Q lid repaint

Yeah, Bruce, I am afraid I bought a bunch of paint I won’t be able to use:mad:. Some of the colors are so attractive it is hard to resist. I wonder how it would work if I painted a base coat of one of those extreme high heat paints, cured that and then painted with engine paint followed by an extreme heat clear coat? A lot of extra work, but the engine paint is a sunk cost and comes in the kind of colors I am after. I would still like to find a way to make it work.

Jon,
That might work....but only trying it will give you the answer. I thought it would be cool to use one of those Anodized colors for a Q lid.

Yeah, Bruce, I am afraid I bought a bunch of paint I won’t be able to use:mad:. Some of the colors are so attractive it is hard to resist. I wonder how it would work if I painted a base coat of one of those extreme high heat paints, cured that and then painted with engine paint followed by an extreme heat clear coat? A lot of extra work, but the engine paint is a sunk cost and comes in the kind of colors I am after. I would still like to find a way to make it work.

I will check with my colleague that received the other one I upcycled to see how his paint is doing , he collected it in the week and had it fired up on Friday.

As mentioned, the 550 degree paints should be avoided. I have been using the VHT products for
over a year now have great results with the caliper paint, and the flame proof. Also Jon, you are
correct about the using the gloss over the flat. It works very well, and make the flats shine up
like a new dime.

Dave in KC: when you use the caliber paint or Flame Proof, do you use the VHT high heat primer first and then the VHT clear on top? Thanks, Richard.

As mentioned, the 550 degree paints should be avoided. I have been using the VHT products for
over a year now have great results with the caliper paint, and the flame proof. Also Jon, you are
correct about the using the gloss over the flat. It works very well, and make the flats shine up
like a new dime.

Dave,

Do you think my sandwich idea has any merit? I am going to at least try it on my own Q2200 and see what happens. If it is a flop that’s what paint stripper and an angle grinder wire brush are for:eek:!

Dave in KC: when you use the caliber paint or Flame Proof, do you use the VHT high heat primer first and then the VHT clear on top? Thanks, Richard.

Richard, I have not used the primer.

Jon, I do not think it will work, but I really do not know for sure.
At this point, you might at well give it a try. If you happen to have a
parts grill with NG burners, you could connect propane, fire that up to
800-900 degrees and give it a good test.

I used Rust-Oleum 2,000 degree High heat paint that I baked in the oven. It has been three years since it was painted and still looks like the day I did it.

Dave,

Do you think my sandwich idea has any merit? I am going to at least try it on my own Q2200 and see what happens. If it is a flop that’s what paint stripper and an angle grinder wire brush are for:eek:!

I have had paint issues will update the Silver C thread also. I just did my UDS a month ago used Krylon High heat and I sprayed the VHT Satin Flameproof clear. I let everything cure but I really wish I had fired the UDS up and baked this stuff for awhile. I bought a inexpensive cover for it which I put on and this weekend I decided to add another mod to it the damn cover stuck to the lid its been hot but it was under a covered deck. I think its okay looks like the cover with the heat of the sun stuck to the clear, did not really leave that much damage hard to describe so going to fire it up this weekend as I need to do a test burn anyway.

My colleague has been using the Q I painted with the same engine enamel and his is fine. There must have been issues with the prep of my lid as mine has pitting. Here is my colleagues lid
48323972491_2e97cb00bc_b.jpg
[/url]EBCC6435-5190-435A-9F76-2564DB79C038 by Liz Quentin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Liz, any idea what you did differently between the two. I have two to paint and want to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Thanks, Richard.

If it isn't the paint, then it is most likely the prep for the paint. Were both lids completely stripped of the original paint, or did you just clean and paint over the weber paint? We both lids cleaned the same way? What did you do in preparation for painting? Any chance one lid got contaminated between cleaning/prepping and actual painting?

On the bottom edge on the front of the lid on the right side, I see a couple "bubbles" or is that just bumps in the aluminum lid?

On the lid that had problems, you would likely see some kind of pattern where the paint failed vs areas where it looked fine. If that is the case, then it would indicate the lid wasn't cleaned and/or prepped completely before painting.

Liz, any idea what you did differently between the two. I have two to paint and want to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Thanks, Richard.
I did them both at the same time, mine first which has issues.
I took mine back to bare metal and the majority of the other.
They were both washed in soapy water, rinsed, left to dry and then I wiped them over with acetone.
I then primed, sprayed and glossed mine and then did the other one.

I know my lid has more dink’s and pitting in it and also the bubbles only seem to be on the front?

NFL training camps open this week. Chiefs fans are talking Superbowl or bust
with our MVP quarterback. I made a Chiefs Q1200 a couple of weeks ago and it
sold fast. So I did a 2200 and two 1000's this weekend.

SPMt5Stl.jpg

The 2200 is already sold, just waiting on an igniter to come tomorrow.
A neighbor walking by saw it, and bought it on the spot. Hopefully the others go
quick. I have two 300's I am considering doing the same with in a couple weeks.

Bruce, that is my wife's handy work. She has one of those Cricut printers.
Simply pay the NFL their cut (they may go broke otherwise ... :) ) then
you can download and print. Although, it's not really printing, it cuts
vinyl.

Dave,
THAT is very cool:cool: and GREAT handiwork on both your part and your wife's! Awesome teamwork;). I wish I could paint a few teal and put a Dolphins logo on them and enjoy the same success:rolleyes: - not likely for many more seasons...

Back