CBS article on price of brisket

Not worried about Zabar's. I am concerned wuth the price of brisket going up so much lately. Even Costco has hiked their price and occasionally only does flats. Pork shoulder is slowly raising too.

Of course a boycott would mean no delicious brisket for awhile.

Can not find packers at Costco around here. Choice flats only for 8.99/lb. That's the reason i bought the membership. I picked up the last prime packer in the case in early May and have not seen them since.

9 dollars a pound, for a flat???? And choice, not even prime?

I have to hit a Costco in the next few days, I will make it a point to check the cooler. Local butcher shop a few miles up the road has packers for under $4/lb.

Get on Creekstone Farms email list. Occasionally they run specials and they send email notification.

Back in June, I bought two Creekstone " upper 2/3 choice " briskets, $60 each. They weighed around 12# each.

And I'm reading more and more, that in the rush to meet demand for prime brisket, that there's a lot of brisket getting graded as prime, that's not really prime. Ranchers are putting a lot of fat on their cattle, but its not marbling, its just fat on the outside of the cut. Take that for what its worth, but I've read it two or three times now. Demand for prime brisket is through the roof.

Choice might actually be the better choice, no pun intended :)

Packers at Costco here in the hinterlands were $3.29/lb. last week, should have picked up more but, the freezer is straining now!

Supply and demand is all it is. I'm more worried about pork prices. China has a strong demand for pork products and is experiencing a bad bit of African swine fever. Chinese pork producers are looking at killing herds (some, not all) reducing supply and driving up prices there. If/when China resumes US pork imports (tariff spats), I could see our prices rising here too.

And Smithfield is the largest pork and pig producer in the world. Ironic how it's a wholly owned subsidiary of the WH Group of China....

I have read a half dozen similar articles in the last month or so.
All of the others mentioned the popularity and ease of use of pellet
smokers as a contributing factor. I am surprised this article omitted
that part.

The same thing happened to chicken wings. When I was a kid 35 years ago, we would have chicken wings all the time, shake n bake before the buffalo wing took hold, because my parents bought them because they were cheap, now, what was once considered scraps are priced through the roof.

The same thing happened to chicken wings. When I was a kid 35 years ago, we would have chicken wings all the time, shake n bake before the buffalo wing took hold, because my parents bought them because they were cheap, now, what was once considered scraps are priced through the roof.

I remember Flank steaks being dirt cheap when I was young too!!!

I have read a half dozen similar articles in the last month or so.
All of the others mentioned the popularity and ease of use of pellet
smokers as a contributing factor. I am surprised this article omitted
that part.

Last weekend we took a ride out to Minooka for a BBQ for our God daughter's college graduation.
Prolly saw 10-15 pellet smokers in use on the 30 min drive there and 10 more when we hit the subdivision. ( Six I could see just from my nephews backyard) and they were all smoking.

Tim

Last weekend we took a ride out to Minooka for a BBQ for our God daughter's college graduation.
Prolly saw 10-15 pellet smokers in use on the 30 min drive there and 10 more when we hit the subdivision. ( Six I could see just from my nephews backyard) and they were all smoking.

Tim

Yup. There are several within the last couple of years within 2 or 3 blocks of here.

Nowadays, only a cut like 7-bone steak is cheap. Is there anything good you can do with those?

that's a chuck right?

i've been smoking big pieces of boneless chuck (4lbs+) like brisket and they've been great.

IIrpKZx.jpg

YfMwvsR.jpg

Back