a remedy to it?

There was a lot of rust inside the frame of the Genesis Silver B I restored (didn't actually fully restore it, just cleaned and repaired).

I shook out the loose rust and then sprayed Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer liberally from each open end of the tubes. This product is supposed to be a rust converter, is fairly cheap and has the advantage of being black so it doesn't matter much if you get it where it shouldn't go.

If I were going all out I'd use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating which comes with a 24" long applicator which would be ideal for the frame tubing.

Rust inside the frame rails is common and expected. If it isn't causing rust through, you are fine. They all have it to some degree. You can spray some rust encapsulator inside the frame and legs, but I wouldn't bother. You can never get it all the way and coat the entire frame.

Oh that's a lot nicer than the one I saw. I saw one in Westford for free. Just a smaller or lower end one.

What are you looking for in a cook box? I might have one to give away. I kept it as a spare but I’m not sure that I will ever use it.

What are you looking for in a cook box? I might have one to give away. I kept it as a spare but I’m not sure that I will ever use it.

I'm cleaning up a Weber Genesis platinum 3400 style grill. The fire box if in pretty bad shape decent hole where the burner screws down and corrosion on many other spots. It's probably serviceable but I've been hunting for a donor grill to snag the fire box from that has the 13 bars. I tried snagging what looks like it should be the right box (with a red lid) off of Craigslist in Westford but the person isn't responding to my email.

I'm cleaning up a Weber Genesis platinum 3400 style grill. The fire box if in pretty bad shape decent hole where the burner screws down and corrosion on many other spots. It's probably serviceable but I've been hunting for a donor grill to snag the fire box from that has the 13 bars. I tried snagging what looks like it should be the right box (with a red lid) off of Craigslist in Westford but the person isn't responding to my email.

Keep looking, you'll find one. Do you know you can "save" a Craig's List search and Craig's List will email you when something new matching your search is listed?

When I stop and think about it I'm staggered by how much easily repairable stuff we all throw away. I could make a modest living if I had to just repairing and reselling Craig's List appliances, tools, vehicles, etc.

The biggest issue after further investigation, is my bottom pan. Has anyone fabricated a replacement out of aluminum or stainless? Does anyone sell these?

I was thinking of making a replacement out of one of these materials or going with the cedar slants for the bottom.

I believe they are being sold on line, but I think most get replacements from other grills. I know of no one that has fabbed up a replacement.

Sure, I wouldn't replace the bottom panel with another same one. It will just rust again. Converting it to something similar to the old Genesis 1000 bottoms would be a good idea to allow any moisture to drain through easily and allow ample air circulation.

Last edited:
Sure, I wouldn't replace the bottom panel with another same one. It will just rust again. Converting it to something similar to the old Genesis 1000 bottoms would be a good idea to allow any moisture to drain through easily and allow ample air circulation.

Any idea on the best way of converting the frame bottom so I can still attach the sides and doors of the cart?

I would think that using regular Weber Z buyers and wood slats would work just fine. I'm pretty sure the doors are raised up enough to clear the Z bars

Where can I purchase the Z Bars? Does someone sell them pre-cut? Thanks for all the help!

The McMaster ones are a good deal and since they are aluminum they cut readily and won't rust. They are not the same dimension as the originals, even after being cut.

If you are willing to pay more, you can step it up to ones made by Dave Santana known as "rcplanebuyer" on eBay. He makes Z-bars almost identical to the original Weber ones, but out of high-grade stainless steel.

You can find Dave on the San Francisco Bay section of Craigslist by searching for something like "Weber grates" or "Weber bars". Look for the ad from Burlingame CA. You can use the link to contact Dave about whatever you need. If you use CL you can save $ over contacting him on eBay where he has to pay them their share. Mention that you heard about him on TVWBB.

If you are willing to pay more, you can step it up to ones made by Dave Santana known as "rcplanebuyer" on eBay. He makes Z-bars almost identical to the original Weber ones, but out of high-grade stainless steel.

You can find Dave on the San Francisco Bay section of Craigslist by searching for something like "Weber grates" or "Weber bars". Look for the ad from Burlingame CA. You can use the link to contact Dave about whatever you need. If you use CL you can save $ over contacting him on eBay where he has to pay them their share. Mention that you heard about him on TVWBB.
I will add this to the Weber gas grill parts source sticky thread.

I had a link to the Craigslist listing but it went bad so I removed it. Maybe the one I used expired and he had to make a new one. But if you do the search mentioned above you will find him.

I know that most people don't recommend replacing the bottom panel, but I did for my personal grill. I purchased the panel for the Silver B for around $90 including shipping. I figure that the original one lasted since 2005, so I should be able to get another 12-14 years out of the new one. Everything else is in good shape, so I'm sure that the grill will last that long.

I like the looks of the open cart, but also like having somewhere to store the brushes and smoker boxes when not in use.

I know that most people don't recommend replacing the bottom panel, but I did for my personal grill. I purchased the panel for the Silver B for around $90 including shipping. I figure that the original one lasted since 2005, so I should be able to get another 12-14 years out of the new one. Everything else is in good shape, so I'm sure that the grill will last that long.

I like the looks of the open cart, but also like having somewhere to store the brushes and smoker boxes when not in use.

I think what is important is that you take care to keep that bottom panel clean and dry. I would suggest waxing it well on both sides with auto wax. Moisture and scratches does them in. You might want to do something in addition to protect the metal from the brushes and smoker boxes.

Some bottom trays only last a few years, but I agree with good care you can do a lot better than that. Of course, being able to store your grill in a garage or shed (vs. leaving it outside in Florida like I have to do) would also be a big help!.

Back